Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polymetal CX-30 AWD 2.5L Turbo Premium+
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was dismayed that my new CX-30 didn't come from the factory with fog lights. All the other Mazda SUVs have fogs. Has anybody located a decent aftermarket kit? Is there phantom wiring already in the car so you can just hook things up - I've seen that in a number of European cars.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,520 Posts
had fogs on my last three new vehicles, and didn't find it much of an advantage, also with the LED lighting on my CX-30, it out-performs what they provided.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in an all too often foggy/rainy environment in Washington State. Fogs do make a difference at night. I've had autos with fog lights since 1970. If they weren't factory equipped, I installed them. Outward edges of the lower opening on the front of the Mazda CX-30 is the logical location for fogs.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
829 Posts
I was dismayed that my new CX-30 didn't come from the factory with fog lights. All the other Mazda SUVs have fogs. Has anybody located a decent aftermarket kit? Is there phantom wiring already in the car so you can just hook things up - I've seen that in a number of European cars.
The UK version doesn't have fog lights either - it is claimed (by Mazda) that the LED lights perform the fog light function directly and that fog lamps are therefore not needed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The UK version doesn't have fog lights either - it is claimed (by Mazda) that the LED lights perform the fog light function directly and that fog lamps are therefore not needed.
I'll have to evaluate Mazda's claim about the LED lights during our next inclement weather.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
829 Posts
I'll have to evaluate Mazda's claim about the LED lights during our next inclement weather.
I've been very impressed with the lights on my CX-30, but oddly enough, the top models with the adaptive models are not rated as highly as the models with 'just' LED lights.

·
Registered
'20 CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
162 Posts
I think my lighting spec is "adaptive" but I haven't yet figured out exactly what that means. Lights turn when wheels turn?
I have a Premium model with the adaptive headlights. They do move as the steering wheel turns. I had my car for several months before really driving it much at night so I was skeptical. It's actually nice now that I've driven it at night more - if you're somewhere that's not really that dark (in a well lit urban area) it might not be that noticeable. I live in a rural area that's DARK so I can definitely tell the difference - it's more obvious when a turn is finished and the lights straighten back up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mazda's correct, IMHO. The adaptive LED's in the CX-30 are more than sufficient to obviate the need for "fog lights." I had incandescent fogs on my Saab wagon in addition to bi-xenon head lamps. The fogs helped modestly in bad weather. The Mazda LED's are almost too powerful. Every other night, it seems, I get "flashed" by an oncoming car (always with incandescents) thinking I have my high beams on, when they've already been automatically dimmed. But I love the range and power of the lamps. The automatic turning of the lights on curved roads is really fun. Bottom line...if I did lots of night driving in foggy areas, maybe if moose were a concern (not kidding), I'd get fogs. But not needed where I live (moose-less).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mazda's correct, IMHO. The adaptive LED's in the CX-30 are more than sufficient to obviate the need for "fog lights." I had incandescent fogs on my Saab wagon in addition to bi-xenon head lamps. The fogs helped modestly in bad weather. The Mazda LED's are almost too powerful. Every other night, it seems, I get "flashed" by an oncoming car (always with incandescents) thinking I have my high beams on, when they've already been automatically dimmed. But I love the range and power of the lamps. The automatic turning of the lights on curved roads is really fun. Bottom line...if I did lots of night driving in foggy areas, maybe if moose were a concern (not kidding), I'd get fogs. But not needed where I live (moose-less).
I have to disagree with Mazda's assessment of the LED headlights. I've had fog lights on every car I've driven since 1968. If they didn't come from the factory, I installed them. ALL the EU produced cars (Volvo, VW, Audi, MBenz, BMW) I owned had factory fogs from the late 1980s up to this year when I purchased my CX30 Turbo. A true fog light has low, flat & wide light thrown on the road to illuminate road edges. This light pattern doesn't reflect off fog & heavy rain and the classic preferred light color is yellow which also reduces reflectance. I just don't see these charactoristics in my Mazda's LEDs. It wasn't a deal breaker, only a disappointment.

·
Registered
2021 CX30 Premium Turbo
25 Posts
Only premium cx30 built before October 2020 have the lower rating on the adaptive headlights. Changes were made to production starting with October 2020 vehicles that iihs.org changed rating to good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to disagree with Mazda's assessment of the LED headlights. I've had fog lights on every car I've driven since 1968. If they didn't come from the factory, I installed them. ALL the EU produced cars (Volvo, VW, Audi, MBenz, BMW) I owned had factory fogs from the late 1980s up to this year when I purchased my CX30 Turbo. A true fog light has low, flat & wide light thrown on the road to illuminate road edges. This light pattern doesn't reflect off fog & heavy rain and the classic preferred light color is yellow which also reduces reflectance. I just don't see these charactoristics in my Mazda's LEDs. It wasn't a deal breaker, only a disappointment.
I guess you forgot a car when your earlier post said 1970, and now 1968. ;) I guess that will happen to me when I get old. LOL!

Anyway, why not just install fog lights on the car like you have in the past and be done with it. I don't drive much in the dark because of the risk of animal strikes, but when I do, these LED headlights are the brightest headlights I have ever had in a car. Sure hope the plastic lenses don't fog up because they will be a pain to polish out tucked in the way they are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I realize this thread is a little old, but I live in moose country and I like to have additional light bars on all of my vehicles and I am looking for information on which wire at the driver's side headlight is used for the high beams so I can tap into it to trigger my relay so that the light bar will only work when the high beams are on.

·
Registered
22 CX 30 Turbo GT & 22 3 in Soul Red
556 Posts
I think that would be a good location if you keep them forward enough to illuminate to the sides and have a rigid mount point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts