Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

Fog Light kit for CX-30?

16K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Trickster 
#1 ·
I was dismayed that my new CX-30 didn't come from the factory with fog lights. All the other Mazda SUVs have fogs. Has anybody located a decent aftermarket kit? Is there phantom wiring already in the car so you can just hook things up - I've seen that in a number of European cars.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
I live in an all too often foggy/rainy environment in Washington State. Fogs do make a difference at night. I've had autos with fog lights since 1970. If they weren't factory equipped, I installed them. Outward edges of the lower opening on the front of the Mazda CX-30 is the logical location for fogs.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
The UK version doesn't have fog lights either - it is claimed (by Mazda) that the LED lights perform the fog light function directly and that fog lamps are therefore not needed.
I'll have to evaluate Mazda's claim about the LED lights during our next inclement weather.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I think my lighting spec is "adaptive" but I haven't yet figured out exactly what that means. Lights turn when wheels turn?

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Mazda's correct, IMHO. The adaptive LED's in the CX-30 are more than sufficient to obviate the need for "fog lights." I had incandescent fogs on my Saab wagon in addition to bi-xenon head lamps. The fogs helped modestly in bad weather. The Mazda LED's are almost too powerful. Every other night, it seems, I get "flashed" by an oncoming car (always with incandescents) thinking I have my high beams on, when they've already been automatically dimmed. But I love the range and power of the lamps. The automatic turning of the lights on curved roads is really fun. Bottom line...if I did lots of night driving in foggy areas, maybe if moose were a concern (not kidding), I'd get fogs. But not needed where I live (moose-less).
I have to disagree with Mazda's assessment of the LED headlights. I've had fog lights on every car I've driven since 1968. If they didn't come from the factory, I installed them. ALL the EU produced cars (Volvo, VW, Audi, MBenz, BMW) I owned had factory fogs from the late 1980s up to this year when I purchased my CX30 Turbo. A true fog light has low, flat & wide light thrown on the road to illuminate road edges. This light pattern doesn't reflect off fog & heavy rain and the classic preferred light color is yellow which also reduces reflectance. I just don't see these charactoristics in my Mazda's LEDs. It wasn't a deal breaker, only a disappointment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.