Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium (Polymetal Gray)
170 Posts
The only way to accurately get a read on gas consumption is the manual way. The computer estimate can be optimistic by a few or more MPGs, or it can be below what is actually happening. It also matters on how often you reset the computer estimate...... Try the manual way to compare. Fill your car up, reset the trip odometer (A or B..... I use B to track oil changes), drive a couple of hundred miles. Fill your car up again. Divide the number of miles driven since last fill up on your trip odometer by the gallons of gas you put in on the current fill. Compare your manual calculation to the computer.....

Tire pressure matters, so check that, especially when it's cold outside. If you drive with a heavy foot on the gas or brake, low mileage is gonna happen.

·
Registered
2021 cx30 (100 yr edition)
174 Posts
The only way to accurately get a read on gas consumption is the manual way. The computer estimate can be optimistic by a few or more MPGs, or it can be below what is actually happening. It also matters on how often you reset the computer estimate...... Try the manual way to compare. Fill your car up, reset the trip odometer (A or B..... I use B to track oil changes), drive a couple of hundred miles. Fill your car up again. Divide the number of miles driven since last fill up on your trip odometer by the gallons of gas you put in on the current fill. Compare your manual calculation to the computer.....

Tire pressure matters, so check that, especially when it's cold outside. If you drive with a heavy foot on the gas or brake, low mileage is gonna happen.
Yes, I agree with you completely. As I wrote in the post above

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium (Polymetal Gray)
170 Posts
Yes, I agree with you completely. As I wrote in the post above
Yes sir, you did. Apologies and I should have quoted your string in agreement. Happy New Year.

Reactions: MattOwensRees

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 S 2.5 skyactive
82 Posts
Hello,

I have the base model cx-30S, 2021, and I have drove 100% highway miles. So far my car has gone from an average of 20mpg to 34mpg in just 2 weeks. It takes a while for your average to become accurate. As the less miles you have the more skewed your data will be.
I just wish they would have put a larger gas tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all! I have a new 2021turbo premium plus which I absolutely love,but I am only getting 13.5 mpg. Almost done with my first full tank of gas in about 90 percent city driving.
Has anyone else encountered fuel economy so low? Am a bit concerned there might be something wrong with the car.
I thought I was the only one having this issue. I have a 2022 CX 30 turbo premium. I now have over 5000 miles and the gas mileage sucks. I have to fill up every 3 days. I drive 40-50 miles a day. Mostly highway. It says my MPG average is 19. Yes I have a heavy foot and use the AC. I live in south Florida. But it’s a brand new car ! Come on !!

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 S 2.5 skyactive
82 Posts
I thought I was the only one having this issue. I have a 2022 CX 30 turbo premium. I now have over 5000 miles and the gas mileage sucks. I have to fill up every 3 days. I drive 40-50 miles a day. Mostly highway. It says my MPG average is 19. Yes I have a heavy foot and use the AC. I live in south Florida. But it’s a brand new car ! Come on !!
With a turbo you add more air hence you add more fuel that extra power has to come from somewhere. Question do you really need that much extra horsepower with a CX-30 186 is plenty. I'm happy with mine.

·
Registered
22 CX 30 Turbo GT & 22 3 in Soul Red
240 Posts
With a turbo you add more air hence you add more fuel that extra power has to come from somewhere. Question do you really need that much extra horsepower with a CX-30 186 is plenty. I'm happy with mine.
Needs and wants. Life has so many choices and I choose to have the turbo over a few mpgs of better few economy. If fuel economy was a bigger concern for me I would have bought a Honda CRV or similar.
As we are fortunate to have two 2022 Mazdas and my wife’s 3 is naturally aspirated, the power delivery and drive is so much better in my CX.
Style of driving has so much to do with fuel economy that owners reports of theirs is very subjective.
As a passerby asked me yesterday “what’s the fuel economy like?”, I said I don’t know.
It is what it is, when it’s below half I fill it.
I don’t analyze fuel economy just like I don’t worry about the price of fuel, what are you going to do stop driving?
Just enjoy.

·
Registered
2022 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus AWD (Polymetal Gray)
135 Posts
Have you manually calc’d your mileage for a tank or two. An Ave of 19 mostly highway seems crazy low. I just did a couple hundred highway miles, with ac cranking, in my 2.5 Turbo last evening and I was in the 31-32 range for my miles on the highway, Add a little city on both ends and was still in the 28-29 range for the trip

·
Registered
2021 cx-30 2.5l AWD Turbo premium package
87 Posts
Hey, it's been a year of ownership, and my MPG is not much changed from my earlier post.

When the seasonal winter change comes in, everything drops 2-3mpg.

Otherwise, Highway (70mph) approx 34mpg; City (short haul, s&g) approx 19mpg

I could probably get better City mpg if I was less of a lead foot form a dead stop...but what fun is that?!?!

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX30 Preferred FWD
39 Posts
I do not have the turbo, but I have the all wheel drive and my fuel economy is terrible. The tank cannot be filled past 10 gallons, and my fuel economy has been averaging 21 miles per gallon. That is low even for city like driving. As a result, the range on my car is only approximately 200 miles which does not allow me to take road trips.
My city mpg is terrible, around 22mpg with a range of around 240 miles per tank. But I drive around in Los Angeles, heavy and congested traffic. However, out on the highway I've seen as high as 37 mpg on an 800 mi road-trip that took less than two full tanks of gas.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo Polymetal Gray
85 Posts
For reference, driving 7 days in a week will net me around 32 liters / 8.5 US gallons of 94 octane fuel used for a 45 km / 28 mile daily round trip (350 km / 196 miles total). That is 23 mpg when you calculate it, and that's exactly what my trip computer calculates as well (23 mpg). Mind you, I drive in sport mode 50% of the time. If I run it till empty I would theoretically net 400 km of range. This is with a 60/40 city/highway driving mix.

If you drive very conservatively, you can achieve up to 30 mpg in a single trip (with a turbo, my previous NA CX-30 netted me 32 mpg at its best).
I have 22,000 km on my Turbo right now, so my trip computer's dataset is pretty good now.

If you want more range, then the CX-5 or Mazda 6 has a huge fuel tank relative to the CX-30's. It's really a symptom of the CX-30 having a tiny fuel tank, that's why it's playing with our minds.

·
Registered
2022 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus AWD (Polymetal Gray)
135 Posts
If you want more range, then the CX-5 or Mazda 6 has a huge fuel tank relative to the CX-30's. It's really a symptom of the CX-30 having a tiny fuel tank, that's why it's playing with our minds.
Not so sure….the tiny fuel tank is my daughter‘s primary gripe about her CX-5. She commutes about 30 minutes to work each way.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,454 Posts
Not so sure….the tiny fuel tank is my daughter‘s primary gripe about her CX-5. She commutes about 30 minutes to work each way.
it's actually larger than a RAV4, 58L (10L larger than the CX-30) vs 55L

Reactions: IDD
21 - 33 of 33 Posts