Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 AWD T
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to make a copy of the emergency key that Mazda lazily put into the key fob? Afraid I'll lose it and it'll also be good for winter if I can start the car and manually unlock/lock the cx-30 until a solution comes up for a remote starter where I don't need to sacrifice my spare remote.

Was thinking of going to Canadian Tire or Lowe's, etc, to get it copied and was hoping there isn't a caveat. Key doesn't look like it has a chip.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,032 Posts
I keep mine in my wallet. No chip.

Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Font Gas Gadget

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
94 Posts
You probably need to find a locksmith that does automotive keys because a hardware store won't have the correct blanks, provided they're available at all.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GT - Skyactive G - 2.5 L AWD
344 Posts
Has anyone tried to make a copy of the emergency key that Mazda lazily put into the key fob? Afraid I'll lose it and it'll also be good for winter if I can start the car and manually unlock/lock the cx-30 until a solution comes up for a remote starter where I don't need to sacrifice my spare remote.

Was thinking of going to Canadian Tire or Lowe's, etc, to get it copied and was hoping there isn't a caveat. Key doesn't look like it has a chip.
Just noticing your comment about the remote start. I purchased my vehicle with the factory one installed with a separate remote. Works great....

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Premium. Soul Red
50 Posts
Riddle me this: Your FOB battery dies, so you get the spare key out, so you can get in the car. What now? There is no keyed ignition switch and your FOB is dead. At least you are out of the rain, but still stranded. Isn't that correct?

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
94 Posts
Riddle me this: Your FOB battery dies, so you get the spare key out, so you can get in the car. What now? There is no keyed ignition switch and your FOB is dead. At least you are out of the rain, but still stranded. Isn't that correct?
There is a passive RFID chip in the remote (does not need power), you line the remote up with the button and push the remote into the button This is in the manual.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 AWD T
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just noticing your comment about the remote start. I purchased my vehicle with the factory one installed with a separate remote. Works great....
Installation required you to give up a remote right? Trying to avoid that as emergencies are emergencies and you never know.

You probably need to find a locksmith that does automotive keys because a hardware store won't have the correct blanks, provided they're available at all.
I was thinking this too. I’ll check out local hardware stores and see. Hoping it’s not locked to being laser cut since that’ll be the end of this pursuit!

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GT - Skyactive G - 2.5 L AWD
344 Posts
Installation required you to give up a remote right? Trying to avoid that as emergencies are emergencies and you never know.

I was thinking this too. I’ll check out local hardware stores and see. Hoping it’s not locked to being laser cut since that’ll be the end of this pursuit!
No I have an additional remote just for the remote start

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 AWD T
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I have an additional remote just for the remote start
I read somewhere that you have to use an existing key fob to help transmit signals to the car. Fob is actually installed into the car.
Do you have 2 fobs and 1 remote starter fob then?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts