Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yesterday I had my vehicle in the shop and applied a second coat of ceramic coating and even had it applies to the piano black trim as I had a new one installed that the dealer had scratched and noticed it on delivery.. gloomy day so hard to see the gloss of it but wow it's amazing now with two good coats. Now for it to fully cure for 10 days and yesterday it was nice and warm to had it sitting outside to help it cure.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Select Machine Gray Metallic Mobil 1 0w20
155 Posts
I wish I had chose Silver instead of the Machine Metallic Gray.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GS 2020
94 Posts
So yesterday I had my vehicle in the shop and applied a second coat of ceramic coating and even had it applies to the piano black trim as I had a new one installed that the dealer had scratched and noticed it on delivery.. gloomy day so hard to see the gloss of it but wow it's amazing now with two good coats. Now for it to fully cure for 10 days and yesterday it was nice and warm to had it sitting outside to help it cure. View attachment 846 View attachment 847
It's probably the best protection for winter...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the best investments. I bought a 3 year package where they recoat the car every 6 month.
mine came with a warrenty for 5 years that it will protect the paint from fadeing.. chemical damage from bird droppings and enviromental damage and clear coat failure and things like that and i totally agree its the best investment ever if you like to keep your new ride looking brand new but what people need to know tho is that you still have to take care of it and two bucket wash once a week or bare min once every 2 weeks but if you have allot of road salt in the winter every week. No wax or paint sealant compares to a true ceramic coating and the product i have on mine has a silicon carbide component and makes the clear coat allot harder up to 50% harder.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 SP (Sport Plus)
68 Posts
mine came with a warrenty for 5 years that it will protect the paint from fadeing.. chemical damage from bird droppings and enviromental damage and clear coat failure and things like that and i totally agree its the best investment ever if you like to keep your new ride looking brand new but what people need to know tho is that you still have to take care of it and two bucket wash once a week or bare min once every 2 weeks but if you have allot of road salt in the winter every week. No wax or paint sealant compares to a true ceramic coating and the product i have on mine has a silicon carbide component and makes the clear coat allot harder up to 50% harder.
No road salt here in Thailand. lol We do have a lot of sunshine so paint does take a beating. I am lucky as I am retired and don't drive that much anymore. My 2014 M3 that I traded in only had 57,000km on it (about 35,000 miles) in 6 years.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No road salt here in Thailand. lol We do have a lot of sunshine so paint does take a beating. I am lucky as I am retired and don't drive that much anymore. My 2014 M3 that I traded in only had 57,000km on it (about 35,000 miles) in 6 years.
Oh wow .. my last vehicle a Nissan Qashqai had 41,000 km in two years .. which btw it was a terrible vehicle.. CVT transmission was failing no surprise there and it was in the shop for warranty work more times then I can count on both hands 😂

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 SkyactivX GT Plus FWD AT - Polymetal Grey
40 Posts
I had a ceramic coating applied on my Polymetal Grey CX-30 nine days ago. The car has been sitting in the garage since I brought it back from the shop, since they said the ceramic coating needs to cure and I am not allowed to wash the car at least until tomorrow. I already have a few spots on it from the way to the shop to my sister's garage.
My wife said that there's nothing different about the paint since the ceramic coating was applied, and although I received a warranty card she said that I have been duped and paid $1000 for a wash and a polish.
Is there a way to check that there is indeed a ceramic coating applied on the car?

·
Registered
CX30 GT SPORT. A Road cyclists who drives a CX30 on the odd occasion...
366 Posts
The Dealer applied. Ceramic coating to our car...they did apply it as I watched them do it.. but not that impressed tbh... So I've applied Zaino and it's looking better.. more a wet / gloss look ....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a ceramic coating applied on my Polymetal Grey CX-30 nine days ago. The car has been sitting in the garage since I brought it back from the shop, since they said the ceramic coating needs to cure and I am not allowed to wash the car at least until tomorrow. I already have a few spots on it from the way to the shop to my sister's garage.
My wife said that there's nothing different about the paint since the ceramic coating was applied, and although I received a warranty card she said that I have been duped and paid $1000 for a wash and a polish.
Is there a way to check that there is indeed a ceramic coating applied on the car?
hydrophobic test is really the best way.. water should just fall right off and be pretty much dry after blasting it with a hose with some water drops left.. here is how mine is and this is exactly how it should be.. New video by Linux Kernel 4.19 as you can see in my vid the water just falls right off and is pretty much dry.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Dealer applied. Ceramic coating to our car...they did apply it as I watched them do it.. but not that impressed tbh... So I've applied Zaino and it's looking better.. more a wet / gloss look ....
I really like the product that is on mine.. it has a silicon carbide component.. not silicone but SILICON big chemistry difference. New video by Linux Kernel 4.19 here is how hydrophoic mine is and its really cool .. bugs literally just rinse off and don't stick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Prepandemic, I drove 25,000 miles a year. During pandemic I am on track for 2,000 a year. I suspect the sun is doing a job on my Mazda sitting outside all day instead of the company garage. I looked at my laminated work ID badge which was inside the glove box and it was yellow from the heat.

So now I have bad exposure to the sun in the summer and road salts in the winter.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Prepandemic, I drove 25,000 miles a year. During pandemic I am on track for 2,000 a year. I suspect the sun is doing a job on my Mazda sitting outside all day instead of the company garage. I looked at my laminated work ID badge which was inside the glove box and it was yellow from the heat.

So now I have bad exposure to the sun in the summer and road salts in the winter.
Ceramic coating is UV protection on the paint work as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One gotcha about a lot of ceramic coatings (applies to most but not all) is that they often need some variety of top ups.

Along with a nice wash with either a high quality no rinse or 2 bucket wash (use a pH neutral soap), you usually will want to bring it back to your installer for some level of maintenance top up. Some may benefit from specific drying aids or just an annual or biannual spray coating. Ceramic coatings are great for a car that might see a lot of time outside in harsher conditions but they do have their own caveats and care considerations.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One gotcha about a lot of ceramic coatings (applies to most but not all) is that they often need some variety of top ups.

Along with a nice wash with either a high quality no rinse or 2 bucket wash (use a pH neutral soap), you usually will want to bring it back to your installer for some level of maintenance top up. Some may benefit from specific drying aids or just an annual or biannual spray coating. Ceramic coatings are great for a car that might see a lot of time outside in harsher conditions but they do have their own caveats and care considerations.
A post from me earlier I talked about Care for a ceramic coating.. as I know allot about them as it's nothing new to me lol. I am a professionally trained auto detailer with 15 years automotive experience 🙂 I took a course on paint correction etc 😄 I wanted a second coat applied of the same manufacture of ceramic coating already on the vehicle before the temp gets cold so it cures properly and before snow and the horrible amount of raid salt that the city uses here.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 SkyactivX GT Plus FWD AT - Polymetal Grey
40 Posts
So I've been told that I can (and should) wash the car at least weekly using Optimum No Rinse with the 2 buckets method. It's also advisable to come back about every 2 months for a maintenance wash during which "we spray a sacrifice layer of coating".
Automatic car washes are a big no but self-service car washes are acceptable, but always wipe dry the water. I've had a few cars and never thought that washing is really this complicated. Truth be told, the last car needed polishing because paint had evident swirl marks and became dull.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So I've been told that I can (and should) wash the car at least weekly using Optimum No Rinse with the 2 buckets method. It's also advisable to come back about every 2 months for a maintenance wash during which "we spray a sacrifice layer of coating".
Automatic car washes are a big no but self-service car washes are acceptable, but always wipe dry the water. I've had a few cars and never thought that washing is really this complicated. Truth be told, the last car needed polishing because paint had evident swirl marks and became dull.
Yes because automotive paint now is water based and not solvant based they are pretty fragile and people don't know that but a good fact for ya ... 75% of the population doesn't wash their vehicle regularly or even at all and it baffles me .. you spend how much money 💰 on a vehicle .. if you do oil changes and things like that why wouldn't you do the same which is part of maintenance and wash the damb thing .. all my vehicles iv had now keep on mind I have professional automotive detailing experience and so all my vehicles I have never had an issue with swerl Marks as I'm OCD with the paint work as I know how fragile it really is and so always washed it how I was taught in my certificate auto detailer course with two bucket wash and a very high quality car shampoo that has allot of lubricity as the shampoo is so very important as it's not only your decontaminate but it's a lubricant to not in stall swirls and maring into the paint that requires hours of work to correct depending on how bad it is . The way my CX 30 looks now and believe it or not is going on 8 months old .. it's will still look this good in 3 years after the lease is up and what I'm trying to say is I wish more people wher like me and took this much care of their vehicle and just do the required maintenance and correct washing but so many people just thick ah automatic car wash that's good enough... Hello scratch and fade city .. do not use those stupid things .. yah summer I wash mine at home and in the winter I fill both my buckets up .. drive to the self wash and all I use there is their pressure washer nothing else and it's really not that hard but so many people pick up that horrible brush and you might as well get out a strip of sand paper and throw Dish soap on it and totally mess up the paint work lol 😂 also there was nothing wrong with my ceramic coating as it was hydrophobic like crazy but I know that a second coat will just add that extra layer of protection as it makes the clear coat allot harder up to 50% actually and so I wanted to get the maximum protection for the long run with my routine once a week washing.

·
Registered
CX30 GT SPORT. A Road cyclists who drives a CX30 on the odd occasion...
366 Posts
Yes because automotive paint now is water based and not solvant based they are pretty fragile and people don't know that but a good fact for ya ... 75% of the population doesn't wash their vehicle regularly or even at all and it baffles me .. you spend how much money 💰 on a vehicle .. if you do oil changes and things like that why wouldn't you do the same which is part of maintenance and wash the damb thing .. all my vehicles iv had now keep on mind I have professional automotive detailing experience and so all my vehicles I have never had an issue with swerl Marks as I'm OCD with the paint work as I know how fragile it really is and so always washed it how I was taught in my certificate auto detailer course with two bucket wash and a very high quality car shampoo that has allot of lubricity as the shampoo is so very important as it's not only your decontaminate but it's a lubricant to not in stall swirls and maring into the paint that requires hours of work to correct depending on how bad it is . The way my CX 30 looks now and believe it or not is going on 8 months old .. it's will still look this good in 3 years after the lease is up and what I'm trying to say is I wish more people wher like me and took this much care of their vehicle and just do the required maintenance and correct washing but so many people just thick ah automatic car wash that's good enough... Hello scratch and fade city .. do not use those stupid things .. yah summer I wash mine at home and in the winter I fill both my buckets up .. drive to the self wash and all I use there is their pressure washer nothing else and it's really not that hard but so many people pick up that horrible brush and you might as well get out a strip of sand paper and throw Dish soap on it and totally mess up the paint work lol 😂 also there was nothing wrong with my ceramic coating as it was hydrophobic like crazy but I know that a second coat will just add that extra layer of protection as it makes the clear coat allot harder up to 50% actually and so I wanted to get the maximum protection for the long run with my routine once a week washing.
on previous cars - and on this car even though i had dealer ceramic done, ive removed it and added zaino...
im just OCD with car washing and detailing, i'm no pro but a weekend warrior :p

my regular /weekly wash method is-
snow foam
rinse
2 bucket wash
rinse
blow dry
top up with a spritz
every 4 weeks add 1oz of zaino z6/z8
pre winter i add a zaino z2/z5 polish in the mix just to add a bit more protection..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts