Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 Deep Crystal Blue Mica - Premium
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Today I finally got around to installing my new steering wheel that I had made from GuardianDesigns. They made a custom wheel for my 30AE Miata and I loved it so I asked them if they could build one for the CX-30. They have many options to choose from but I decided to go with their Corsa-D wheel with perforated leather sides and ghost gray stitching to match the factory stitching. One of the things that bothered me with both the Miata and the CX-30 is how thin and cheap the standard wheel feels, this has a much beefer grip and good ergonomics, the bulges at 10 and 2 have a nice feel. GuardianDesigns isn't the cheapest wheel you will find but I doubt you will find better quality, they get rave reviews on the Miata forum.

If anyone is interested here is a link to their website. Mazda 3 BP / CX-30 Steering Wheels | 2019 -

Here is a picture of my 30AE wheel:

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GS 2020
161 Posts
View attachment 1631

Today I finally got around to installing my new steering wheel that I had made from GuardianDesigns. They made a custom wheel for my 30AE Miata and I loved it so I asked them if they could build one for the CX-30. They have many options to choose from but I decided to go with their Corsa-D wheel with perforated leather sides and ghost gray stitching to match the factory stitching. One of the things that bothered me with both the Miata and the CX-30 is how thin and cheap the standard wheel feels, this has a much beefer grip and good ergonomics, the bulges at 10 and 2 have a nice feel. GuardianDesigns isn't the cheapest wheel you will find but I doubt you will find better quality, they get rave reviews on the Miata forum.

If anyone is interested here is a link to their website. Mazda 3 BP / CX-30 Steering Wheels | 2019 -

Here is a picture of my 30AE wheel:
View attachment 1641
Very nice looking wheel. Did you change it yourself ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice looking wheel. Did you change it yourself ?
I did, I've done several wheels so I'm pretty familiar with how to do it. I have to say Mazda couldn't have made it any easier removing the airbag and wheel. You just need a screwdriver and 21mm socket.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
705 Posts
is it heated?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Very nice, but the standard wheel is not exactly an uncomfortable eyesore.
It's always fun to individualize and you have found a way that is attractive and to you personally, a way to gain satisfaction every time you look at and grip the wheel.
Congratulations.
If it were half the price, I'd be tempted to put one on my 3. I can see the quality is likely worth their asking price, just not for me.
On the Miata, which is more strictly a toy with more intimate driver connection and with restricted cabin space, the flat bottom and fat grips make a little more sense.
If I owned one of those, I'd be very tempted.
Does the smaller diameter and thicker rim restrict the instrument view with hands on the bulges or force an angle adjustment to keep them in view that you might otherwise not prefer?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The diameter is smaller than stock, according to GD " the Corsa-D is a 355mm wheel diameter (12mm smaller vs. factory wheel)", and I can't say I notice much difference with instrument visibility from stock. I look at the steering wheel as one of the things you interface the car with, like a mouse or keyboard on a computer. If you don't have the right feel it detracts from the driving experience. I do understand about the price and that's something between you and your wallet as to the value, I can only say from my experience with both CX-30 and Miata it was worth it. I will say that if there is something you don't see on GD's webpage just ask, they are very accommodating. Miata owners were asking for an even smaller diameter wheel and GD came up with the Corsa-330 which is 330mm (37mm smaller vs. factory wheel). Though it's not listed for the CX-30 I'm sure you can get the Corsa (standard round non-flat bottom) wheel. I think the listing and picture they have for the CX-30 is the wheel they made for me.

Reactions: Maznut

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I certainly don't want to speak for GW but since they do other wheels with a heated option they can probably do one for the CX-30. Heated steering wheel wasn't an option here in the US.

·
Registered
CX-30 Premium Turbo, C7
23 Posts
^^^Well, that's a nice looking wheel you got there. I may have to add this to my list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts