Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 cx30 premium awd
124 Posts
is that an se for the cdn mkt only or did you do it yourself? est-ce une solution pour le marché canadien seulement ou l'avez-vous fait vous-même?

·
Registered
Enter your CX30 year, model and engine.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is that an se for the cdn mkt only or did you do it yourself? est-ce une solution pour le marché canadien seulement ou l'avez-vous fait vous-même?
It’s a Mazda CX-30 GS AWD. & I did not do this myself. This was the only model With no cladding. It was displayed in the showroom and I just had to buy it lol

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
279 Posts
That's interesting. I can't decide if I like it more or less. Your photo has some distortion, perhaps wide angle lens or something? If you look at the house behind the hood you can really see it. Do you have another shot of it with more standard perspective?

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a person who is not a fan of the cladding, I wonder if this is an offering from the factory OR done by the dealer. I'd like to be able to get a CX-30 without/with less cladding.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 2.5 S Premium AWD
17 Posts
I wouldn't say this is "0 cladding" as it still has the cladding, but it's painted to match. I'm not a fan of the huge cladding, but I feel it looks better than painted cladding. Now if truly had no cladding (or smaller cladding), I would be a fan. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
Enter your CX30 year, model and engine.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't say this is "0 cladding" as it still has the cladding, but it's painted to match. I'm not a fan of the huge cladding, but I feel it looks better than painted cladding. Now if truly had no cladding (or smaller cladding), I would be a fan. Just my opinion.
It’s not painted. The cladding is usually plastic if I’m not mistaken. this is part of the same body.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
72 Posts
I'm not keen on the painted cladding, but it's your car. How much did the dealer/body shop charge you to paint the cladding?

·
Registered
2021 CX-30
32 Posts
I'd have to see it in person. The camera doesn't provide detail. I'm curious about the paint adhering to the plastic long term. That could get real ugly if issues developed. The cladding also looks quite dirty in the photo.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
947 Posts
it doesn't do much for me I like the cladding and don't mind it being as wide as it is, just offers more body protection and less concern in cleaning those areas.
However, the OP needs to retake a side profile without the distorted wide angle use, makes it looks so out of proportion.

I would say the dealer decided to see what a CX-30 with the cladding painted to match the body would look like as this is certainly not a factory option.

Reactions: KAB

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
158 Posts
It’s not painted. The cladding is usually plastic if I’m not mistaken. this is part of the same body.
One way to find out. Put a magnet on it. Wrap in soft cloth to protect your paint. Looks like a good color match. Would love to see pics after a good wash! Lol.
Looking at your screen name… did the paperwork or anything else refer to it as a Special Edition. If not factory, ‘Custom’ would be a more appropriate term.
Someone commented about painting plastic. Painting plastic is a non-issue. If you think this car is all metal besides the cladding, I refer you again to the magnet. I’m fairly certain the entire facia and most of the back end plus the gas door are all plastic. Which is the case on most cars now.
I like the black cladding. It’s a part of ‘the look’ that drew me to the car in the first place. Could it be smaller or somehow different? Perhaps the part above the tires, but I don’t see myself ever wishing to paint it.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30
32 Posts
Painting plastic is a non-issue.
Painting plastic can be a non issue but check with any professional in the paint business and there is no such thing as "non issue." The paint itself, the application process, the individual applying the paint are the environment the paint was applied in are some of the factors. And we know nothing about any of this. My experience with automotive paint is dated but the basics remain the same. Anything can be screwed up when people are involved.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Painting plastic can be a non issue but check with any professional in the paint business and there is no such thing as "non issue." The paint itself, the application process, the individual applying the paint are the environment the paint was applied in are some of the factors. And we know nothing about any of this. My experience with automotive paint is dated but the basics remain the same. Anything can be screwed up when people are involved.
OK, maybe 'non' issue was oversimplifying. And, I have painted a car -and had lots of issues. LOL. Anyone that is painting cars professionally today should be competent in plastic painting, and able to handle color coating the cladding. Now matching the Soul Red, that may prove difficult for some.. But it's knowing the issues and how to deal with them that makes them the pro.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30
32 Posts
OK, maybe 'non' issue was oversimplifying. And, I have painted a car -and had lots of issues. LOL. Anyone that is painting cars professionally today should be competent in plastic painting, and able to handle color coating the cladding. Now matching the Soul Red, that may prove difficult for some.. But it's knowing the issues and how to deal with them that makes them the pro.
You have way too much faith in folks considered pros. Our courts are clogged with pros being sued because they screwed up. Pros are people and people don't always do what's in the best interest of customer/clients. Had a bad day with the wife/kids, etc? That's being taken to work with them. Someone's focus is elsewhere.
Automotive paint matching was a job I had as a young man. You had to eyeball it. Software wasn't even a term back then. Got out of that trade in a hurry. ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
You have way too much faith in folks considered pros.
I would agree all but this part. Actually I am very skeptical - and only consider them a pro by proven ability, not because someone hired them. I think what most shops have today is a bunch of painters (of varying skill level) doing mostly insurance jobs and maybe one pro to make sure the high dollar jobs are right and not too much crap gets out the door. Coatings have come a long way and colors are mostly figured out by computers. But I think the guy ‘with a good eye’ will always be top dog in this field.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts