Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Sport Tech (UK, RHD), Skyactiv-X
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any way I can remove the cup holders? My slim card wallet (with 4 bank cards including my ID card) has slipped between the card holders and the door!

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,080 Posts
have you got a photo as your description doesn't make much sense to me 😒

this is my cup holders, don't see any card holder and it's not even close to the door

·
Registered
GT Sport, Deep Crystal Blue
113 Posts
have you got a photo as your description doesn't make much sense to me 😒

this is my cup holders, don't see any card holder and it's not even close to the door

View attachment 1274
On some models there is a cover over the drinks holders. This is spring loaded on a hinge and when opened sits vertical in front of the storage compartment.

·
Registered
GT Sport Tech X, Auto,2wd
17 Posts
From another user, the attached link refers to fitting the wireless charger. It shows removal of the area / cupholder door and if needs must, could be worth a try: https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/BCKA-V7-440.pdf

I'd try and remove the bolts first within the cubby box and see if their removal gives enough lift to get at the dropped items (page 16 of the pdf) without having to remove anything else.

Good luck

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Sport Tech (UK, RHD), Skyactiv-X
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS PAULF! managed to dismantle everything and get the cup holders out. Then I dismantled the cup holder and its door to get my wallet out.

Even though I admit that a wallet shouldn't be there I the first place, the design is horrendous as apparently it's happening in the Mazda 3 as well

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Premium, naturally aspirated, AWD. Polymetal gray (love it!)
19 Posts
Even though I admit that a wallet shouldn't be there I the first place, the design is horrendous as apparently it's happening in the Mazda 3 as well
Yeah, I'm a little steamed by this too. Tonight I made the mistake of setting half a pair of AirPods in one of the cupholders, and my fat finger nudged one of the spring-loaded wedges (designed to center the cup in the holder) just far enough out of its "home" position for the earbud to fall in. How far down, I haven't determined yet. Going to try PaulF's method of retrieval before digging into the rest of that PDF, and (hopefully) I'd be able to start the dismantling at page 13 of that PDF at the absolute worst...hoping the shift knob etc. can stay in place.

Dumb, dumb design. Same caveat as Macachia (an earbud doesn't belong in the cupholder) but it's not exactly unexpected that a driver would do exactly what I did under certain circumstances.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, I'm a little steamed by this too. Tonight I made the mistake of setting half a pair of AirPods in one of the cupholders, and my fat finger nudged one of the spring-loaded wedges (designed to center the cup in the holder) just far enough out of its "home" position for the earbud to fall in. How far down, I haven't determined yet. Going to try PaulF's method of retrieval before digging into the rest of that PDF, and (hopefully) I'd be able to start the dismantling at page 13 of that PDF at the absolute worst...hoping the shift knob etc. can stay in place.

Dumb, dumb design. Same caveat as Macachia (an earbud doesn't belong in the cupholder) but it's not exactly unexpected that a driver would do exactly what I did under certain circumstances.

Did you ever figure out how to get your AirPod out? The same thing just happened to me. I’m not sure how to proceed.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Premium, naturally aspirated, AWD. Polymetal gray (love it!)
19 Posts
I did! Sorry, should have posted it over here.

This video was made for a slightly different purpose, and you don't actually have to do ALL the removal steps shown here, but it's enough to get you started.

By the time we got to 02:45 in the video, he had shown me everything I needed - and I did NOT have to remove the shift knob and pull the shift boot out of the way... just needed to disengage the clips that hold the center console down, nudge it far enough over to get to (and remove) the screws that hold the cupholders in, and then lift THOSE far enough out of the way to slide a hand down to the carpet and retrieve the AirPod. Also did not have to disconnect any electrical harness/plugs, if I remember correctly.

Tips (all of which are shown in the video but which bear repeating here)
  1. Keep an eye on which screws you remove from which holes, as the (four?) alongside the center console are not exactly the same as the two that hold the cupholders in. The latter have painted heads, which I think designates a slightly different thread pattern.
  2. Invest in a $10 set of plastic/nylon pry tools for automotive interiors/body panels (any auto parts store has them). Using a screwdriver or any other metal tool will scratch your interior really easily.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts