Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new Mazda owner here and loving the car overall, quirks and all.

Has anyone installed a hitch on their Turbo and not had to do any modifications to the exhaust bracket or bumper trim?

I've read everything I could find about the available hitches:
  • Sounds like the Draw-Tite hitch receiver installs with a razor thin margin to the driver side exhaust bracket, which results in banging ... unless you modify the bracket by cutting out a piece to allow for movement.
  • The Curt Mfg hitch may (or may not) require removing a bumper trim piece.
  • Torklift hitch: unknown (has anyone installed it on a Turbo?)
  • Mazda hitch isn't available for us Americans, for unclear legal reasons. Even if all we ever plan to do is mount a 2-rack bike rack.

I'm not a huge fan of modifying metal if it can be avoided, especially being in the snow and salt belt and having to worry about corrosion over time.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 AWD T
36 Posts
I have the EcoHitch on my turbo. If you don’t mind the sound of the exhaust hitting your hitch then you don’t need to modify it.
If you opt to dremel some away to avoid the noise (you can get rid of left and right wobble but not the up and down) just hit it with rust protect paint.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Sounds like you either live with some noise or cut out a little of that exhaust bracket?
How do you like the EcoHitch, any issues or concerns with it?

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 AWD T
36 Posts
It’s great. I’ve used it to help a friend bring a motorcycle home and i use it to lug a jet ski once a week or so. Holds up great and US spec says it can tow up to 2,000lbs but I’d keep it at 1,500.

Since it’s a 2” I can use pretty much any attachment without much issue.

·
Registered
2021 Turbo Premium
81 Posts
It’s great. I’ve used it to help a friend bring a motorcycle home and i use it to lug a jet ski once a week or so. Holds up great and US spec says it can tow up to 2,000lbs but I’d keep it at 1,500.

Since it’s a 2” I can use pretty much any attachment without much issue.
Any pics of the mounting and where it hits the exhaust?

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS 2.5L, Luxury Package, Soul Red Crystal
156 Posts
Hmmm... I am confused.... the manual explicitly says no towing capacity. Did I miss something?

·
Registered
2021 Turbo Premium
81 Posts
Hmmm... I am confused.... the manual explicitly says no towing capacity. Did I miss something?
This is a digital copy of the 2020 manual, which talks about towing a caravan in Europe:

It is interesting though, if you google for "cx-30 towing capacity", you get about a dozen different Mazda dealer pages which contain conflicting information.

This one says no towing: Can a MAZDA CX-30 Tow? | 2021 Towing Capacity | Cox Mazda
This one says 1500lbs for the NA engine: What Is The Max Tow Weight of the Mazda CX-30? | Team Gillman Mazda
This review site says 1500 NA / 2000 turbo: https://www.carindigo.com/mazda/cx-30-2020/towing-capacity

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS 2.5L, Luxury Package, Soul Red Crystal
156 Posts
This is a digital copy of the 2020 manual, which talks about towing a caravan in Europe:

It is interesting though, if you google for "cx-30 towing capacity", you get about a dozen different Mazda dealer pages which contain conflicting information.

This one says no towing: Can a MAZDA CX-30 Tow? | 2021 Towing Capacity | Cox Mazda
This one says 1500lbs for the NA engine: What Is The Max Tow Weight of the Mazda CX-30? | Team Gillman Mazda
This review site says 1500 NA / 2000 turbo: https://www.carindigo.com/mazda/cx-30-2020/towing-capacity

Interesting... in the Canadian manual it says...

Trailer Towing
Your Mazda is not designed for towing. Never tow a trailer with your Mazda.

In other parts of the world, Mazda says you can tow. Maybe there are also towing regulations by country?

·
Registered
5 Posts
So just installed my hitch on my new Turbo and it does hit the muffler bracket on the drivers side. I’ve tried a zip tie above on the brackets to see if I can restrict the travel enough for it not to make contact anymore. Other than that, I will be grinding out a piece of the bracket. I found on the trailer question, the AWD Turbo is rated for 2,000 lbs, non Turbo is vague, it either says no towing or 1,500 lbs.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 AWD T
36 Posts
Any pics of the mounting and where it hits the exhaust?
Unfortunately don't have any pics, but like @Rsinclair21 says, it's the muffler bracket. It's not structural so you can grind it down to let there be space when it goes back and forth. The hitch will also hit the top part of the big balloon portion of the muffler on the left side. You can hammer it down.

It's a little butch but once you do it there won't be sound unless you hit a big bump. If you're worried about warranty then you'll have to deal with the noise.

Interesting... in the Canadian manual it says...

Trailer Towing
Your Mazda is not designed for towing. Never tow a trailer with your Mazda.

In other parts of the world, Mazda says you can tow. Maybe there are also towing regulations by country?
There's a few topics on this. Mazda Canada says no towing probably because a) Easier for Mazda lawyers to say no to claims or deny warranty, etc, and b) They want you to get the CX-5 which does have official towing capacities.

Being the same vehicle for the most part, minus the chassis, the CX-30 should be on par with the CX-5. However, whatever the CX-5 is, I'd reduce the number by 500 lbs just for safety's sake. For example, the CX-5 AWD turbo can do just under 2000 lbs/907 kg, but I wouldn't go more than 1,500 lbs on the CX-30 T.

While Canada doesn't get an official rating, you can probably spec out something similar from the US for your ratings. 1,500 lbs for non-turbo and non-awd, and 2,000 lbs for turbo awd.

No idea if AWD would increase the non-turbo rating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortunately don't have any pics, but like @Rsinclair21 says, it's the muffler bracket. It's not structural so you can grind it down to let there be space when it goes back and forth. The hitch will also hit the top part of the big balloon portion of the muffler on the left side. You can hammer it down.

It's a little butch but once you do it there won't be sound unless you hit a big bump. If you're worried about warranty then you'll have to deal with the noise.

There's a few topics on this. Mazda Canada says no towing probably because a) Easier for Mazda lawyers to say no to claims or deny warranty, etc, and b) They want you to get the CX-5 which does have official towing capacities.

Being the same vehicle for the most part, minus the chassis, the CX-30 should be on par with the CX-5. However, whatever the CX-5 is, I'd reduce the number by 500 lbs just for safety's sake. For example, the CX-5 AWD turbo can do just under 2000 lbs/907 kg, but I wouldn't go more than 1,500 lbs on the CX-30 T.

While Canada doesn't get an official rating, you can probably spec out something similar from the US for your ratings. 1,500 lbs for non-turbo and non-awd, and 2,000 lbs for turbo awd.

No idea if AWD would increase the non-turbo rating.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Here is the picture of my recent install. If you look closely you can see angle piece of muffler bracket, half way down the angle the slight rub mark after driving for 40 miles and the matching mark of missing black paint from the hitch black steel. I’ve tried a zip tie for now to limit the travel of the muffler to prevent from hitting. I’m thinking the heat will make sort work of it and will have to get my Dremel tool out to make a notch. There are no other areas that make any contact I’ve found yet.

So even though I don’t plan on towing much, I did find in the USA literature where this Turbo AWD is definitely rated at 2,000lbs, so I would assume Canadian models would be identical and not an issue. Are the Canadian CX-30’s made in Mexico as well?
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 Turbo PP
8 Posts
What model hitch did everyone purchase? I just ordered the EcoHitch from etrailer.com. I have a turbo CX-30.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, that’s too bad. The zip tie did the trick for my run point on the Curtis hitch, I was driving today for 2 hours, went over some large speed humps and nothing. Like a charm!

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 AWD T
36 Posts
Thanks, I'll post a review after I get mine installed.
I've got the Ecohitch. I paired it with Curt C86CR - Plug and play.

It's great and I've had no issues. I recommend taking the bumper off and putting steel plates to reinforce the hitch. It will work without for just pulling. Make sure you stick with the 350 lbs limit.

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 Turbo PP
8 Posts
I've got the Ecohitch. I paired it with Curt C86CR - Plug and play.

It's great and I've had no issues. I recommend taking the bumper off and putting steel plates to reinforce the hitch. It will work without for just pulling. Make sure you stick with the 350 lbs limit.
Thanks don't think ill need to reinforce anything, im just using it for a bike rack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used the uhaul draw tite hitch to pull 1500 pounds in my turbo AWD. Handled like a champ. They did the wiring and install for $530 CAD. No banging sound over bumps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts