Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 cx 30 skyactive x soul red
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Delighted with my new cx 30 GTSport but a bit concerned about the warning which comes up on screen from time to time telling me that the hybrid battery is low and I need to start the car to recharge it. This is accompanied by an annoying warning note which seems to go on for a long time. Today we had our lunch in the car. The warning came on and I could not start the engine and sit there with the engine idling so I had to put up with the warning noise. Getting out and locking the car did not stop the noise!! Embarrassing!!
I can find plenty of comments on this site re battery and charging but nothing about the hybrid battery.
Any help would be much appreciated.
John.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 e-SKYACTIVE X MHEV GT Sport Tech Soul Red Crystal 2WD Manual
50 Posts
Delighted with my new cx 30 GTSport but a bit concerned about the warning which comes up on screen from time to time telling me that the hybrid battery is low and I need to start the car to recharge it. This is accompanied by an annoying warning note which seems to go on for a long time. Today we had our lunch in the car. The warning came on and I could not start the engine and sit there with the engine idling so I had to put up with the warning noise. Getting out and locking the car did not stop the noise!! Embarrassing!!
I can find plenty of comments on this site re battery and charging but nothing about the hybrid battery.
John.
I just want to check if you are sure that the warning mentions hybrid battery. The symptoms you described are normally associated with this warning "LOW BATTERY RISK. START VEHICLE TO CHARGE 12V BATTERY", which is accompanied by 30 seconds of continuous chimes and these can only be stopped by starting the engine. Your vehicle has 2 batteries, one of these is 24V hybrid and can only be charged by engine running or energy recovery from braking and deceleration. It is used to start the engine and runs all electrical components when the engine is running. There is an additional conventional 12V battery, which you can see under the bonnet. This is only used to run accessories and required electronics when the engine is not running. It also powers components needed to activate the hybrid battery prior to engine start. Sorry, for primitive explanation, but I don't want to go too dip into technical details concerning electronics of modern MHEVs. If your get a warning mentioned above it is a huge nuisance that totally ruins ownership experience, but it is a design flaw rather than a fault with your car. Please, see here for my comments and actions regarding this warning Battery Discharge Issue - Log of Member's events | Page 2 | Mazda CX‌-30 Forum (cx30talk.com) #39. I don't want to copy my comments here to avoid multiplying threads. I have also attached the document summarising what causes this warning. If your warning specifically concerns hybrid battery (24V) you definitely need to take your vehicle to the dealer for tests. This particular warning is not documented by Mazda anywhere and the hybrid battery is better left to professionals.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 cx 30 skyactive x soul red
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi agentSmith
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply to my problem and for explaining things to me. You are quite right - the error message was concerning the 12v battery. I now feel relieved to know that this is not a probloem with the car. I shall continue to curse it whenever it occurs!! Thanks again.
John

·
Registered
2 Posts
John.
Having the same issue over the last few days. Car 5 weeks old. Got it booked in tomorrow for investigation.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 e-SKYACTIVE X MHEV GT Sport Tech Soul Red Crystal 2WD Manual
50 Posts
Having the same issue over the last few days. Car 5 weeks old. Got it booked in tomorrow for investigation.
Hi Steve,
"LOW BATTERY RISK. START VEHICLE TO CHARGE 12V BATTERY" warning is a software design feature. This is why Mazda issued a Service Advisory I quoted in my previous response. This SA clearly states that no visit to a dealer is required. I've been to the dealer numerous times and they can't do anything about it until Mazda releases a system software update. To get rid of this warning at the moment you simply need to start the car and idle it for at least 5 minutes. I know that it is the most stupid advice a car manufacturer could come up with, but here we go. In a modern world, where global warming became a religion nobody allowed to question or even discuss, this advice also appears to be criminal. This warning has nothing to do with the actual state of charge of your battery, as it is simply triggered by a primitive timer after the onboard electronics were in awake state for 30 cumulative minutes between successive engine runs. There are a lot of things that keep onboard electronics awake even when the ignition is in OFF position, such as key fob being in close proximity, opening doors and liftgate (for each of these the algorithm adds extra 5 minutes to the actual opening time), opening the bonnet, etc. Please, see here for my comments and actions regarding this warning Battery Discharge Issue - Log of Member's events | Page 2 | Mazda CX‌-30 Forum (cx30talk.com) #39. If you are really unhappy about it as a lot of other owners, just register your official complaint with Mazda UK by email to [email protected]. This will generate a case number, which Mazda UK will have to report to Mazda Europe and in turn to Mazda Japan. The more owners complain individually about this design flaw the quicker Mazda is going to address this issue. Don't expect your dealer to put pressure on Mazda UK. Mine categorically refused because UK dealers have their financial and contractual reasons not to do so. The SA I mentioned above also gave them a legal option to do nothing about this warning as it is not categorised as a fault by Mazda. According to Mazda UK when your car generates this warning it is behaving as designed. They recognise that it causes a lot of frustration to owners, but until a lot of us individually launch official complaints they are not going to be in any hurry to release a simple software update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Steve,
"LOW BATTERY RISK. START VEHICLE TO CHARGE 12V BATTERY" warning is a software design feature. This is why Mazda issued a Service Advisory I quoted in my previous response. This SA clearly states that no visit to a dealer is required. I've been to the dealer numerous times and they can't do anything about it until Mazda releases a system software update. To get rid of this warning at the moment you simply need to start the car and idle it for at least 5 minutes. I know that it is the most stupid advice a car manufacturer could come up with, but here we go. In a modern world, where global warming became a religion nobody allowed to question or even discuss, this advice also appears to be criminal. This warning has nothing to do with the actual state of charge of your battery, as it is simply triggered by a primitive timer after the onboard electronics were in awake state for 30 cumulative minutes between successive engine runs. There are a lot of things that keep onboard electronics awake even when the ignition is in OFF position, such as key fob being in close proximity, opening doors and liftgate (for each of these the algorithm adds extra 5 minutes to the actual opening time), opening the bonnet, etc. Please, see here for my comments and actions regarding this warning Battery Discharge Issue - Log of Member's events | Page 2 | Mazda CX‌-30 Forum (cx30talk.com) #39. If you are really unhappy about it as a lot of other owners, just register your official complaint with Mazda UK by email to [email protected]. This will generate a case number, which Mazda UK will have to report to Mazda Europe and in turn to Mazda Japan. The more owners complain individually about this design flaw the quicker Mazda is going to address this issue. Don't expect your dealer to put pressure on Mazda UK. Mine categorically refused because UK dealers have their financial and contractual reasons not to do so. The SA I mentioned above also gave them a legal option to do nothing about this warning as it is not categorised as a fault by Mazda. According to Mazda UK when your car generates this warning it is behaving as designed. They recognise that it causes a lot of frustration to owners, but until a lot of us individually launch official complaints they are not going to be in any hurry to release a simple software update.
Thank you for the information, I have read the previous posts with interest. I can see me getting really fed up with it and it appears that the action required to clear the warning is to pollute the atmosphere for an additional 5 mins! It just eliminates the advantages of istop on the car. I will see what I get fobbed off with from my UK local dealer tomorrow. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts