Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2022, G122 AT Plus, Platinum Quartz
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

The reason why I opened this topic is not for hearing only the general advices for the new CX-30 owners. I also want us to share the things happened to us so and now we say "I hope I knew that before".

Let me start. Especially when the dealer said you "your car is ready, enjoy it" it doesn't actually mean that it is completely ready:

- Double-check your tire pressure. I took mine with 44 Psi (3 bars), when the recommend level was 36 psi (2.5 bars) for three adults.

- İt is the first days.. perhaps you don't need to drive your car. But you are getting into it, checking and touching to every inch, listening to music, checking infotainment system, adjusting settings without worrying because you are thinking that "if the car gets low in the battery, for sure it will notify me. it is 2022"... So my advice is don't do it. As my car did not :) and it was too late, I couldn't start the engine. I needed to call roadside assistance to jump start the engine. And advised to take my car to the service to run diagnostics (just after 20 days).

- (in connection to what happened above) I received my car from the service. I could not get any info why I didn't receive any notification as I could immediately start the engine. But they said "they updated the system". I said when I bought my car, I was told that all the system updates were done. So it was not updated then? I was told probably it was not done since the car came from the factory (it was manufactured around 5 months before my purchase date).

So is there anything you can add here, something new owners or every owner should pay attention?

Thanks a lot ;)

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 AWD, Carbon Edition (CE)
234 Posts
Hello everyone,

The reason why I opened this topic is not for hearing only the general advices for the new CX-30 owners. I also want us to share the things happened to us so and now we say "I hope I knew that before".

Let me start. Especially when the dealer said you "your car is ready, enjoy it" it doesn't actually mean that it is completely ready:

- Double-check your tire pressure. I took mine with 44 Psi (3 bars), when the recommend level was 36 psi (2.5 bars) for three adults.

- İt is the first days.. perhaps you don't need to drive your car. But you are getting into it, checking and touching to every inch, listening to music, checking infotainment system, adjusting settings without worrying because you are thinking that "if the car gets low in the battery, for sure it will notify me. it is 2022"... So my advice is don't do it. As my car did not :) and it was too late, I couldn't start the engine. I needed to call roadside assistance to jump start the engine. And advised to take my car to the service to run diagnostics (just after 20 days).

- (in connection to what happened above) I received my car from the service. I could not get any info why I didn't receive any notification as I could immediately start the engine. But they said "they updated the system". I said when I bought my car, I was told that all the system updates were done. So it was not updated then? I was told probably it was not done since the car came from the factory (it was manufactured around 5 months before my purchase date).

So is there anything you can add here, something new owners or every owner should pay attention?

Thanks a lot ;)
Newer cars have notably more passive parasitic battery draw even while just sitting in the garage/driveway. That means people who don't commute M-F for a reasonable distance or need to drive much need to be more proactive with keeping the battery properly exercised. From what I have read, you should drive the vehicle at least once per week for 30 consecutive minutes at "highway speeds" to maintain battery charge/health. I don't normally hit the highways for anything, so I usually drive mine on Wednesday after finishing up work at home, for various errands around town, & also on the weekends for other errands, & I'm sure to drive the vehicle for at least a 30-45 minute total session while out traveling to the few places that I want to go (even if it means taking a longer, round-about suburban/city stop-go route to get where I want to go). So far, so good on my CX-30, though my previous 2020 Corolla had some sorts of electrical issues/flaws that resulted in 3 new batteries in less than 2 years (among other various problems/issues it had - so much for consistent/reliable Toyota quality).

When I first purchased my CX-30 back in early February, it had 44-46 PSI from the dealership, which I corrected on my own down to my preference of 37-38. I also check my oil levels/appearance myself after purchase & any regular service visit, just to be on the safe side. Also, make sure your tire valve stem covers are there & screwed on securely after anyone else services the tires/PSI (& make sure the PSI is where you want it).

My personal maintenance preferences:
  • Oil/Filter Change every 6 months or 5K miles, whichever comes first (I tend to drive less than 2000 miles per 6 months now, since I started working from home back in 2018).
  • Engine/Cabin Air Filters Change every 18 months or 15K miles, whichever comes first (lots of dust/dirt/sand out here in AZ).
  • Transmission Fluid Change every 3 years or 30K miles, whichever comes first.
  • New Battery Change every 30 months (2.5 years).

Reactions: Muteferric

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 Skyactiv-G 2.0 M-Hybrid Vision Plus AT
74 Posts
When you wash your CX-30, do not aim the water hose to front door handles. The touch locking may not work for a while (until they dries). Do not use leaf blower to dry them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you use leaf blower to dry the car ( excellent device, does not scratch the paint) pay attention to rear hatch. It has seams which gather water and it may cause rust in future

·
Registered
74 Posts
When lifting CX-30 with jack you may be confused with the sharp edge on a lifting point. Lift only on the sharp edge, not the bottom plate. Use eg. hockey puck between jack and the edge (seam). I have used a saw to make a suitable carving to the puck to imitate the shape of the edge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Where do I start.

I've owned my 2021 cx30 GT Turbo since October 2011. I should've waited for the '22s to come out. Here's what to watch our for...

First issue:
- Noticed my windshield wipers were freezing in heavy snow making it very difficult to see... and not deicing. Yes, my rear window defrost was on for a while. Took it to Mazda and after them not believing there's a wiper deicer (you sold me the car... shouldn't you know?) They determined it was faulty and replaced the windshield. This was in December or January

That one wasn't working either... so they ordered another and this time tested it BEFORE installing it on mine. It also was faulty. They told me once that happened ALL of the stock of windshields disappeared from inventory for all of Canada. So we wait... finally they received another windshield in June. IT ALSO DIDNT WORK and the inventory was wiped again. Fml.

- Within the first two months I noticed it intermittently stopped locking when I walked away... and wouldn't unlock without using the buttons on the remote. Mazda determined the sensors were a problem. They fixed it under warranty using a TSB for the Mazda3 (exact same sensors)

- Oil level warning! All of a sudden I got an oil level warning out of nowhere back in May i think. Checked it when I got home and it didn't even register on the dip stick. Took it to Mazda to find out there's a problem with ALL 2021 turbo engines (3, cx-50, etc). I was the second customer to have the issue... Mazda doesn't truly know what's wrong nor do they know how to fix it... the TSB for this also existed before I bought mine. I honestly should have been informed ahead of time.

And this brings me to the non mechanical stuff....

Sound System
- I went from a 2017 Mazda3 GT with an 8 speaker Bose system to the CX-30. All I have to say is: the system in the 3 was WAY "bassier" like, thumping. The CX-30 not as much, some xm channels are bassier than others fersure. But the same songs that would shake my car over bluetooth were not even close to bassy in the 30.

The Front Armrest Console
- Is just a deep pocket. Amazon has some great trays that fit in there no problem and make much better use of the space.

Automatic parking brake
- Always engages, annoying af.

Low Battery Warning
- Happens way too frequently... like if you're cleaning the car, etc.

Traffic Sign Recognition
- Just plain sucks. Sometimes doesn't pick up speed limits...

Blind Spot Warning
- Sometimes it gets activated when turning with absolutely nothing near you.

All things considered though... once you get used to how it handles... it is an absolutely fun vehicle to drive! A little "turbo-laggy" sometimes but when it kicks in... you feel it. Love driving with my window down when I can sometimes hear the turbo kick in. Could I be the next Paul Walker? Probs not. Lol!

I still love it. The colour is stunning, the ride on the stock tires is pretty quiet and overall great. I even went as far as ceramic coating and getting xpel film on the bumper, hood, side.mirror covers and the piano black pillars on the doors. Of course I also had to black out the badging too.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

TL;DR... skip the 2021 models if any are left.
Hand Hood Sleeve Automotive design Motor vehicle

Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
22 CX 30 Turbo GT Sonic Silver & 22 3 Sport Soul Red
116 Posts
Love the blacked out badging. How did you do it please?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Newer cars have notably more passive parasitic battery draw even while just sitting in the garage/driveway. That means people who don't commute M-F for a reasonable distance or need to drive much need to be more proactive with keeping the battery properly exercised. From what I have read, you should drive the vehicle at least once per week for 30 consecutive minutes at "highway speeds" to maintain battery charge/health. I don't normally hit the highways for anything, so I usually drive mine on Wednesday after finishing up work at home, for various errands around town, & also on the weekends for other errands, & I'm sure to drive the vehicle for at least a 30-45 minute total session while out traveling to the few places that I want to go (even if it means taking a longer, round-about suburban/city stop-go route to get where I want to go). So far, so good on my CX-30, though my previous 2020 Corolla had some sorts of electrical issues/flaws that resulted in 3 new batteries in less than 2 years (among other various problems/issues it had - so much for consistent/reliable Toyota quality).

When I first purchased my CX-30 back in early February, it had 44-46 PSI from the dealership, which I corrected on my own down to my preference of 37-38. I also check my oil levels/appearance myself after purchase & any regular service visit, just to be on the safe side. Also, make sure your tire valve stem covers are there & screwed on securely after anyone else services the tires/PSI (& make sure the PSI is where you want it).

My personal maintenance preferences:
  • Oil/Filter Change every 6 months or 5K miles, whichever comes first (I tend to drive less than 2000 miles per 6 months now, since I started working from home back in 2018).
  • Engine/Cabin Air Filters Change every 18 months or 15K miles, whichever comes first (lots of dust/dirt/sand out here in AZ).
  • Transmission Fluid Change every 3 years or 30K miles, whichever comes first.
  • New Battery Change every 30 months (2.5 years).
Thanks. Yeah, I am also arranging some trips every week in order to be able to use the car anymore. I became kind of paranoid, every time before I start the engine, I am praying (hopefully it will start) haha.

About the oil change, I know Mazda recommends it max every 12 months or 20.000 km (in the CZ). Also not mentioning changing it after the engine break-in (which actually many trusted automobile experts recommends to do. As they believe automobile manufacturers intentionally don't recommend because they don't want you to drive decades like you were doing with some of old cards before).

When did you change your first oil? I am wondering what your opinion is about what I wrote above.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I am also arranging some trips every week in order to be able to use the car anymore. I became kind of paranoid, every time before I start the engine, I am praying (hopefully it will start) haha.

About the oil change, I know Mazda recommends it max every 12 months or 20.000 km (in the CZ). Also not mentioning changing it after the engine break-in (which actually many trusted automobile experts recommends to do. As they believe automobile manufacturers intentionally don't recommend because they don't want you to drive decades like you were doing with some of old cards before).

When did you change your first oil? I am wondering what your opinion is about what I wrote above.
I did my first oil change on my 2020 Corolla SE at less than 1000 miles, as a break-in oil change. I didn't on my CX-30, but waited until the 6 months mark instead because I knew it was just going to have around 1500 miles on it then. If I was driving more miles per month & knew I was going to be changing at 5K miles instead of 6 months, I would have done my first oil change around 700-1000 as a break-in oil change on my CX-30.

·
Registered
116 Posts
FWIW, since most of thevehicles I own don’t get driven more than 10,000 kms a year, I do my own oil changes twice a year. Spring and Fall.
Consider the fluids in a motorized vehicle like the blood in your veins and keep it clean and healthy.

Reactions: OldFart

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did my first oil change on my 2020 Corolla SE at less than 1000 miles, as a break-in oil change. I didn't on my CX-30, but waited until the 6 months mark instead because I knew it was just going to have around 1500 miles on it then. If I was driving more miles per month & knew I was going to be changing at 5K miles instead of 6 months, I would have done my first oil change around 700-1000 as a break-in oil change on my CX-30.
So you still follow break in oil change as before even if Mazda doesn't mentions it in the manual. That's where I am hesitant too. Soon we are planning a long trip (around 6000km in a month). One side of me says "better to do it", the other side says " come on Mazda is a well known brand with its reliability, they would write it in the manual if otherwise".

My car is currently at 2000km. Oil changes are 1 year/20.000km.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Worth watching, even though it's from a Toyota expert mechanic about a Toyota. Even he admits that manual/OEM service recommendations are designed for a vehicle to last the warranty period @ minimum cost-to-own/maintain, & isn't about the best interests or longevity of a vehicle beyond that. So, if you want maximum longevity out your vehicle, it's best to be more liberal & proactive when it come changing oil/filter, transmission fluid, engine/cabin air filters, etc.

On a related note, watch his pretty recent review of the 2022 CX-5 on another one of his channels. The CX-5 shares some of the mechanicals with the CX-30 & he was pretty fond & positive regarding the Mazda SkyActiv 6-speed transmission design.

Reactions: imns

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oil change intervals as required by the manufacturers are based on normal driving.
What is normal?
As per my wife the automotive expert regarding service, she states that in our environment we fall under the category of severe driving conditions. Extreme heat, extreme cold, and short trips.
Since I do my own oil and filter changes (with the manufacturers oil filter to avoid any crapola in a claim if I need one), I change them early on the first one from factory and twice a year thereafter. On average I might get 10,000 kms a year on each vehicle.

Reactions: Muteferric

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD Turbo - Build 3/21
41 Posts
View attachment 5176
Where do I start.

I've owned my 2021 cx30 GT Turbo since October 2011. I should've waited for the '22s to come out. Here's what to watch our for...

First issue:
- Noticed my windshield wipers were freezing in heavy snow making it very difficult to see... and not deicing. Yes, my rear window defrost was on for a while. Took it to Mazda and after them not believing there's a wiper deicer (you sold me the car... shouldn't you know?) They determined it was faulty and replaced the windshield. This was in December or January

That one wasn't working either... so they ordered another and this time tested it BEFORE installing it on mine. It also was faulty. They told me once that happened ALL of the stock of windshields disappeared from inventory for all of Canada. So we wait... finally they received another windshield in June. IT ALSO DIDNT WORK and the inventory was wiped again. Fml.

- Within the first two months I noticed it intermittently stopped locking when I walked away... and wouldn't unlock without using the buttons on the remote. Mazda determined the sensors were a problem. They fixed it under warranty using a TSB for the Mazda3 (exact same sensors)

- Oil level warning! All of a sudden I got an oil level warning out of nowhere back in May i think. Checked it when I got home and it didn't even register on the dip stick. Took it to Mazda to find out there's a problem with ALL 2021 turbo engines (3, cx-50, etc). I was the second customer to have the issue... Mazda doesn't truly know what's wrong nor do they know how to fix it... the TSB for this also existed before I bought mine. I honestly should have been informed ahead of time.

And this brings me to the non mechanical stuff....

Sound System
- I went from a 2017 Mazda3 GT with an 8 speaker Bose system to the CX-30. All I have to say is: the system in the 3 was WAY "bassier" like, thumping. The CX-30 not as much, some xm channels are bassier than others fersure. But the same songs that would shake my car over bluetooth were not even close to bassy in the 30.

The Front Armrest Console
- Is just a deep pocket. Amazon has some great trays that fit in there no problem and make much better use of the space.

Automatic parking brake
- Always engages, annoying af.

Low Battery Warning
- Happens way too frequently... like if you're cleaning the car, etc.

Traffic Sign Recognition
- Just plain sucks. Sometimes doesn't pick up speed limits...

Blind Spot Warning
- Sometimes it gets activated when turning with absolutely nothing near you.

All things considered though... once you get used to how it handles... it is an absolutely fun vehicle to drive! A little "turbo-laggy" sometimes but when it kicks in... you feel it. Love driving with my window down when I can sometimes hear the turbo kick in. Could I be the next Paul Walker? Probs not. Lol!

I still love it. The colour is stunning, the ride on the stock tires is pretty quiet and overall great. I even went as far as ceramic coating and getting xpel film on the bumper, hood, side.mirror covers and the piano black pillars on the doors. Of course I also had to black out the badging too.

TL;DR... skip the 2021 models if any are left.
I have a 2021, and don't have any of the issues you have. Although the front windsheild issue, really the rest is just the way it is, some is personal taste. Heck even Audi / Toyota had oil consumption issues for YEARS. Spending 40k on a car doesn't mean there won't be issues, same goes for 100k unfortunately the expectations of the joe consumer is over rated.

No issues with defroster or wipers and hardly ever use the rear defroster. In fact, the defrosting is almost as good as the BMW in those cold mornings when the front window is frosted up.

No oil consumption issues, you didn't mention how long after last service or # of kms. I drive about 12,000 kms a year, but get an oil change every 6 months.

Sound system is above average, it's better than my M340;)

Front armrest is prefect, just a little deeper than my M340.

I only have low battery warning when taking it to the dealer because they have it it accessory during service.

Traffic sign recognition. My BMW M340 does the same thing, and it doesn't suck!

Blind Spot, this could easily happen depending on what it see's when turning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is yours a turbo though? The oil issue is only with the turbo engines. And if it is turbo and you haven't.... congrats lol.

As for traffic Sign Recognition I drove from Antigonish to Halifax the other day and it didn't pick up a single 110 sign on the 104 except for maybe one... at some point it decided the speed was 5kph tho... and 20.... it started recognizing signs after truro on the 102 but then from fall river to bedford it didn't.

The low Battery Warning has a software update I need to speak to Steele Mazda about that I just found out.

The sound system tho as I said was far better in the mazda3 I traded in. When they removed the woofers from the doors and made it just one woofer in the trunk is when the bass quality went down... and the quality over bluetooth sucks much more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts