Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

Does your CX-30 have unsightly bumps on the exterior black trim panels?

• Yes

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else here have weird indents/bumps on the exterior black molding? (pictures attached - reflections on body intentionally obscured)

Service center will not repair under warranty since it is not a defect but caused by manufacturing, and was on all CX-30s (like it was normal).

As proof, they showed that these indents and bumps were also on their showroom CX-30, a loaner CX-30, and even one at the entrance to showroom.

From my view, I don't think Mazda intended these indents/bumps on the molding.
200629-00655.jpg 200629-00656.jpg

·
Registered
20 CX-30 AWD JBM Prem
134 Posts
I haven't noticed them on the lower door cladding like yours, but I have in a couple of locations on the wheel arch. I have a feeling this will be an eyesore that will get worse with time.
Yours looks terrible on the door trim.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
373 Posts
without knowing the original posters location and specific model they drive, it's hard to put this info in context.

Also some regular coloured photos of the "offending" panels would help too, as black and white textured images really don't help what you actually see with your eyes.

Reactions: cx30dr1vr3

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hecho in Mexico. I think they overtightened whatever is fastening the panels to the metal body.

Bought it at a dealership in Denver, CO. Premium package.

Surprised to see the defect (dealership service advisor won't call it a defect, of course) on a loaner, showroom, and showroom entrance CX-30s.

Unfortunately, I didn't inspect all the other CX-30s on their actual sales lot for this defect.

E-mailed Mazda Customer Experience with photos and awaiting their reply to see if this is the quality we should expect from Mazda.

Also awaiting reply from a different dealership to see if there are similar bumps on their cars.

So if you're about to buy a CX-30, and you're reading this, please consider checking the black trim for those unsightly bumps before you commit.

·
Registered
373 Posts
rx8dr1vr3 - please fill out your location and drive info in account settings, so it shows up each time you post, saves a lot of hassle for everyone.

Thanks for the tip (y)

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Naranja, you're a mind reader. I'm thinking of that same risk... Just hope potential buyers see this and closely inspect those panels before committing.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 SkyactivX GT Plus FWD AT - Polymetal Grey
40 Posts
My GT Plus has these defects, too. You can only see them if you look at the car from a certain angle. I suppose it's a moulding/casting defect. Nearly all CX-30s I've seen have them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
here's where all those panels get fastened, I would suspect they just got pushed into those holes with clips, and not fastened from the other side (as someone thought) as that is too slow a process for a production line.

·
Registered
20 CX-30 AWD JBM Prem
134 Posts
In my opinion, the lower cladding is too soft of a material allowing it to easily deform at the installation clip locations.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GT AWD - Soul Red Crystal
134 Posts
Anyone else here have weird indents/bumps on the exterior black molding? (pictures attached - reflections on body intentionally obscured)

Service center will not repair under warranty since it is not a defect but caused by manufacturing, and was on all CX-30s (like it was normal).

As proof, they showed that these indents and bumps were also on their showroom CX-30, a loaner CX-30, and even one at the entrance to showroom.

From my view, I don't think Mazda intended these indents/bumps on the molding.
View attachment 541 View attachment 542
Yes my vehicle has them.
it is very very slight.
can only notice when looking intentionally and on a side angle.
The material I agree could be harder and it might not warp so easily. Something for Mazda to think about next year.

·
Registered
CX30 GT SPORT. A Road cyclists who drives a CX30 on the odd occasion...
323 Posts
Like alot of cars these days , look good from a styling point of view but when built and costed out they are flimsey
i remember when bumpers were bumpers, there to protect the body work... :p
the car is only been out 6 months so all under warranty so return to the dealership for them to chase mazda for a repair/replacement part.
i always remember being told years ago, wait for a car to be out for 2yr, s so all the quirks / faults are sorted, although in this day and age and the millions spend on design and testing these thing should be ironed out, but the plastic trim is deffinatly a production issue.

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went to service department of dealership that sold me CX-30 and they indicated the defect was present on the other cars for sale on their lot, so the defect was normal and part of the production process and would therefore not fix.

A different Mazda dealership indicated defect was not present on their cars and that dealership that sold me car should fix those defects.

I brought it to the attention of Mazda Customer Experience and awaiting response if this is the level of quality we should expect from their new CX-30s or if they will actually fix it.

With my luck, I will keep my expectations low. I would be pleasantly surprised if they honor their bumper-to-bumper warranty for this defect.

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here's where all those panels get fastened, I would suspect they just got pushed into those holes with clips, and not fastened from the other side (as someone thought) as that is too slow a process for a production line.

View attachment 573
Thanks! I was looking for a picture like this, helps understand what might be causing this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine has this too. Doesn't look too noticeable if I use matt dressings on the plastic. Presumably the use of glossier trim dressings will make the problem areas stand out (a bit like gloss paint on a bad wall). But it is disappointing to say the least.

·
Registered
cx 30 awd premium
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Agree Paul, it's such a letdown.

...or perhaps these unsightly bumps are meant to be part of Mazda's KODO design philosophy.

...perhaps these unsightly bumps provide a dynamic movement, an art of motion if you will, to the black trim plastic cladding that would otherwise have been boringly still, slumbering in quiescence.

Perhaps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts