Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus, Deep Crystal Blue Mica
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Curt hitch from eTrailer. Installation appeared to be more difficult than described by other owners, so I took it to South Coast Muffler, who installs a lot of hitches. When I came to pick up the CX-30 Turbo, the installer explained that he had to remove a trim piece below the bumper, or the hitch would not fit. QUESTION: Is there an additional trim piece on the Turbo, as compared to the regular CX-30? Or, did the installer mess this one up?

IMG_3989.JPG

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS AWD
58 Posts
The installer did it right. It is a bracket behind the bumper cover on both models. It is very similar to installation on a Mazda CX-3. The installer should have given you the bracket and fasteners so that it could be replaced if and/or when you remove the hitch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The installer did it right. It is a bracket behind the bumper cover on both models. It is very similar to installation on a Mazda CX-3. The installer should have given you the bracket and fasteners so that it could be replaced if and/or when you remove the hitch.
Thank you very much. Neither the eTrailer instructions nor the Curt instructions 11599 mention removing the trim piece. The installer gave me the trim piece. I think he put the clips back in the holes. Mystery solved (other than why the instructions make no mention of the trim piece).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This one might mount under that trim piece...
View attachment 1565
That's the Draw-Tite. I bought the Curt, shown on the same page. Matt took that photo, and I'm waiting to hear back from him regarding the trim piece.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS AWD
58 Posts
If you download the Installation Details form the link above it shows the bracket to be removed. I did check the Curt Instructions and it does not mention that step but the bracket interferes with the drop down from the car frame.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you download the Installation Details form the link above it shows the bracket to be removed. I did check the Curt Instructions and it does not mention that step but the bracket interferes with the drop down from the car frame.
It seems that my installer was correct. It would be nice if the instructions mentioned the need to remove the trim panel.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS AWD
58 Posts
I agree. Interestingly Curt Instructions for the CX-3 Hitch which I installed on my 2019 CX-3 did have it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Draw-tight has a bigger drop-down and looks like it will install without removing the trim panel.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS AWD
58 Posts
The first item on the Installation Instructions for the Draw-tight is " Remove bottom bracket attachment" You cannot see this part without looking under the car. It is not a trim panel. I have attached a picture---the piece covered in white salt and crap is the piece to be removed. 2 x10mm bolts and a couple of plastic fasteners. This a plastic foam piece and not hard plastic.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Premium
3 Posts
Yesterday I installed Curt Model 11599 on my 2021 CX-30 Premium (non-turbo). I'm tool savvy but had never installed a hitch before. I completed the job in my driveway in about an hour without any lifting of the car. It was not necessary to remove the trim panel discussed in this thread.

The instructions from Curt were spot on. Enlarging the frame holes to pass the carriage bolts through was a bit awkward (I used a rotary tool), but the hitch fit between the trim panel and the muffler quite nicely. Overall it was a very tidy installation and a satisfying Saturday afternoon chore.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Machine Gray
2 Posts
What is purpose of the bottom bracket as I'd like to understand the impact of not having one when hitch is installed.... thanks.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS AWD
58 Posts
My guess would be it is just a stiffener so the bottom edge of the bumper does not flap around in the breeze.
Just as a matter of interest what is the clearance between the the hitch cross piece and the back edge of the muffler---it looks close in your picture.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Premium
3 Posts
My guess would be it is just a stiffener so the bottom edge of the bumper does not flap around in the breeze.
Just as a matter of interest what is the clearance between the the hitch cross piece and the back edge of the muffler---it looks close in your picture.
The hitch crossbar is about one inch from the muffler and 1/4" from the bumper cover bracket. I used what little play there was to maximize space between the muffler and hitch.

There may be some potential for the end of the hitch crossbar to rub the bracket but I couldn't hear any rattle during a "spirited" test drive. Since the bracket is a plastic piece I'm not too worried if it occasionally rubs against the hitch. As noted earlier in the thread, the bracket appears to provide some support for the lower part of the bumper cover.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 2020, Soul Red
23 Posts
I think this is exactly what this piece is for and I wouldn't just remove it without a mechanic's opinion (which I'm not).
This piece got broken recently when I got rear-ended (nothing major, I had to really look to notice any damage) and ever since I can hear a weird deep thumping noise depending on the wind (might sound a bit like the sound of flat tires in TV shows (never had a real flat so not sure if they are accurate or not lol)) because that piece got damaged and the dealer confirmed this was why. They told me it's no major security concern and I can still drive the car on highways without restrictions until repaired, but I don't know if left unrepaired it could have long term structural impact on the bumper itself, lower fuel efficiency (added wind drag), but the noise makes the drives less enjoyable (which is why we'll get it repaired, covered by insurance anyway).

·
Registered
2021 Premium Plus Turbo
3 Posts
Yesterday I installed Curt Model 11599 on my 2021 CX-30 Premium (non-turbo). I'm tool savvy but had never installed a hitch before. I completed the job in my driveway in about an hour without any lifting of the car. It was not necessary to remove the trim panel discussed in this thread.

The instructions from Curt were spot on. Enlarging the frame holes to pass the carriage bolts through was a bit awkward (I used a rotary tool), but the hitch fit between the trim panel and the muffler quite nicely. Overall it was a very tidy installation and a satisfying Saturday afternoon chore. View attachment 1582
Thanks for this. I just bought the Curt hitch and reading other accounts made me sad. But seeing this picture made me happy.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Premium
3 Posts
Nice job. Did you install a trailer light kit also? What type?
I purchased the Curt Custom Wiring Harness #56450. Installing it is on my "to do" list. The build quality looks good and the install appears straightforward.

Stay tuned!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts