Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the CX30 from new in August 20, and I'm in the UK. The speed camera warning wasn't working & this forum helped me get the dealership to correct it. I'm hoping you can help again!
Over the past few months I have had difficulties with some of the safety features and have experienced an intermittent loss of power which I'm not sure whether its connected.
First I experienced the power just stopping then coming back. I thought at first this may be the car braking for me, but there was no warning on the display. Then one day it did an emergency stop, the dashboard was lit up like Blackpool illuminations but not before I'd been thrown back as it suddenly stopped from about 25mph to 0. There was nothing in front of me. Apparently light in the sensor can cause it - scary!! Since then I have lost power/acceleration multiple times including twice on the motorway. It only lasts for a matter of seconds but could easily result in someone going in the back of me. Then the other day, whilst cruising in 2nd gear up to a set of lights about to change, they went green, I put my foot down and nothing happened, so I put it down further, and the car just stalled with a juddering halt. Then when I restarted it wouldnt go and was just revving...all resulting in a bad burning smell. After trying again. It finally went. In the meantime I was stranded- so dangerous. It's been to Mazda twice and then can find nothing, no fault codes etc. Theyve said they need to refer it Mazda Europe. Any ideas??
At first I thought it was an issue with the safety features (anticollision super sensitivity) but now I'm not so sure and thinking maybe fuel injection??

·
Registered
AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated
682 Posts
QUOTE="SarahT, post: 7882, member: 828"]
I got the CX30 from new in August 20, and I'm in the UK. The speed camera warning wasn't working & this forum helped me get the dealership to correct it. I'm hoping you can help again!
Over the past few months I have had difficulties with some of the safety features and have experienced an intermittent loss of power which I'm not sure whether its connected.
First I experienced the power just stopping then coming back. I thought at first this may be the car braking for me, but there was no warning on the display. Then one day it did an emergency stop, the dashboard was lit up like Blackpool illuminations but not before I'd been thrown back as it suddenly stopped from about 25mph to 0. There was nothing in front of me. Apparently light in the sensor can cause it - scary!! Since then I have lost power/acceleration multiple times including twice on the motorway. It only lasts for a matter of seconds but could easily result in someone going in the back of me. Then the other day, whilst cruising in 2nd gear up to a set of lights about to change, they went green, I put my foot down and nothing happened, so I put it down further, and the car just stalled with a juddering halt. Then when I restarted it wouldnt go and was just revving...all resulting in a bad burning smell. After trying again. It finally went. In the meantime I was stranded- so dangerous. It's been to Mazda twice and then can find nothing, no fault codes etc. Theyve said they need to refer it Mazda Europe. Any ideas??
At first I thought it was an issue with the safety features (anticollision super sensitivity) but now I'm not so sure and thinking maybe fuel injection??
[/QUOTE]
To me it sounds like some sort of computer modeule isn't good and is the colprit at fault and I would really be putting the pressure on the dealership to get in touch with Mazda technical services immediately! To find what electronic component needs to be replaced and or start checking electrical continuity right from the battery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE="SarahT, post: 7882, member: 828"]
To me it sounds like some sort of computer modeule isn't good and is the colprit at fault and I would really be putting the pressure on the dealership to get in touch with Mazda technical services immediately! To find what electronic component needs to be replaced and or start checking electrical continuity right from the battery.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you
They have run some data analysis and are sending it off to Mazda Europe, so we shall see!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Then the other day, whilst cruising in 2nd gear up to a set of lights about to change, they went green, I put my foot down and nothing happened, so I put it down further, and the car just stalled with a juddering halt. Then when I restarted it wouldn't go and was just revving...all resulting in a bad burning smell.
The above quote has me wondering if there is another issue here - clutch. Sarah would you recognise the smell of a burning clutch? I wonder if there is any "electronic" comparison between road speed and engine rpm that would cause a reduction in engine power if the engine is going too fast for the road speed - the clutch is slipping so you have no additional power to accelerate. This link (common on automatics) does exist on some manual gearbox cars to adjust the engine speed to the road speed to make gear changes smoother.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The above quote has me wondering if there is another issue here - clutch. Sarah would you recognise the smell of a burning clutch? I wonder if there is any "electronic" comparison between road speed and engine rpm that would cause a reduction in engine power if the engine is going too fast for the road speed - the clutch is slipping so you have no additional power to accelerate. This link (common on automatics) does exist on some manual gearbox cars to adjust the engine speed to the road speed to make gear changes smoother.
Sorry for the delayed reply, I dont seem to be getting notifications, even though I ticked the box (will check my settings after this)
When I had my most recent issue, when the engine stalled completely, it probably was the smell of a burning clutch, though I couldn't say for certain, as I'm not great on smell identification! That was the only instance if the smell though on previous occasions there has been nothing to accompany the loss of power, no warning lights, sounds or smells. It also happens in different scenarios. Sometimes at low speed and sometimes at motorway speed. The guy at the dealership did say the clutch was a possibility. Still waiting to hear back from Mazda Europe. I have just seen today that previous CX30 models were recalled due to a problem with the SBS so I'm wondering if this is something similar.
I've had a number of Mazdas prior to this one, and this has by far been the most troublesome!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as an update on the above. The car has been in and out of the garage gathering lots if data, and has been sent off first to Mazda UK, then Mazda Europe and the HQ. Now they have the car back in the garage to take it apart to look at individual parts to try and source the issue. I've had another scenario.of loss of power that left me stranded on a busy A road with a 60mph speed limit, when trying to turn right. Just stopped mid turn, mid road. Very fortunately nothing was coming at the time. It's also become clear that my car wasnt as new as it was purported to be when it was delivered, as the "service" light came on in January, presumably at the 12 month mark, when I'd only had it 6mths & theres less than 2500miles on it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just as an update on the above. The car has been in and out of the garage gathering lots if data, and has been sent off first to Mazda UK, then Mazda Europe and the HQ. Now they have the car back in the garage to take it apart to look at individual parts to try and source the issue. I've had another scenario.of loss of power that left me stranded on a busy A road with a 60mph speed limit, when trying to turn right. Just stopped mid turn, mid road. Very fortunately nothing was coming at the time. It's also become clear that my car wasnt as new as it was purported to be when it was delivered, as the "service" light came on in January, presumably at the 12 month mark, when I'd only had it 6mths & theres less than 2500miles on it.
Hi Sarah, you certainly have had bad luck with your car, fingers crossed they get to the cause this time 🤞

1 - 7 of 7 Posts