Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Premium, naturally aspirated, AWD. Polymetal gray (love it!)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I noticed that my 2021 Premium has two wires clearly labeled (via color) positive and negative, with two very small ring terminals under the hood, approximately along the center line and just aft of the plastic logo shield that fits over the valve cover.

I’m attaching two photos: one that shows the wires/ring terminals, and one with a piece of paper behind them for contrast. The wires were initially glued to sheet metal for tidiness, but it appears the (weak) epoxy has dried up and started to flake.

Does anybody know what these wires are, and what would normally be attached to them? My first guess is maybe a piece of Mazda test equipment? Or if it’s a missing accessory, wondering if maybe I should pick one up (or raise it with the dealer)! They’re just HANGING there…

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 CX-30
54 Posts
I'd be at the dealer in a hurry. I looked under the hood of my preferred and no such unidentified wires anywhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. And I assume no 12v components in that general area that they might be connected to, correct?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Further info (thanks hiwaystar for the suggestion).

Both a multimeter and a logic probe have confirmed that there’s no power going to those wires in the ignition Off, Acc or On states. Really odd, though, that they’re even there, even if disabled or otherwise inop.

Will ask the dealer and report back…

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,032 Posts
nothing there on mine, maybe it was something left by the mechanic when they PDI'd your vehicle. But as mentioned I would phone the dealer and send them your photos (saves you a trip, unless they are close by).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Further info (thanks hiwaystar for the suggestion).

Both a multimeter and a logic probe have confirmed that there’s no power going to those wires in the ignition Off, Acc or On states. Really odd, though, that they’re even there, even if disabled or otherwise inop.

Will ask the dealer and report back…
Any update?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As mentioned to a few others who have asked me sidebar: The appointment with the dealer is later this week and I will report back. Work commitments, busy schedule at the dealer, etc. etc.

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
189 Posts
Looked at mine and don’t see ANY wires in that area. Would have to follow them back to see where they come out at…

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well -- mystery solved. And frankly I wish it was a cooler story. But I ended up saving myself a trip to the dealer.

When I ordered the car I wanted (features, interior, etc.), the dealer found one in Michigan (I'm in Illinois) and did a dealer swap. On the way down, the porter transporting that car was rear-ended...so no sale, and back to the drawing board. Car #2 was also a dealer swap, this time from Wisconsin (significantly closer, so, fewer miles on the clock when the car arrived and they honored the agreed-upon price). The dealer in Wisconsin had it on his showroom floor, so it likely wasn't started very often. (See where this is going?)

The wires with the tiny ring terminals are the "remote" end of a battery tender/charger's power cable. When I look at where the wires were placed, the terminals were JUST close enough to the battery to fit over the bolts w/the 10mm nuts on them...they just happened not to be connected to the battery at the time that I discovered them. And, as KAB suggests above, tracing the wires to the other end (about 3 feet) revealed the polarized plug that mates up to a similar plug on the battery tender. The "flaky cheap epoxy" was nothing but melted wire insulation. The wire was long enough, and the insulation melted/re-hardened enough, that the plug end was pretty well hidden and a good tug on the terminal ends didn't dislodge the wires. This afternoon I pulled a little harder, and voila. Certainly explains why I couldn't get a reading from a meter or a logic probe at any state of ignition... the ultimate "open circuit."

Of course, it could be that my dealer just didn't want a buyer freaking out about the "Low Battery Risk - Start Your Engine" endless bonging nightmare that our cars often do after 30 minutes of accessory use or open doors, and kept a charger on it all the time. (Interested in what you all think, but so far I've just accepted that Mazda's a little nanny-ish about battery maintenance and haven't pursued a dealer remedy like a software update or a probably-unnecessary new battery to resolve that warning, however temporarily.)

Maybe my next weird Mazda experience will be more interesting. :)

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
189 Posts
Well -- mystery solved. And frankly I wish it was a cooler story. But I ended up saving myself a trip to the dealer.

When I ordered the car I wanted (features, interior, etc.), the dealer found one in Michigan (I'm in Illinois) and did a dealer swap. On the way down, the porter transporting that car was rear-ended...so no sale, and back to the drawing board. Car #2 was also a dealer swap, this time from Wisconsin (significantly closer, so, fewer miles on the clock when the car arrived and they honored the agreed-upon price). The dealer in Wisconsin had it on his showroom floor, so it likely wasn't started very often. (See where this is going?)

The wires with the tiny ring terminals are the "remote" end of a battery tender/charger's power cable. When I look at where the wires were placed, the terminals were JUST close enough to the battery to fit over the bolts w/the 10mm nuts on them...they just happened not to be connected to the battery at the time that I discovered them. And, as KAB suggests above, tracing the wires to the other end (about 3 feet) revealed the polarized plug that mates up to a similar plug on the battery tender. The "flaky cheap epoxy" was nothing but melted wire insulation. The wire was long enough, and the insulation melted/re-hardened enough, that the plug end was pretty well hidden and a good tug on the terminal ends didn't dislodge the wires. This afternoon I pulled a little harder, and voila. Certainly explains why I couldn't get a reading from a meter or a logic probe at any state of ignition... the ultimate "open circuit."

Of course, it could be that my dealer just didn't want a buyer freaking out about the "Low Battery Risk - Start Your Engine" endless bonging nightmare that our cars often do after 30 minutes of accessory use or open doors, and kept a charger on it all the time. (Interested in what you all think, but so far I've just accepted that Mazda's a little nanny-ish about battery maintenance and haven't pursued a dealer remedy like a software update or a probably-unnecessary new battery to resolve that warning, however temporarily.)

Maybe my next weird Mazda experience will be more interesting. :)
Glad you figured it out. Makes sense, any wires that belong there are tucked in pretty good. As for the reason, I agree -probably got the risk warning. The logical response would be to charge the battery. Unfortunately, no amount of charging will get rid of it. And there is no fix, from dealer or otherwise. It's just the computer's response working correctly according to the program. I told them what I thought of it on my initial survey. Think I will file a complaint with them separately as well.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Skyactive-X FWD, Sport Tech, Polymetal grey
31 Posts
Melted insulation doesn't sound good - temporary cable or not.
Do you think it melted from engine/running heat? (if so then fair enough)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Melted insulation doesn't sound good - temporary cable or not.
Do you think it melted from engine/running heat? (if so then fair enough)
Unquestionably yes. All to do with where that temporary wire was resting. I cleaned the area up already and all is fine - no damage to any OEM wiring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts