Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You probably don't remember, but I've been waiting for my Soul Red Skyactiv-X 186 to be delivered for almost 5 weeks now.

The dealer told me on Friday that the car had arrived from the Port depot, and they could deliver to me next week (we scheduled for May 10). So I went by the dealer today to take a look at the car, which is still in their storage lot, and agree on a few (payment) details.

We went over to the car to take a look. Forgot my phone on my car, so no pictures. But... I got a glance at the VIN!! It starts with J!! It's a Japan-made CX-30! I know the Mexico units are not particularly problematic, but I'm nonetheless happy that mine is made in Japan.

I've also talked about replacing the tires for a set of Continental PremiumContact 6, if they would be willing to purchase the original tires. He said he needs to check with his boss about that, what they can do for me (it's a young salesman, certainly in his 20s, so it sounds like he just doesn't know if that's standard procedure or even allowed). I hope they agree with that, I don't want to get stuck with 4 tires trying to sell them by myself on eBay, if I replace them outside the dealer.

So, all in all great news! Now I'm just waiting for the salesman call still today about the tires, and then they can get busy preparing my car: install the removable trailer hitch, cleaning, registering, attaching license plate, all that good stuff. Woot woot!!

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
423 Posts
Oh we remember ..... (y)

Best of luck for May 10th! Hope the car is everything you expect - and more!

Reactions: Kijk

·
Registered
CX-30 G122 AT Comfort Machine Grey
85 Posts
All cars with the X-engine are from Japan. My early G122 as well. Have them check that all modules have the latest software versions and all service programs like that one for the liftgate have been carried out before handover!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All cars with the X-engine are from Japan. My early G122 as well. Have them check that all modules have the latest software versions and all service programs like that one for the liftgate have been carried out before handover!
Didn't know that the X engines are coming from Japan only.

How can I check myself the latest software versions and service programs? I don't want to just ask them if they did it, they'll just say Yes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is X engine the same as the turbo? I don't know the lingo? My turbo VIN starts with J. Thanks.
No, the turbo is a "traditional" gasoline engine with a turbo strapped on. The Skyactiv-X is a completely new type of engine that carefuly manages gasoline's self ignition point (like a diesel) instead of spark ignition. This allows for higher compression ratios that make the engine more efficient. Basically, it is a gasoline engine with a diesel efficiency.

·
Registered
'20 CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
86 Posts
I've also talked about replacing the tires for a set of Continental PremiumContact 6, if they would be willing to purchase the original tires. He said he needs to check with his boss about that, what they can do for me (it's a young salesman, certainly in his 20s, so it sounds like he just doesn't know if that's standard procedure or even allowed). I hope they agree with that, I don't want to get stuck with 4 tires trying to sell them by myself on eBay, if I replace them outside the dealer.

So, all in all great news! Now I'm just waiting for the salesman call still today about the tires, and then they can get busy preparing my car: install the removable trailer hitch, cleaning, registering, attaching license plate, all that good stuff. Woot woot!!
I don't know how things might work in The Netherlands but I have experience with the tire situation. I bought a new car many years ago that had tires I wasn't at all interested in having but didn't really do anything about it at the dealership and just took the car. Soon afterwards (I'm thinking it was in the first 2-3 weeks of having the car) I went into my local Goodyear store to check the price of a new set of tires. They said they would take my original tires in trade - my tires probably only had a couple hundred miles on them. They played around on their calculator (this was WAY before everyone having a computer on their desk) and said they'd swap my tires for theirs for $100 installed. SOLD! They made the swap while I waited. If a tire shop would do this today (I would suspect a smaller independent shop would be more likely to do this...) it's the way I would do it - the dealership is probably going to charge a premium well over the actual transaction price. Just my two cents worth. Good luck! You're going to love your car!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Didn't know that the X engines are coming from Japan only.

How can I check myself the latest software versions and service programs? I don't want to just ask them if they did it, they'll just say Yes.
So are the diesel cars if you can find one.

What you can check is the version of the entertainment system (10049 is latest for us), Gracenote, on-board manual (if it's installed at all, in my car it wasn't) and whether the Bose (if you have that) is up to date. Those are all updates you can do yourself as well. Same goes for the satnav maps. You can check whether e-call has been activated (in my car it wasn't). For the rest you can't, unfortunately, and you have to believe them. I doubt dealer is willing to give you screenshots.When you encounter the first problem which already is mitigated with up to date software (false alarm for liftgate, battery drain for instance) you know you have been lied to ;).

For your next car, if you know you want other tires than stock tires, make that part of the negotiations before you sign the contract. Makes it much easier to get a good prize. I negotiated Michelin ClimateCross with no extra costs for me.

Rij veilig!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know how things might work in The Netherlands but I have experience with the tire situation. I bought a new car many years ago that had tires I wasn't at all interested in having but didn't really do anything about it at the dealership and just took the car. Soon afterwards (I'm thinking it was in the first 2-3 weeks of having the car) I went into my local Goodyear store to check the price of a new set of tires. They said they would take my original tires in trade - my tires probably only had a couple hundred miles on them. They played around on their calculator (this was WAY before everyone having a computer on their desk) and said they'd swap my tires for theirs for $100 installed. SOLD! They made the swap while I waited. If a tire shop would do this today (I would suspect a smaller independent shop would be more likely to do this...) it's the way I would do it - the dealership is probably going to charge a premium well over the actual transaction price. Just my two cents worth. Good luck! You're going to love your car!
That is my experience in my home country as well, but here in the Netherlands it looks like only big chain business strives, I struggle to find smaller shops for anything other than fashion. Let's see what the dealer proposes, otherwise I'll definitely try other ways. I don't drive much which means these tires will be with me for the next 6-8 years - I don't want to have meh tires for that long.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So are the diesel cars if you can find one.

What you can check is the version of the entertainment system (10049 is latest for us), Gracenote, on-board manual (if it's installed at all, in my car it wasn't) and whether the Bose (if you have that) is up to date. Those are all updates you can do yourself as well. Same goes for the satnav maps. You can check whether e-call has been activated (in my car it wasn't). For the rest you can't, unfortunately, and you have to believe them. I doubt dealer is willing to give you screenshots.When you encounter the first problem which already is mitigated with up to date software (false alarm for liftgate, battery drain for instance) you know you have been lied to ;).

For your next car, if you know you want other tires than stock tires, make that part of the negotiations before you sign the contract. Makes it much easier to get a good prize. I negotiated Michelin ClimateCross with no extra costs for me.

Rij veilig!
Thanks Ronnie, I'll check those things. I really dislike this non-transparent culture of today's car dealers. Sure, 90% of the people rather sit at the waiting lounge having a coffee while the mechanics work their magic in the cars, but some of us would like to experience that a bit more - which is increasingly difficult. My local dealer is certainly one of those, big chain of dealerships with big legal risks and, consequently, big no-nos when it comes to sharing details.

For the tires, I was kind of confident that the car would come with decent rubber: my Mazda 3 came with Dunlop SportMaxx TT which are absolutely fantastic, so I relaxed on that respect when I ordered this. Living and learning...

Bedankt!

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
423 Posts
No, the turbo is a "traditional" gasoline engine with a turbo strapped on. The Skyactiv-X is a completely new type of engine that carefuly manages gasoline's self ignition point (like a diesel) instead of spark ignition. This allows for higher compression ratios that make the engine more efficient. Basically, it is a gasoline engine with a diesel efficiency.
Good analogy @Kijk - but I think it is a gasoline engine with diesel efficiency - but without the torque.

Haha - I suppose it's like a non-turbo diesel in that respect!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oostendorp maybe? If so, they suck big time in aftersales. I switch to independent but authorized Mazda repair shop. During inspection I sat next to the mechanic and was eyewitness of 15 module updates.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oostendorp maybe? If so, they suck big time in aftersales. I switch to independent but authorized Mazda repair shop. During inspection I sat next to the mechanic and was eyewitness of 15 module updates.
Oostendorp indeed :confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
:eek: . If it's the Den Bosch one I recommend to go to Schoonen in Vlijmen if you are getting fed up with them. Willing to do warranty work as well although haven't bought the car there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:eek: . If it's the Den Bosch one I recommend to go to Schoonen in Vlijmen if you are getting fed up with them. Willing to do warranty work as well although haven't bought the car there.
Thanks! I usually go to Uden, so Vlijmen is not far. Let's see how it goes now, but it's good to know an alternative place.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Just got a call from the dealer, they can swap the tires for the ones I want for 200 euros extra. Not a bad price, so I said OK. They will install them and get the car ready for Monday delivery!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts