Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 cx30 (100 yr edition)
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father taught me to drive and one of the mandatory rules was to keep your eyes on the road ahead and glancing regularly at the mirrors where appropriate. He made me learn how to handle controls without looking down.

That included changing radio channels, gear changing, and operating all other controls.

Do members of the forum find that difficult with the CX30? The entertainment feature has come into criticism on this forum for not being intuitive and easy to use. The sports mode is not easy to locate (much easier on my wife's Toyota Yaris)

Comments appreciated.
I value the advice and comments on this forum and follow members commenting with useful posts so that we can appreciate (like) each others' posts

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
451 Posts
I have the base model so just AM/FM radio. I have the few worthwhile local stations programmed so it's just a matter of toggling the volume button to move around stations. I don't use the steering wheel controls as they are too easy to make do something other than what I intended. If I want to do something with the wheel of fortune I might have to glance for half a second or less to orient my hand but not long enough to be a problem. Same for reaching for climate controls. I agree with look where you are aiming and check mirrors regularly.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,191 Posts
I've been driving for over 60 years, and yes I agree about using controls by touch (or a split second glance) I find the infotainment set up really great in this respect as you can make changes by feel. For me I make use of both USB sockets with flash-drives in them as I enjoy listening to my own music collection (my very first record was purchased as a 78rpm (I wonder how many know what that is without Googling it) in 1957 😆. I also like to check on the navigation to it's so easy to switch between the nav and music by simply pressing a button that I don't even have to look at. Also with the display being set high on the dash and further forward it makes it more intuitive in glancing at the screen.

With regards the sports mode, as this is something that in my case I very rarely use (it also disconnects as soon as you use cruise anyway) , but it is in a easy location to make use of (as it controls the shifts of the transmission and is located next to the shift leaver), it makes a lot of sense.

Also now (unlike on many of previous vehicles) you have more "auto" features that you now don't have to select, like auto climate control, auto wipers, auto high beams and now even the cruise controls it's own speed once set.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS 2.5L, Luxury Package, Soul Red Crystal
156 Posts
As Mazda themselves say, the infotainment system takes some time to learn. So, not as intuitive as other brands. However, once I learned the system, I rarely need to take my eyes off the road. It is all muscle memory for me now.
I may glance at the menu to see where I'm at, then while eyes back to the road, I know how many clicks on the wheel to get to where I need to go.

Same goes with the sport mode button ... I just got used to where it is. (but rarely use it)

Give it some time, you may end up appreciating the system more in the long run.
And... I'm so glad there are buttons and dials. Touchscreens, in my humble opinion, are an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 AWD Select
15 Posts
I like it so I don't have to reach to it but I find scrolling confusing more than ever, but that could be due to Apple Carplay and how it handles the scroll wheel, I can never figure out which way it wants to scroll when I'm trying to select something so I ended up just picking up my phone and changing the map, or music, but when navigating the stock menu for setting changes is pretty easy, I tend to switch back and forth between driver side audio and entire car audio when I'm either driving alone or with partners.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS 2.5L, Luxury Package, Soul Red Crystal
156 Posts
I like it so I don't have to reach to it but I find scrolling confusing more than ever, but that could be due to Apple Carplay and how it handles the scroll wheel, I can never figure out which way it wants to scroll when I'm trying to select something so I ended up just picking up my phone and changing the map, or music, but when navigating the stock menu for setting changes is pretty easy, I tend to switch back and forth between driver side audio and entire car audio when I'm either driving alone or with partners.
One tip (if you don't know it already) while in car play...

Many people don't know that the scrollwheel is also a joystick control. You can push the knob forward, backward, left or right.
So, if you are on the main screen and an icon on the top row is highlited, you can simply joystick down to the second row instead of turning the scrollwheel until it gets to the bottom row.
Most lists in carplay can also be scrolled through using the joystick function (kind of like 'page up' and 'page down'.)

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 AWD Select
15 Posts
One tip (if you don't know it already) while in car play...

Many people don't know that the scrollwheel is also a joystick control. You can push the knob forward, backward, left or right.
So, if you are on the main screen and an icon on the top row is highlited, you can simply joystick down to the second row instead of turning the scrollwheel until it gets to the bottom row.
Most lists in carplay can also be scrolled through using the joystick function (kind of like 'page up' and 'page down'.)
I did know this and still struggle with it, sometimes it will jump too high, especially in apple music it will jump a page I believe. Luckily I can just hit my phone's screen since I have a mount that sits right next to the windshield wipers that make it easy to access the screen and quickly jump to playlists or directions.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
784 Posts
I find the infotainment pretty intuitive, but then I had a BMW before the CX-30 so using their iDrive was a pretty good learning experience. My CX-30 is a manual, so I don't know what sports mode is. Changing down one or two gears when overtaking has also shown me that the CX-30 doesn't know what Sports Mode is either! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

There isn't much that you need to take your eyes off the road for when driving. I could wish for clearer steering wheel markings on the buttons and for the speed camera notification to repeat itself either in the dash or in the heads up display. Other than that it's an easy car to drive safely.

I use DAB radio and USB music mainly with occasionally a blast of Bluetooth audio now and again. All pretty easy to use with your eye on the road.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As Mazda themselves say, the infotainment system takes some time to learn. So, not as intuitive as other brands. However, once I learned the system, I rarely need to take my eyes off the road. It is all muscle memory for me now.
I may glance at the menu to see where I'm at, then while eyes back to the road, I know how many clicks on the wheel to get to where I need to go.

Same goes with the sport mode button ... I just got used to where it is. (but rarely use it)

Give it some time, you may end up appreciating the system more in the long run.
And... I'm so glad there are buttons and dials. Touchscreens, in my humble opinion, are an accident waiting to happen.
Totally agree that touchscreens are dangerous.
I hope my learning curve on the infotainment screen and other features is not too great. I'm not going to take my eyes off the road

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
152 Posts
I've gotten to the point where I can do basic things like change station, skip tracks, etc without looking and navigate Android Auto well enough.

I think you just memorize where all the buttons are over time and I've had the car 4 months at this point so I remember where all the buttons are most of the time

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5 S PR AWD
17 Posts
I've been taking it out on the daily getting used to the Commander Control knob. After about a week of driving the same route, I've learned how to do things by touch and feel. I do like the 4 main buttons on each of the corners around the knob. Comes in very handy! Regarding touchscreens in vehicles, I've always thought that was a terrible decision. Why encourage the driver to take the eyes off the road to see where they need to press to enable whatever function. And that doesn't even go for when the ride isn't totally smooth and your hand is not as stable - you end up doing something you don't even intend to do!

Someday, when speech recognition is good enough and/or when cars have trustworthy Level 4 or 5 automation, will I rethink my position on touchscreens in cars.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Sport Tech, Soul Crystal Red, 2020 reg
87 Posts
I use Spotify through Android Auto and that can be controlled with the buttons on the steering wheel.
Maybe the occasional glance over to the display screen, but Mazda have limited the range of options available there while driving.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan SE (6-MT)
31 Posts
I prefer to just have a single USB drive loaded with 1000+ songs of my favorite music & always let that play at random (or from a specific folder) while I drive. I never interact with my vehicle's systems/controls while driving other than perhaps to adjust the A/C setting/blower. Also, my "smartphone" stays in my pocket while I drive. Sadly, too many people are selfish, self-absorbed idiots in their car (like they probably are everywhere else also) & doing everything but paying attention to their driving & just enjoying a "peaceful time-out" from everything that usually crowds our day.

Reactions: MattOwensRees

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Sport Tech, Soul Crystal Red, 2020 reg
87 Posts
Android Auto has a microphone icon on the far right. Click on that, and you can just ‘tell‘ Spotify to play whatever album or artist you want to hear.
It‘s not something I ever do anywhere else but, when in the car on my own, I find it actually works quite well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I prefer to just have a single USB drive loaded with 1000+ songs of my favorite music & always let that play at random (or from a specific folder) while I drive. I never interact with my vehicle's systems/controls while driving other than perhaps to adjust the A/C setting/blower. Also, my "smartphone" stays in my pocket while I drive. Sadly, too many people are selfish, self-absorbed idiots in their car (like they probably are everywhere else also) & doing everything but paying attention to their driving & just enjoying a "peaceful time-out" from everything that usually crowds our day.
@SDJ puts that well and I fully agree.

I only use the safety and entertainment controls if I can do so without taking my eyes off the road. The brake hold button for example, the sports mode, the a/c, direction indicators.

If I would need to take my eyes off the road I don't use that particular control.

Most safety conscious drivers use their interior and exterior mirrors wisely. In Thailand, you need to do that a lot as bikers can approach you on your side of the road and overtake you on both sides of your car. You simply can't move your eyes down to the car's control area.

Even when signalling left (Thailand drives on the left), a biker may still overtake you. The warning signal given when that happens in the CX30 is particularly useful. I then sound my horn and turn only when I see that he has stopped. If he proceeds to turn, I let him.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@SDJ puts that well and I fully agree.
I only use the safety and entertainment controls if I can do so without taking my eyes off the road. The brake hold button for example, the sports mode, the a/c, direction indicators.
If I would need to take my eyes off the road I don't use that particular control.
Most safety conscious drivers use their interior and exterior mirrors wisely. In Thailand, you need to do that a lot as bikers can approach you on your side of the road and overtake you on both sides of your car. You simply can't move your eyes down to the car's control area.
Even when signalling left (Thailand drives on the left), a biker may still overtake you. The warning signal given when that happens in the CX30 is particularly useful. I then sound my horn and turn only when I see that he has stopped. If he proceeds to turn, I let him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts