Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had pretty much decided on a CX 30 GT for my next car but just finished an overnight test of a Kia Seltos SX and now I’m not sure. I’m in Canada.

Kia: More room, heated seats front and rear, cooled seats, steering wheel heated all around, great infotainment, better looking (subjective), wireless charging, longer warranty, better low end torque, $3K less.

Mazda: Nicer interior ( Kia not bad), more carlike ride, better HUD, good infotainment,Homelink, adaptive lighting

It seems like a no brainer for me but I’m new to both brands and wondering if anyone that has experience with them can offer any insight. I plan to keep it for a long time.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
373 Posts
well I'm a three time Kia owner and currently seriously considering the CX-30 and I've basically dismissed the Seltos (I was hoping to make a change from my current Kia Soul, but found the packaging of the Seltos all wrong for me) however, I am not interested in the top models of either brand.

You must be comparing the EX Premium to the CX 30 GT to get about $3k less . That model comes with a 2.0L MP engine with 146 hp and 132 lbs ft of torque, only the turbo SX model gives you more low end torque than the 2.5L in the CX-30
Seltos EX Premium - $30,595; CX-30 GS with Luxury package - $30,550
SX - $32,595; CX-30 GT - $33,850

I have found all my Kia models very reliable, the reasons I stuck to the brand. However, I wanted to make a change from the Soul (very good vehicle but just wanted something different), and hoping the Seltos would be that vehicle till I saw how they packaged it and then I basically removed it from my selection.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the Seltos SX Turbo. I should have mentioned that a large part of the price difference is in my trade. The Kia dealer was much more interested in it.
The Seltos is actually packaged perfectly for me in SX trim. For instance while I forgot to mention it the Mazda has memory driver seat which I’ve never used in previous cars while the Kia has power passenger which is much more useful for us. And the Kia has remote start on the factory fob which is nice to have.
Really I just need to get over the hard plastics in the Kia. You don’t really notice it until you touch them but I’m coming from an Audi.
Long term reliability and dealer service is very important. While the Kia sales folks are easier to work with the facility itself isn’t impressive. Again, I’m used to Audi which is first class but I don’t need that. At least Mazda has a nice building, decent waiting area, an actual service counter, loaner vehicles, professional employees. Of course none of that matters much if I don’t need to be there often and issues are handled promptly.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
373 Posts
you have to decide what works best for your own use and within your budget, no vehicle is perfect, it's always a trade off.

As I mentioned I found all my Kia's very reliable, not had a single mechanical problem (transmission and engine) on any of them. I started with my first Kia in November 2007 with a 2008 Rondo EX with a 2.4L engine and 4-spd auto, I owned that for 4 years and had four warranty claims; traded that on a 2012 Soul 4u with a 2.0L and 6-spd and owned that for 4.5 years and had one warranty claim (the back-up camera lens fogged up); I then traded that for my current 2016 Soul SX which I have now owned for just over 4 years and not a single problem with it. It also has the 2.0L (164 hp) and 6-spd auto.
I use my local dealer for service (it's not necessary if you don't want too), but they have been very good and just go in once every 6 months.

The head designer and one of the CEO's for Kia came from Audi - Peter Schreyer.

Some people have found the 7-spd DCT used in the turbo model difficult to get used as it does not operate like a standard auto, particular when in slow traffic.

I have not actually sat or seen a Seltos as my local dealer has only just started to get them in recently and due to the current situation it will be some time before I will be visiting any dealer, some of them a closing for a period too.

I have heard that comment about hard plastics in many of the video reviews. Back in mid-February when I had my last service on my Soul, I checked out the Soul version that interest me (EX Premium) and then went next door to the Mazda dealership and took my first look at the specific model that got my interest and virtually the same price as the Soul EX Premium - the CX-30 GS FWD. I took lots of photos of both vehicles and then compared them side by side with comparable shots at home and this pushed me in the direction of Mazda.
It was the clean lines, and uncluttered interior and the attention to detail that I found on the Mazda that impressed me. Kia seems to be more and more of a habit of de-contenting their vehicles, but as a first time buyer you wouldn't know that.

You should fill out your location and what you are driving in "Accounts settings" and then it shows up each time you post. Canada is a big country.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up with the Seltos and very happy with the choice. Treatment by the Mazda dealer was the final push but I realize now I was too focused on the interior luxury treatments and not enough on the car itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts