Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand-new 2022 CX-30 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus I signed for 2 weeks ago. Prior to signing, I noticed a knocking/popping noise in the driver front tire area. The service manager at the dealership test-drove and confirmed the noise, and a service advisor said technicians believed the front strut thrust needed a replacement (odd to me since the car was new and only had 14 miles on it). My salesperson said they'd order the part and replace it under warranty. I took their word and signed my lease. Mind you -- this dealership is nearly 40 miles from where I live. I had to make the trip out and they replaced the part (and my salesperson needed to give me my navigation chip) -- but the sound still persisted, and I only noticed it once I got near home. I called my salesperson in disbelief and she just gave me a very dismal "You can bring it back in tomorrow first thing. I'll need the service manager to drive it to confirm the noise. That's all I can do."

I brought the car to a much closer Mazda dealership instead and got an appointment for this morning. This place told me a top bolt for the strut was found to be not fully bolted in and that they screwed it in and I should be ok -- they drove like 12 miles with my car to confirm no more noise. I get in my car and immediately upon reversing, already hear the popping noise again. I drove around a bit to be sure, and yep -- the sound was still in full swing. I go back into this dealership and the service advisor has the tech who worked on my car take a drive with me. The noise is audible and even he confirms it. (I have no idea WTF he was listening to during those 12 test miles. A joke.) Now I have to leave my car at the dealer (aka be car-less) while he and the other "senior techs" take a "deeper look" into what is wrong. I just got a call updating me saying the techs aren't 100% sure what is wrong and I'd have to keep the car there overnight.

This honestly is a really bad experience and horrible way to start off my lease. And this is coming from someone with a BMW that's currently spent 3 weeks now at a dealer to replace shit (I have a SULEV warranty on that). I am supposed to sell that car but looks like I may need to hold onto it until this Mazda is fixed.

If this knocking/popping noise doesn't get fixed in the next 2 attempts, I will probably have to look into pursuing the Lemon Law to either get my money back or have a dealer find me another CX-30. Anyone have experience going down this route?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a brand-new 2022 CX-30 2.5 Turbo Premium Plus I signed for 2 weeks ago. Prior to signing, I noticed a knocking/popping noise in the driver front tire area. The service manager at the dealership test-drove and confirmed the noise, and a service advisor said technicians believed the front strut thrust needed a replacement (odd to me since the car was new and only had 14 miles on it). My salesperson said they'd order the part and replace it under warranty. I took their word and signed my lease. Mind you -- this dealership is nearly 40 miles from where I live. I had to make the trip out and they replaced the part (and my salesperson needed to give me my navigation chip) -- but the sound still persisted, and I only noticed it once I got near home. I called my salesperson in disbelief and she just gave me a very dismal "You can bring it back in tomorrow first thing. I'll need the service manager to drive it to confirm the noise. That's all I can do."

I brought the car to a much closer Mazda dealership instead and got an appointment for this morning. This place told me a top bolt for the strut was found to be not fully bolted in and that they screwed it in and I should be ok -- they drove like 12 miles with my car to confirm no more noise. I get in my car and immediately upon reversing, already hear the popping noise again. I drove around a bit to be sure, and yep -- the sound was still in full swing. I go back into this dealership and the service advisor has the tech who worked on my car take a drive with me. The noise is audible and even he confirms it. (I have no idea WTF he was listening to during those 12 test miles. A joke.) Now I have to leave my car at the dealer (aka be car-less) while he and the other "senior techs" take a "deeper look" into what is wrong. I just got a call updating me saying the techs aren't 100% sure what is wrong and I'd have to keep the car there overnight.

This honestly is a really bad experience and horrible way to start off my lease. And this is coming from someone with a BMW that's currently spent 3 weeks now at a dealer to replace shit (I have a SULEV warranty on that). I am supposed to sell that car but looks like I may need to hold onto it until this Mazda is fixed.

If this knocking/popping noise doesn't get fixed in the next 2 attempts, I will probably have to look into pursuing the Lemon Law to either get my money back or have a dealer find me another CX-30. Anyone have experience going down this route?
I had a similar issue with the new 2021 CX-30, 5 days after we bought it, took it back for the knocking noise I had heard. They couldn't get it to make the noise so they checked all the bolts in the front end. A week later I brought it as it seemed ok at first and then started to make the same noise, now even worse. I took it back to the dealership. They said they thought it was the passenger side axel. Ordered it and replaced it to find that it wasn't that. Told me it was the drive side front axel but the part was on manufacturer backorder until October (mind you we bought the car mid-July) but they stated they took the part of another car on the lot and it did fix the knocking noise.... The catch was they took it off a care that was already sold so they couldn't give me that part. Used their loaner car from end of July until Mid- October when they got the part and replaced it. Since then the car has been great but definitely make me a little discouraged about the car initially.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a similar issue with the new 2021 CX-30, 5 days after we bought it, took it back for the knocking noise I had heard. They couldn't get it to make the noise so they checked all the bolts in the front end. A week later I brought it as it seemed ok at first and then started to make the same noise, now even worse. I took it back to the dealership. They said they thought it was the passenger side axel. Ordered it and replaced it to find that it wasn't that. Told me it was the drive side front axel but the part was on manufacturer backorder until October (mind you we bought the car mid-July) but they stated they took the part of another car on the lot and it did fix the knocking noise.... The catch was they took it off a care that was already sold so they couldn't give me that part. Used their loaner car from end of July until Mid- October when they got the part and replaced it. Since then the car has been great but definitely make me a little discouraged about the car initially.
Holy shit, that’s horrid. I know some parts are on backorder or take weeks to arrive. I guess I got lucky despite how bad my situation was (car having the noise when it was still on the dealer lot with people test-driving it too). But I feel you — this incident gave me a bad start to Mazda. Lol. I also have noticed my acceleration seems to lurch sometimes. I turned out of a shopping center today, and the car seemed to just zoom forward as I steered. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
3 Posts
Holy shit, that’s horrid. I know some parts are on backorder or take weeks to arrive. I guess I got lucky despite how bad my situation was (car having the noise when it was still on the dealer lot with people test-driving it too). But I feel you — this incident gave me a bad start to Mazda. Lol. I also have noticed my acceleration seems to lurch sometimes. I turned out of a shopping center today, and the car seemed to just zoom forward as I steered. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Unfortunately, the pandemic really put a delay on the part. My husband called corporate to try and get the ball rolling a little sooner but it didn't really help us get the car back sooner. The GM where we bought it did help us out by waiving the pet portion of the loaner car after we explained we were to be leaving the end of August for 2 weeks for NC and we had already made arrangements to bring our dog in the CX-30, so that made our life a little easier during the inconvenient time we were without the car. Just a little frustrating not being able to enjoy my new car my husband surprised me with for a manufacturing issue. Luckily everything was covered under warranty and didn't cost us anything.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, the pandemic really put a delay on the part. My husband called corporate to try and get the ball rolling a little sooner but it didn't really help us get the car back sooner. The GM where we bought it did help us out by waiving the pet portion of the loaner car after we explained we were to be leaving the end of August for 2 weeks for NC and we had already made arrangements to bring our dog in the CX-30, so that made our life a little easier during the inconvenient time we were without the car. Just a little frustrating not being able to enjoy my new car my husband surprised me with for a manufacturing issue. Luckily everything was covered under warranty and didn't cost us anything.
Yeah, I’m sorry to hear. I wasn’t able to enjoy my car either until this week. Same thoughts as you with warranty.

My local Mazda desler wasn’t even able to get me a loaner or comp my Ubers. I had to pay for 3 trips to/from the dealership and my house. Was $10-12 each way. At least you got a pet fee waived and a loaner.

But yes, glad my issue was fixed. Mazda needs to up the assembly and quality control at the Mexico plant.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 G25 Touring
35 Posts
Yeah I'm curious if that would fix my knocking issue too. However did you know what the issue was with your control arm. Was it the bushes or the ball join?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm curious if that would fix my knocking issue too. However did you know what the issue was with your control arm. Was it the bushes or the ball join?
I don't know exactly what was wrong. The paperwork doesn't specify and only says that the left lower control arm was found to be making noise.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX30 GX AWD
13 Posts
I have a 2021 CX30 GX AWD financed it new. Thoroughly disappointed with this car/manufacturer. Just a heads up, be on the look out for axle noises.as well. I have had 2 Rt. front axles replaced. Stupid mistakes the service made,.as was in those 2 times for "clicking noise" ON THE LEFT SIDE!!!!when turning. After taking it in for the 3rd time for the same noise the correct Lt front axle was replaced. I believe there is now a service bulletin re:axles. Have had nothing but problems with this vehicle since I bought it. Have changed dealers as well. I think I have a lemon...May have to start a new thread.!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My driver seat creaks on/off when I enter the vehicle to sit in it now. Not the worst thing in the world but it bugs me sometimes. Not worth going to a dealer just to fix though. I know nothing is perfect, but that’s been 3 issues in just 3 months’ time. Mazda needs to increase QC at its Mexico plant or move all production into the US.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX30 GX AWD
13 Posts
Yes Mazda definitely needs to monitor and improve quality control both at the factory and the dealerships. I have had 7 issues with this vehicle since purchase and will now be going in for the same kind of noise you are discussing. Was in for it about a month ago and was told "everything is tight nothing loose" even though I reproduced the noise with the tech in the car with me. Frustrating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts