Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
‘17 CX-9 Signature & ‘19 Mazda 3 GT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced having issues inside the LED headlight housing that appears as cloudy-murky spots? Looks like dried up water-humidity within the housing lens. I’ve never experienced this in any of my other 3 Mazda vehicles until now (appear in both front headlights). See photos:
This is from a 2019 Mazda 3 GT so the headlight assembly will look very similar to the CX-30;
Wanted to know if this is a wide-spread issue before taking my car to the dealer...
0E95D54D-9717-45B7-ADF1-364C339BDDCE.jpeg
98296FF8-1791-48D9-B5F4-5098D02AC36C.jpeg
D76C5B42-9CDF-4BCA-A004-D09D63B5AEC8.jpeg
BB2FB677-FF83-461D-A324-6AD2D5B270E6.jpeg
EAF4F6FE-2203-424C-A9CD-BDBD3F094FB6.jpeg
12EF46F0-EF4E-4710-91B8-3EEF7615A33A.jpeg
BD136462-ECEE-42A1-BB62-404A237B9A7B.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GT - Skyactive G - 2.5 L AWD
284 Posts
Has anyone experienced having issues inside the LED headlight housing that appears as cloudy-murky spots? Looks like dried up water-humidity within the housing lens. I’ve never experienced this in any of my other 3 Mazda vehicles until now (appear in both front headlights). See photos:
This is from a 2019 Mazda 3 GT so the headlight assembly will look very similar to the CX-30;
Wanted to know if this is a wide-spread issue before taking my car to the dealer...
View attachment 1309 View attachment 1310 View attachment 1311 View attachment 1312 View attachment 1313 View attachment 1314 View attachment 1315
Nope nothing noted here

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
705 Posts
the CX-30 lights seem to be quite different to the above photos, can't say I've noticed anything unusual but will take another look now this has been mentioned.

Reactions: tekz

·
Registered
47 Posts
noticed this last night in my own car but not sure if it was all on inside due to hard frost. Will keep eye over next few days. Had a volvo that used to be the same. Will keep an eye.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
noticed this last night in my own car but not sure if it was all on inside due to hard frost. Will keep eye over next few days. Had a volvo that used to be the same. Will keep an eye.
These are “sealed” units so moisture shouldn’t be getting in. I think that’s the challenge with LED housings as they don’t heat up enough unlike the halogens so any moisture dries up! I’ll be taking mine to the dealer to be looked at as I think this is a warranty issue...

·
Registered
47 Posts
These are “sealed” units so moisture shouldn’t be getting in. I think that’s the challenge with LED housings as they don’t heat up enough unlike the halogens so any moisture dries up! I’ll be taking mine to the dealer to be looked at as I think this is a warranty issue...
Quite right they are sealed. Sudden drops in temp can do it. We have experienced that this week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quite right they are sealed. Sudden drops in temp can do it. We have experienced that this week.
According to the dealership, these new headlight housing designs implemented by Mazda on the 2019 MY’s and newer are now the “vented” type therefore condensation is considered as “normal” and they’re starting to see them as well in other Mazda 3s in their lot. I am not sure about the CX-30 though. The previous design was the “sealed” type but had a few issues with water pooling internally at bottom of the housing that’s why Mazda went to the vented design. Not particularly pleased about them but looks like nothing can be done and won’t be considered as a warranty claim. They’re not that bad in appearance and only noticeable when you look closely at the headlights but disappointed that Mazda went with the vented design and won’t cover them under warranty. Oh well...so much for disappointments!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here’s a TSB from Mazda North American operations to help explain the condensation found in headlight assemblies of certain models including the 2019 Mazda 3 and to determine if issue is claimable as warranty or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
705 Posts
had a chance to take a closer look on my headlights and don't see any problem.

Reactions: tekz

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
had a chance to take a closer look on my headlights and don't see any problem.
Good for you then! I agree that condensation is normal to occur within headlight assemblies due to change in ambient temps and maybe the best remedy soon as you spot them would be to dry them up using a blow dry...wish I’ve done that before but too late.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mazda Cda has approved the replacement of both my front headlights ($2K CAD worth) with the help from my local dealership where I bought the car from as they had to justify and fight it over with Mazda that there was indeed a defect and while condensation does occur normally, they shouldn’t leave permanent significant cloudy spots though. They initially refused to cover the replacement under warranty to prove their argument that the headlights work fine and condensation is not considered as a warranty claim so they went back and forth with dealer but I believe they also acted in good faith afterwards considering it was a brand new vehicle bought off the lot that had an issue and wasn’t spotted. They will replace it only for this time and if the issue happens again in future they will no longer replace them - I said am fine with that arrangement of course if the headlights become functionally defective then that’s a different case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts