Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Preferred
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having troubles getting Android Auto to work with my phone. One suggestion was to try different cables. Ended up buying a new one and that seemed to correct all my problems. Til I came out the next morning and saw a warning message on the dash display about a low battery & I needed to drive the car to charge it. That's when I realized I had left the USB cable plugged in, it has a fancy LED multi-colored ring near both ends of the USB cable. I didn't notice that when I purchased the cable, but obviously there is enough of a draw for those two lights to run down the battery. Just an FYI, now I'll have to go find ANOTHER cable without the lights....;)

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
270 Posts
To be honest, if an LED lamp, which will likely be drawing 10mA current or less, drains a car battery overnight, then you've a problem with the car battery!

And I am not sure, but I think the USB power switches off when the car goes fully to sleep, so the issue might be elsewhere with your car.

Please check without the charger in place and if you still have problems then I'll tack this thread with the low-battery thread and you can see what the others are doing about it.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Preferred
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was surprised as well. I've started removing the cable from the front USB port every time I leave the car and the battery message has not re-appeared. I'll also ensure the USB Cigarette plug is not in the storage compartment socket except when charging the phone while driving. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GS 2020
157 Posts
I hope Mazda will solve this battery issue because it is absolutly not normal to drain a brand new battery with a little USB cable - NOT ACCEPTABLE - we should all complain to Mazda about it. Something is wrong somewhere !

·
Registered
2021 Turbo Premium
14 Posts
If you have a USA car, power to the usb shuts off about 5 minutes after you turn the car off. It also comes back on as soon as you unlock the car or open any door. I've verified this with my dashcam that is powered from one of the usb ports. The low battery
alarm is a problem, but your charging cable isn't causing it, Mazda is!

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Preferred
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have a USA car, power to the usb shuts off about 5 minutes after you turn the car off. It also comes back on as soon as you unlock the car or open any door. I've verified this with my dashcam that is powered from one of the usb ports. The low battery
alarm is a problem, but your charging cable isn't causing it, Mazda is!
Good to know. I'll stay alert for that re-appearing. Should be easy to test, just leave the cables in and look into the car 10 or 15 minutes after shut off. The leds will be easily seen in the dark.

·
Registered
2021 CX30, Black on Black, AWD
14 Posts
As AJVPB said... the USB port in the front of dash does turn off after 5-6 minutes (manual confirms that), BUT the USB port in the center consol does NOT. I have been using my 128gb flash drive (for music) thru the front usb port for months...no problem. I purchased a 6in long usb cable (no disco lites) to make it easier to attach flash drive. I now leave cable and flash drive connected, although I select "No Audio" from the entertainment menu.

My 6mth old CX-30 has not had any battery issues...for any reason.

Good luck

J,

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS 2.5L AWD Pearl White
13 Posts
Perhaps this is of interest: I asked myself the same question and plugged in a little USB Voltmeter (Charger Doctor) into the front USB receptacle and shut the car down. After a few minutes the LED Display went dark, indicating that the car switched OFF the USB power feed. I have no idea how other CX-30 vehicles behave. Here is a link to serve as an example:

I also have a USB memory stick inside the center storage compartment and it appears to be OFF too. I usually don't drive the car for four days a week and so far I have not had any similar power warnings.

Hope you can get to the bottom of this.

Scotty

·
Administrator
270 Posts
I'm the same as you, @Scotty73 - and my car is of UK build. The front USB goes off and the console USB also goes off.

I still thing the USB unit is a red herring and the issue is elsewhere.

Reactions: JohnnieDR

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS 2.5L AWD Pearl White
13 Posts
I'm the same as you, @Scotty73 - and my car is of UK build. The front USB goes off and the console USB also goes off.

I still thing the USB unit is a red herring and the issue is elsewhere.
Good to know, that your EV behaves the same way. BTW, my car is built in Mexico. These modern cars are quite the learning experience. I was "forcibly" moved in time from 2006 to 2021;-)

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Only 2006? My SLK is 2002 (and I still run her whenever I can). Good though the CX-30 is, it's the SLK that puts a smile on my face when I drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts