• Every 5K Regardless of Time

• Something Else

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Cx-30 Select Package
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil a year ago at 5K miles with full synthetic, now only 8400 miles on the odometer. Should I wait a few more months till it clocks 10k or go ahead and change now at 12 months? It gets plenty of spirited freeway miles when it gets out.

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
559 Posts
Check the sofa, the floor of the car, anywhere likely for lost change. When you get a dollar or two then my comments will be worth a coffee. I change my oil based on the OM recommendations. If it's printed in their manual it should be the correct thing to do. I change based on the extreme/severe service schedule. Most of my driving is 2 to 3 miles. Living in a small town is convenient. I don't remember if they give two schedules for synthetic/plain or not. If not, I would presume they are basing it on the shorter intervals of plain oil. I'd add about 35% for synthetic. Plain oil I would change once a year regardless. Synthetic I'd go 18 months. Those are all just my opinion. YMMV. Find enough change and they're worth coffee. Good luck with your decisions.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
220 Posts
Do what it says in the manual and keep your receipts to maintain the warranty. If anything comes up they'll try to screw you, don't let them.

I would presume they are basing it on the shorter intervals of plain oil. I'd add about 35% for synthetic.
The standard schedule is for full synthetic, like a lot of recent cars they spec synthetic to increase the service interval.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thats two votes for whatever the manual says. Good advice to follow at least until the drive train warranty expires at 5 years. Here's what the manual says: "The display/wrench indication will come on before reaching the maximum interval of 16,000 km (10,000 miles), or 12 months (after the previous maintenance)." I'm coming up on 12 months so we'll see if the idiot light or Mazda app alerts me.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
281 Posts
"Plain oil" does not meet the vehicle specifications and should not be used. The oil should be changed at one year regardless of the mileage. That being said, when you pull the dipstick what does the oil look like? Then what does the oil spot made from dropping some of the oil onto a clean paper towel look like?

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,364 Posts
OK, thats two votes for whatever the manual says. Good advice to follow at least until the drive train warranty expires at 5 years. Here's what the manual says: "The display/wrench indication will come on before reaching the maximum interval of 16,000 km (10,000 miles), or 12 months (after the previous maintenance)." I'm coming up on 12 months so we'll see if the idiot light or Mazda app alerts me.
you can also set your own time frame or distance if you wish, that's what I do, just set it for every six months as a reminder.

Reactions: naranja

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 AWD, Carbon Edition (CE)
171 Posts
I'm only driving about 3000 miles per year these days (2-3 "errand" outings per week) & will be changing my oil every 6 months.

Reactions: naranja

·
Registered
23 Posts
I changed my oil a year ago at 5K miles with full synthetic, now only 8400 miles on the odometer. Should I wait a few more months till it clocks 10k or go ahead and change now at 12 months? It gets plenty of spirited freeway miles when it gets out.
I change my oil( in all my Turbo vehicles) every 5000 miles with full synthetic . I would never listen to the manufacturers . Just scroll over to any GM/Cadillac forum and check out the timing chain issues with the 3.6 NA engines, all because of GM's oil change intervals . GM has since cut it in half . Bottom line Turbo's love fresh oil , I would never go 7500 -10,000 miles regardless what the oil or manufacturer says .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you can also set your own time frame or distance if you wish, that's what I do, just set it for every six months as a reminder.
Good to know. Mine did just alert me (12 months since my last oil change). I think I'll leave it that way to follow the manual, at least till the drivetrain warranty is up. Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts