Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Update your profile.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all. New CX-30 owner here, trouble free for the first two months except for one issue. A few times with the ignition button pressed once to the "Accessory" position to listen to the radio, after about 30 minutes I would get the "Low Voltage Risk - Start Engine" alarm on the center dash display. The alarm would sound for about twenty seconds and then go out.
The engine started with no problems and after idling for about 5 minutes shut off the engine and no more alarms.
I will call the dealer ASAP. I couldn't find info in the owners manual about this alarm.

Anyone familiar with this problem?

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
660 Posts
I've been checking things out on the display with it in the accessory mode and find that it automatically turns off after about 25 minutes no alarm, just turned it back on and continued.

Maybe this alarm is a new 2021 feature, as you did not state the year you have.

·
Registered
2021 Turbo Premium
14 Posts
I get it semi regularly. I'd been driving the car a bunch so the battery should have been fully charged. I had doors open while cleaning the interior, no radio on, and got the alarm after a while. I complained about this on the survey they sent out and have read of others having the same problem. I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as having an issue with your particular car, but I'd still call the dealer as more people bringing it up will hopefully lead to a fix.

·
Update your profile.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done more research online and it seems like the "Low Voltage Risk 12v Battery-Start Engine" alarm and display that appears in the speedometer display is a is a software glitch and is not a true low voltage condition of the battery. From what I read Mazda is working on a fix and I would assume they will issue a recall if needed.
I never tried measuring battery voltage when I got this alarm but my CX-30 started normally.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Please Americans understand RECALLS are ONLY for Safety, this is a MDARS Software Update that will be done @ your next service or if the Dealer Service guy says come in and we will update now (10 min job) ..Recalls are only for Safety in every country.
All car brands today (latest generations) have teething software glitches as everything is monitored.
Now MNAO or MME or MUK or MA 'may' issue a Special Service Program for certain production vehicles via a VIN which are identified with an issue and it is not a recall., recalls are lodged by car manufacturers and usually then mandated by the country Gov regulators.

·
Update your profile.
4 Posts
Hi Y'all. New CX-30 owner here, trouble free for the first two months except for one issue. A few times with the ignition button pressed once to the "Accessory" position to listen to the radio, after about 30 minutes I would get the "Low Voltage Risk - Start Engine" alarm on the center dash display. The alarm would sound for about twenty seconds and then go out.
The engine started with no problems and after idling for about 5 minutes shut off the engine and no more alarms.
I will call the dealer ASAP. I couldn't find info in the owners manual about this alarm.

Anyone familiar with this problem?
This is a new firmware update by Mazda to warn that the battery is low and need to switch the ignition on to prevent a dead battery. When this alarm pops up, there is nothing to worry about and no need to call Mazda or bring the car to the center; all you need to do is turn the ignition on immediately and drive the car for long-distance (recommended is around 100 km according to Mazda) to fully charge the battery. Hence, the alarm will disappear and your car will be back to normal.

To prevent this alarm, do not use radio, light, air-con, etc. while in accessory mode. Turn the ignition on if you really want to use the radio.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
268 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Perhaps, this is applicable, although it's not written exactly as you wrote the error message that you got

Info about this message can be found in the owners manual here: CX-30 Owners manual

Otherwise it's pretty much as Paulex_82 stated, further information can be found in this service alert.

Attachments

·
Update your profile.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps, this is applicable, although it's not written exactly as you wrote the error message that you got

Info about this message can be found in the owners manual here: CX-30 Owners manual

View attachment 1523

Otherwise it's pretty much as Paulex_82 stated, further information can be found in this service alert.
Thanks so much for the information, this is exactly the situation I was referring too. I couldn't find this in the owners manual although I may have missed it.
I was concerned my CX-30 might of had a weak battery. I wouldn't expect a fully charged battery to deplete so quickly with just the Accessory condition pressed on the ignition switch to listed to the radio.

·
Update your profile.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a new firmware update by Mazda to warn that the battery is low and need to switch the ignition on to prevent a dead battery. When this alarm pops up, there is nothing to worry about and no need to call Mazda or bring the car to the center; all you need to do is turn the ignition on immediately and drive the car for long-distance (recommended is around 100 km according to Mazda) to fully charge the battery. Hence, the alarm will disappear and your car will be back to normal.

To prevent this alarm, do not use radio, light, air-con, etc. while in accessory mode. Turn the ignition on if you really want to use the radio.
Thanks for your reply Paulex_82, but although I am no auto expert, I have to disagree with your last statement about using the Ignition On mode versus the Accessory mode. With the Ignition On (vehicle not running of course) ALL of the electrical systems are on such as AC, radio, power windows, locks, etc which places a greater draw on the battery. The only thing active in Accessory is apparently the radio so there is minimum drain on the battery.

·
Update your profile.
4 Posts
Thanks for your reply Paulex_82, but although I am no auto expert, I have to disagree with your last statement about using the Ignition On mode versus the Accessory mode. With the Ignition On (vehicle not running of course) ALL of the electrical systems are on such as AC, radio, power windows, locks, etc which places a greater draw on the battery. The only thing active in Accessory is apparently the radio so there is minimum drain on the battery.
I agree with you that radio drains minimum battery, however, for CX30 has a huge infotainment screen that can drain the battery a lot faster, especially if you keep playing with the controls, and not to mention the Bose sound system (assuming you have in your car model) has powerful speakers and a power-hungry subwoofer. Apart from that, the key fob is always transmitting radio wave signal to your car, which can drain your battery as well. Also, if you open the door will cause to drop the battery level. So, if you sum up these factors, it sure can deplete your battery faster.

But in the end, it really depends on your battery condition. If you have a full charge battery, probably you can listen to music for a longer period. I hope this helps.

·
Update your profile.
4 Posts
For the "ignition on", what I mean is "engine start". My bad.lol

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GS 2020
157 Posts
From my point of view, it is not acceptable to have a Low Voltage Risk just by using the radio but, unfortunatly, the radio is part of a bigger system that obviously drains alot of power. I have been boosted 4 times so far and one of these was in a drive-in theator :( I sent a complain to Mazda and I had no reply so far.

·
Registered
77 Posts
OMG,
ACC
Ignition on
is ONLY when you Push to Starts Car (lights in dash cluster), YOU DO NOT LEAVE car in Ignition On mode without Starting ENGINE ever for long periods (it should auto shut off after time out anyway).
ACC Mode means Accessory, that is what you use to listen to Radio for short periods of time.

As for draining battery at a 'drive in', Well if you are listening through cars audio system?, with Bose Amp powered then yes after a few hours watching a Movie you will kill the Battery Charge.

ANY other drainage is becasue Key Fob is left too close to car when car off and not in use as CAR thinks you are about to start or enter car....the fix, move Key Fob further away from car or turn the Key Fob Off if you are garaging car for longer than 2 days (small side switch).

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GS 2020
157 Posts
OMG,
ACC
Ignition on
is ONLY when you Push to Starts Car (lights in dash cluster), YOU DO NOT LEAVE car in Ignition On mode without Starting ENGINE ever for long periods (it should auto shut off after time out anyway).
ACC Mode means Accessory, that is what you use to listen to Radio for short periods of time.

As for draining battery at a 'drive in', Well if you are listening through cars audio system?, with Bose Amp powered then yes after a few hours watching a Movie you will kill the Battery Charge.

ANY other drainage is becasue Key Fob is left too close to car when car off and not in use as CAR thinks you are about to start or enter car....the fix, move Key Fob further away from car or turn the Key Fob Off if you are garaging car for longer than 2 days (small side switch).
ALL the cars in the drive-in pass the test except my CX30 - what a shame, you should admit, don't you ?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hmmm. . . I got the "Low Voltage Risk 12v Battery-Start Engine" within days of purchasing my new 2021 CX30 Premium Plus (White/black rims). I thought the dealer must have had it in accessory mode too much before I bought it. Husband charged the battery to 100% (following the owners manual carefully). The next morning I got the same warning. I had not even driven the car or used it in accessory mode. Perhaps a SW issue? And the recommendation to drive around 100 km doesn't work for me. I barely drive 10 miles a day. The most miles will be driving it back and forth to the dealer as I have the wheel problem too and need the road force balancing to remove vibrations that occur from 50 MPHish (different thread I know). Geez. . . :rolleyes:

Update - now that I set the door locks to automatically lock when I leave the car and ensure the key fob is greater than 23FT from the car, this problem is gone. However I have to foot stomp with thanks Scotty73's detailed analysis/post (below) and agree that the design is flawed. Should be able to leave the doors open and unlocked in my garage for long time before affecting battery . . .

·
Update your profile.
4 Posts
Hmmm. . . I got the "Low Voltage Risk 12v Battery-Start Engine" within days of purchasing my new 2021 CX30 Premium Plus (White/black rims). I thought the dealer must have had it in accessory mode too much before I bought it. Husband charged the battery to 100% (following the owners manual carefully). The next morning I got the same warning. I had not even driven the car or used it in accessory mode. Perhaps a SW issue? And the recommendation to drive around 100 km doesn't work for me. I barely drive 10 miles a day. The most miles will be driving it back and forth to the dealer as I have the wheel problem too and need the road force balancing to remove vibrations that occur from 50 MPHish (different thread I know). Geez. . . :rolleyes:
The battery will drain even if you do not turn the car in ACC mode or start the engine, with the following conditions:
  • Opening door(s)
  • Key fob is near the vehicle
  • Using the electric liftgate
  • Adjusting electric chair
  • Using indoor lights
  • Not using the vehicle for longer days
Please check the above conditions to avoid draining the battery.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
18 Posts
I get it semi regularly. I'd been driving the car a bunch so the battery should have been fully charged. I had doors open while cleaning the interior, no radio on, and got the alarm after a while. I complained about this on the survey they sent out and have read of others having the same problem. I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as having an issue with your particular car, but I'd still call the dealer as more people bringing it up will hopefully lead to a fix.
Driving the car charges the battery very slowly. If you routinely have it in accessory running the radio you will pull the battery to a low state of charge and then it will be even more likely to give you this alert.

FWIW. When a battery is discharged to the point that a car needs to be jump started it takes 8 to 12 hours to bring it back to a full state of charge on a shop's battery charger. It would take at least that much driving time to do the same.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS 2.5L AWD Pearl White
13 Posts
A Hello from Canada,

I bought recently a CX-30 and run into this reported behaviour. Hence, I decided to investigate the power management of the vehicle by inserting a Current meter between the negative Battery post and Chassis Ground connection and explored the current draw during the various operating states.

1) When the vehicle is locked and at sleep, after a few minutes the battery current drops to 0.007A or 7mA. This is very good as parking the vehicle for a long time (Airport Parking Lot) wonˋt be much of a problem as any lead acid battery has comparable self discharge rates. Three month non-use should be possible.

2) Whenever the keyfob is used to unlock the car the current initially jumps to 11.7A (with headlights on) and then drops to about 4.5A after the headlights turn off after some 30s. Opening the car door adds 0.5A.

3) entering ACC Mode 1 by pressing the Start Button causes the car electronics to wake up with the center display and dash coming alive. In this state it draws continuously about 4.5A. Playing the radio does not change that, although playing it loudly will increase current draw. That explains why the warning is issued after some 20m.

4) entering ACC mode 2 by pressing the Start Button twice causes current drain to increase to 11.7A.

5) when the car is in sleep mode and you press the map light button, the car wakes up and it draws again 4.5A. The map lights themselves draw only 0.2A. (It is not quite clear, why so much car electronics must activate to simply turn on the map lights. But this is how they design cars nowadays).

The following current values are derived by extracting the differences between switch settings as the basic current drain of 4.5A is always present. For example, headlights current is 11.7A - 4.5A = 7.2A.

6) Break lights draw 0.6A

7) headlight draw together 7.2A or 3.6 each.

8) Steering wheel heater draws 4A.

9) when powering the car down, the current stays initially at about 4.5A. After a few minutes it suddenly falls to 0.23A and after another minute or so to return to sleep mode of 7mA.

To put this in perspective with respect to the battery capacity used up by the time you get the first low battery warning, a word might be in order. It is likely, that the fully charged battery is of a 55AH type. Now, with using the radio for 20min you would have consumed 4.5A for 20 minutes or 4.5* 0.33 = 1.5Ah. That means, that in one hour you would use up about 8% of a full battery's capacity. Now, If you were driving a long distance and you get stuck at the ferry terminal waiting for the next ferry, you could safely play your radio for 1-2hours, assuming the battery is in good condition without restarting your engine. Make sure, you are using Accessory Mode 1 which is the first Active state when pressing the Start Button once. If you are not careful and select accidentally ACC Mode 2 you will be drawing almost 12A and draining the battery much faster.

I have not tested yet what happens long term with the doors open. Will the system go back to sleep or continue draining the battery at a 5A rate until it is empty?

I really wish the manufacturer would take those things seriously. It should be possible to leave the vehicle doors open indefinitely without discharging the battery completely. If this is actually the case, the engineers that allow such design flaws should rethink how vehicle technology should be designed. There is absolutely no excuse for letting people be stranded because of those ill-fated design decisions.

Remember, there are computers in the car that could intervene and protect itself from complete self discharge. It is high time, that fool proof power management be instituted in new cars. It is unacceptable that all those problems experienced by car owners happen in the first place.

What good is a vehicle, that one cannot trust, as far as power states are concerned? When I leave the vehicle I want to be implicitly able to trust, that the electronics is not pulling a fast-one on me.

Anyways, it is my hope, that the above information helps in understanding what happens in the vehicle during the different active states.

Warning: Be careful when performing measurements on your own and avoid at any cost starting the engine. You will likely blow the fuse of the meter or destroy it thoroughly. Even the vehicle could potentially become damaged. I also inserted my meter without breaking the circuit and causing system restart issues.

Apparantly, with tools such as ForScan and Software some of those values can also be extracted or read out via the OBD2 port. But I had no opportunity yet to explore this avenue.

I am not happy with the findings. As an industrial electronics HW and SW designer I find it appalling that cars are designed this way. the map lights should not require a Stage 1 system power up. An independent microcomputer controller could have handled that by itself without getting the rest of the car involved.

Also, not being able to play the media unit for a very long time while stopped in traffic (construction site delays, ferry waiting times) is dissppointing. In my previous car I had an ALPINE media player and could run it just about forever. Picture waiting for a missed ferry for two hours:)

It is a sad state of affairs to design vehicles this way. It proves that sensible power management of the vehicle us not a very high design priority. The excessive complexity of modern technology in general is an Achilles heel and can contribute to excessive future expensive repair costs, for which the car owner cannot be made responsible, but still pays outside warranty period. I guess, that is the price we have to pay for having "Digital" everything in our lives nowadays...

The lack of a front 12V outlet us also an irritant to me.

On a personal note, I had to purchase another vehicle because a semitrailer truck destroyed my previous one while parked. I drove a 2006 Toyota Matrix before and the differences between 2021 and 2006 are shocking. The Matrix was the most reliable vehicle I ever owned and had over 230000km on it With only minor repairs. It was practical and sensible. I would have bought a new one without hesitation. The CX-30 is a lovely replacement. But will it be as longterm reliable? The direct injection principle seems to imply periodic valve cleaning actions every so often. Why do the spark plugs only last 1/3 the Toyota ones did? At the time, I very much enjoy the vehicle. It is a pleasure to drive and very comfortable.

Another potential problem is the position of the Center Console USB jack. What idiot placed it in such an exposed position so that, when an USB memory stick is plugged in, it is very easily possible to knock it and damage possibly both the USB device and the USB jack inside? (I recommend buying a right angle USB extension cable, so the the USB memory can be lying on the bottom of the storage compartment connected to the other end of the USB cable and no longer risks being inadvertently being damaged by normal use of the storage compartment).

Not really on topic here, I have also discovered some somewhat annoying software bugs in the entertainment system that should have been caught by Mazda software quality assurance. But it is nearly impossible to motivate the manufacturer to adress such flaws and it is unacceptable that we owners have to live with such probiems because those problems are not important enough to them. It is absolutely appalling how much flawed software is in our lives nowadays In all kinds of technology products. Forget about talking to the dealers. They can't do anything other than load newer firmware. Those problems can only be addressed by the appropriate company Engineering Departments.

Anyways, all the Best to all of you,
Scotty73

1 - 20 of 26 Posts