Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021, CX-30 Grand Touring FWD Dark Gray
46 Posts
"-although if we think about it--accumulated events leads to battery failure to start the car" This is correct, but only part of what the engineers are trying to prevent with "smart charging systems". One thing often overlooked is that when a battery ends up staying low state of charge, it's total lifespan can be significantly shortened.

I have been watching the battery in my CX for several weeks to gain some insight into Mazda's system and it's not that different from a number of manufacturers. They don't keep the battery at 100% state of charge, in fact it appears that 80-90% is the target based on this chart. View attachment 1921

That actually makes a lot of sense because the battery isn't just for starting the car. It helps prevent voltage spikes (it's technically speaking the largest capacitor in the car) in the vehicles systems when it can readily accept any charging current, and it also supports system power under conditions where vehicle demand is higher than the alternator can produce.

Without writing a whole class on smart charging systems here, a test that can be run by any owners willing to do so would be to park the car with the hood open after having just been driven. Measure the battery voltage. This voltage "should be" relatively high (over 12.8v in most cases). This would be considered "surface charge". Remeasure the voltage after the car has sat for an hour. Some decrease in the battery voltage is expected because of both the surface charge dissipating and some normal parasitic loads as modules went to sleep. Repeat this measurement at two hours, three hours, and four hours without disturbing the car and waking modules up. By now everything should be stable and the batteries true state of charge should be reflected by the chart above. If your battery checks out lower than 12.28v, a 60% state of charge then you will be seeing the battery saver message earlier which means the system will not let you keep the doors open, or run the radio (accessory mode) as owners have been describing. That's enough for now, lets see what the battery state of charge is for the owners having issues.
Well John---After I found this post here about a german car maker having this exact same problem since 2004--I am guessing the start of adding so many different sensors to their cars...and now my CX-30 having somehow similar issues. In my own personal case--after I run around my own car--example, while cleaning it and or washing it...which never before caused similar problems to my previous cars--unless of course I was playing my electronics at full blast--which I sure did when I was younger.

However--I did hear some beeping and funny noises while I was washing it. Have no idea what those noises were coming from--But, having some experience with electronics--there seems to be some sensors running (operational) where they should be none...and are being activated by my close presence to to car...those are my two cents.

All car sensors should have a condtion in order to be active and/or running. They all should be completely non-operational if the car engine is not running + seat belts locked.

Doors, hoods and rear doors do turn a light on--however, we know most cars (since many years back) shut this light off automatically after few minutes-in case we accidentaly leave them open--of course, to prevent killing the battery by accident.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
50 Posts
Well John---After I found this post here about a german car maker having this exact same problem since 2004--I am guessing the start of adding so many different sensors to their cars...and now my CX-30 having somehow similar issues.
Right at the beginning of the article it says "Lieff Cabraser is investigating complaints about sudden vehicle battery failures across the Mercedes-Benz line". The majority of the events likely only appeared to be sudden. The perspective that it started "fine" just an hour ago and now it's "dead" is not surprising but the reality is a badly discharged battery (nearly dead) can still start an engine and appear to be fine when it is already in bad condition. So as long as it was starting the owner didn't suspect anything and that's why it is perceived as "sudden". The real question from there is "why" was the battery's state of charge and condition depleted?

One of these days I'll explain the load shedding, and the various stages. Sooner or later someone will notice one or more of them and post some very specific symptoms while the vehicle is being operated. It's probably been happening already with the ones that failed to start and had to be jumped or towed but the manufacturers do try to make some of this less objectionable to owners so they can slip by unnoticed.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda Turbo Premium Plus
7 Posts
Hi All,

I got this alert in my 600 mile new CX-30 Turbo. I am assuming that based on that Service Alert 005-21 posted that just keeping the car idling with the engine on is enough to clear this issue ? My problem is that my car is kept valet parked for long amounts of time 2-3 weeks at a time. Do I tell the parking attendant to just start my car 5 minutes at a time from time to time ? Seems ridiculous to me.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Polymetal grey GT Sport Tech Skyactiv G auto
15 Posts
Hi All,

I got this alert in my 600 mile new CX-30 Turbo. I am assuming that based on that Service Alert 005-21 posted that just keeping the car idling with the engine on is enough to clear this issue ? My problem is that my car is kept valet parked for long amounts of time 2-3 weeks at a time. Do I tell the parking attendant to just start my car 5 minutes at a time from time to time ? Seems ridiculous to me.
With mine, just idling it will not clear the alert. It needs driving for a while. However, as my dealer told me, there's no need to worry about the alert, it doesn't mean the battery is actually going to die, it's just warning you that you could be draining it if you continue doing whatever it is you're doing 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I idled the car about 15 minutes, it went away per the Service Alert, let's hope this doesn't happen too often.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Preferred AWD, sonic silver
14 Posts
New CX-30 owner (2021 Preferred AWD), and after being parked each night I get the alert. Was checked by the dealership, and told battery, alternator are both ok. Asked to check for a parasitic battery drain, and also told by dealership no issue.

Damn annoying to see this on a car less than a week old. Would not have purchased the vehicle if I knew this was going on.

·
Premium Member
2021, CX-30 Grand Touring FWD Dark Gray
46 Posts
New CX-30 owner (2021 Preferred AWD), and after being parked each night I get the alert. Was checked by the dealership, and told battery, alternator are both ok. Asked to check for a parasitic battery drain, and also told by dealership no issue.

Damn annoying to see this on a car less than a week old. Would not have purchased the vehicle if I knew this was going on.
Hello Digital Doc---
I feel you for you and I agree--we do not buy a brand new vehcle to start having problems we have no idea how to resolve.

So, what did the dealer said (or guess) it is causing the low battery alarm to go off? I mean, the car is telling you something--we need to find out why...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Digital Doc---
I feel you for you and I agree--we do not buy a brand new vehcle to start having problems we have no idea how to resolve.

So, what did the dealer said (or guess) it is causing the low battery alarm to go off? I mean, the car is telling you something--we need to find out why...
Dealer did not have any great answer. Was told that the low voltage warning is very sensitive, but car should start. Was also reassured that electrical system checked out ok, and no phantom battery leak found, although do not agree.

I am testing theory and plan to leave car off for a few days, and see if battery totally drains. Also waiting to hear back from corporate.

Such a shame as the vehicle really drives well otherwise, but this issue is already a fatal flaw to me. If not addressed well, I will not be buying any more Mazda products I have already decided.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
710 Posts
I've have not had a problem in this regard at any point since buying the vehicle.

I've not driven a lot due to the various lock-downs, but then again this puts more strain on the battery. I have also just sat in the car with it on ACC and played around with the various features of my command display to learn how they function and this can go on for quite some time, as it turns off after about 25 minutes, then I just turn it back on and continue again.
Also my car sits for a week at a time and then I drive it for only about 35-40 km, always started instantly regardless of the temperature. I purchased the car at the end of July 2020 so this has been the same all through the winter months.

I was requested by my local dealer to come to come in for a software update in this regard in the early part of March.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mazda CX-30 AWD Turbo Premiun, Soul Red
40 Posts
My CX sits in the garage for 3-4 days and has started each time.
If I clean it before putting it up, the low voltage alarm does go off and as soon as I open the door a few days later, it yells at me again, but starts.
If I do not clean it and just park it, then 3-4 days later, the alarm does not go off when I open the door.
So it appears nothing is causing it to drain once it shuts down.
I do keep my keys in a metal can inside my house and also in my garage. Once I unlock the CX to do whatever, I put the keys into a metal can with a lid, even inside the garage.
I found that if I keep the keys in my pocket or just laying on a bench inside the garage, they must try and communicate with the car as that will trigger the low voltage alarm. Took me a while to figure that out but now it only goes off if I keep the doors open too long, even when turning the interior lights off.
Great vehicle but it does have its stressful quirks.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
50 Posts
This is a snapshot of what is going on. I understand that it's more important to most owners to not have to deal with this at all but a little insight won't hurt IMO. The first attachment is a battery test that I did on my CX April 13th (I had to correct the date if the first test on the printout). The second one I just did today, May 5th.

If you recall the battery voltage to state of charge chart that I uploaded, a battery at 12.54v has an 87% SOC (state of charge). A battery at 12.23v like mine is now has dropped it's SOC to 54%. I don't do much traveling right now and won't until we start getting classes scheduled. The car only went for two trips this past week (total 100 miles), otherwise it's just had several short start-up/shut down events which would pull the battery down. What has to be figured out is how much of the battery's current state of charge is because of how I used the car and how much of it represents a potential issue. Either way the point is, if the battery continues to be depleted I'll soon get the same problems as has been described by others, but it didn't happen all at once. It took nearly a month to pull the SOC down some 30%. It would take about seven weeks from now to possibly encounter trouble starting the car if the trend continues. In the mean time I'll plan to test and prove if it is how the car has been used or if there is something wrong. If there is something pulling the battery down, I should be able to prove what exactly is doing it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I have the car off since yesterday. I have already been keeping my keys in a metal box away from the car.

Frustrated as I also own a CX5 with none of these issues. Wondering if the Mazda connect which is on the CX30, but not the CX5 is causing any of this.

Will wait a few days, and see if the car still starts, or if the battery fully drains. Will give me a good idea how serious this drain is.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GT - Skyactive G - 2.5 L AWD
284 Posts
32 000 km here with no special treatment of the keys....have not seen the warning, nor had any starting issues and no updates.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think if you drive the car several times a day, the user will not likely get the low battery alert as it gets recharged frequently. Or the issue may not be affecting all the vehicles. Either way, my car is brand new with a problem.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
438 Posts

Appreciate your frustration with the car, but please update your profile and post an introduction. It's all explained here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well mine happened again. Kept the car off for about a day or so, kept the keys far. The car is now sitting in a garage for about 2 days and I hope it starts after 2 days.

·
Registered
2021 CX30 GT
27 Posts
From my point of view, it is not acceptable to have a Low Voltage Risk just by using the radio but, unfortunatly, the radio is part of a bigger system that obviously drains alot of power. I have been boosted 4 times so far and one of these was in a drive-in theator :( I sent a complain to Mazda and I had no reply so far.
I agree and I also have complained and we All Need to be pro-active in complaining with these issues at all levels... it is not Acceptable I told them that... and makes our new expensive vehicles unreliable.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts