Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CX30 GT AWD Snowflake White
49 Posts
Hello Scotty--Thank you for such a nice and comprehensive report on this battery drain issue---as per your right on comment at the end--on the question--do manufacturers designers care about customers complaints? Do they really not care?

I do know Japanese managers are always concerned about what end users think of their products--at least from my personal experience working for almost 15 years for one of them....Not in the automobile industry--however, bottom line; I personally think they do care. What is happening is that we can not get to them--or, at least I haven't figure out how to get to them, yet. I will keep trying though. Do you know if having a higher CCA battery may help on this ussue? My CX-30 has a 520 CCA battery now. This is maybe too low....
I feel the same way about letting the Japanese know what is going on and how to reach them also...please post if you find out how to let them know....and tell them to look up this Forum...that might get them to react. thanks Susan

·
Premium Member
2021, CX-30 Grand Touring FWD Dark Gray
49 Posts
I feel the same way about letting the Japanese know what is going on and how to reach them also...please post if you find out how to let them know....and tell them to look up this Forum...that might get them to react. thanks Susan
Thank you Susan--very much appreciated, really. I did publish a paper long ago about Software Updates for consumer electronics in the advent of the Digital era in TVs---I am now going through the same transition but in cars--and I do see and appreciate how SU will be a life saver for many of us, consumers and manufacturers as well. I think you all should check your software version under your Gracenotes option in your Car Settings--and if you do not see Version 02071--go ahead and update it yourself--it is quite easy. See instructions and download firmware here.

I read the Japan website and they (Mazda Japan) does place super high importance in talking with customers--but, they have a procedure in place--only one "window person" per country. I am trying to get to my window person in Mexico and guess what--his email address bounced back as NG--go figure. Also-please read attached PDF--specially page 34--about how Mazda Japan feels about customer feedback. They are just not getting our feedback--because the dealers are not really paying close attention to us. Just went through a similar CX-30 club in Spain and guess what--they too are having our same issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 CX30 GT AWD Snowflake White
49 Posts
Thank you Susan--very much appreciated, really. I did publish a paper long ago about Software Updates for consumer electronics in the advent of the Digital era in TVs---I am now going through the same transition but in cars--and I do see and appreciate how SU will be a life saver for many of us, consumers and manufacturers as well. I think you all should check your software version under your Gracenotes option in your Car Settings--and if you do not see Version 02071--go ahead and update it yourself--it is quite easy. See instructions and download firmware here.

I read the Japan website and they (Mazda Japan) does place super high importance in talking with customers--but, they have a procedure in place--only one "window person" per country. I am trying to get to my window person in Mexico and guess what--his email address bounced back as NG--go figure. Also-please read attached PDF--specially page 34--about how Mazda Japan feels about customer feedback. They are just not getting our feedback--because the dealers are not really paying close attention to us. Just went through a similar CX-30 club in Spain and guess what--they too are having our same issues.
Hello OREA1....Looked at your PDF Brochure came upon their address of course with the translator.
The only way I think is to type letters to them and mail it physically.

PRESIDENT&CEO,
AKI MARUMOTO ( AT THIS TIME that I can see)
3-1 SCINCHI, FUCHU-CHO AKI-GUN,
HIROSHIMA JAPAN-730-8670

Attention: AKI MARUMOTO

Stress that Attn; bottom left of envelope and type and print and sigh letter I think so it is clear to the person translating.
If he were to get letters from around the world there would be strength in numbers.
I will do my part.
I hope the above address is being seen to all. Not sure...if you think it is not OERA1 Post for all to see
Thank You Susan

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Hello OREA1....Looked at your PDF Brochure came upon their address of course with the translator.
The only way I think is to type letters to them and mail it physically.

PRESIDENT&CEO,
AKI MARUMOTO ( AT THIS TIME that I can see)
3-1 SCINCHI, FUCHU-CHO AKI-GUN,
HIRODHIMA JAPAN-730-8670

Attention: AKI MARUMOTO

Stress that Attn; bottom left of envelope and type and print and sigh letter I think so it is clear to the person translating.
If he were to get letters from around the world there would be strength in numbers.
I will do my part.
I hope the above address is being seen to all. Not sure...if you think it is not OERA1 Post for all to see
Thank You Susan
Agree with you 100% Susan---I will do just that--thank you. John will help us making a log of all people (cars-VINs) involved--I will ask Spain--Europe--to start a similar log in Spanish for their side...now we are working together. Thank you all.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
574 Posts
Agree with you 100% Susan---I will do just that--thank you. John will help us making a log of all people (cars-VINs) involved--I will ask Spain--Europe--to start a similar log in Spanish for their side...now we are working together. Thank you all.
I've started a thread here if members want to record their issue on the forum:

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Preferred
31 Posts
Our Toyota Camray V6 had platinum spark plugs which indeed do last much longer than normal plugs.(part of the rearson was the awkward location of the 3 rear plugs, VERY difficult to reach them with ordinary tools Your vehicle may also have had those long lasting Platinum plugs..

·
Administrator
574 Posts
I read a comment by a member in the member log thread that I felt was important enough to be repeated here:
I've not followed the battery issues closely since software updates fixed my car (now the car wakes up only when a door handle is touched and not when the key fob came within 3 metres). As I understand the current situation only cars manufactured from around November 2020 have the low battery message and that this message is displayed when a timer reaches 30 minutes of "switched on and engine not running".
The timer logs from a door being opened to in effect the car shutting down after locking. The timer is only reset when the engine runs for more than 5 minutes or a specific fuse is pulled, charging the battery has no effect on the timer. Since the time is accumulated it is not necessarily the last "I just went to the car and opened the tailgate" action that triggers the alert.
There is a Mazda Germany service bulletin on this topic if any fluent German speakers can confirm the above Energy-saving mode for the 12V battery with a message to the driver when the charge level is low I think you have to join the forum to view the document. The document also appears to have starting VIN number/production date for Japan and Mexico factories but only references "European" markets and also has a warning to dealers about ensuring the timer is reset so that the warning doesn't pop up when a customer is being shown round their new car.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5 Turbo Premium, Polymetal Gray Metallic
9 Posts
Mazda recently updated the Service Alert, regarding this message where it says, among other things, that it is accumulated awake time without engine running, also if I'm understanding this correctly, this message is only notifying of a possible low battery, it might not actually be that low charge on it.

Anyway here's it the updated info:

Thank you for posting this. To me the most interesting part of this SA is the dealer showroom advisory to remove the fuse to avoid spooking potential buyers and experiencing this defect. A small and insignificant thing like that might be quite annoying.

But if you already bought the car, stop bothering us -- we are not going to fix it so no dealer visit is necessary :). Just keep starting the car few times a day for as long as you have it :)

Add this all to the Mazda pride and striving to impress with the brand.
My CX-30 is still a beautiful car but this is the first Mazda I ever had and the last one too.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Thank you Hawke--for sharing this Service Bulletin SA-005/21. This bulleting says the following--to me--and yes, I am paraphrasing and getting my two cents:

1) We (The dealer) KNOW about that warning.

2) We know you will see it---

3) We know what to do to avoid seeing it while vehicles in floor display.

So—why do they act up (make pretend) when we say anything about it?

4) I honestly think this is NOT acceptable. To me--I said it before-to my Dealer salesperson and the managers. I never had a car that I had to start the engine "just 5 minutes" so that I had to re-charge the car battery", if I need to finish cleaning my car. That is ridiculous.

5) The fact that some people had killed the battery while washing their cars—I am guessing, because I do not have the specific details, that they failed to see or hear this warning and or ignored it and did not start their engine. That lead us to the next question—I think John can help us here.

6) If we are cleaning/washing our car—and then this warning shows up and we do not start the engine—how long it will take to kill the battery?

Does anyone of you has another brand-new vehicle (with all of these bells and whistles)—any other brand—that you also need to do this? Are other brands doing the same thing?

After Susan gave us the Address for the main Mazda CEO in Japan—I am writing a letter to him—now I have this bulleting to refer to—and will ask him directly my questions. You are welcome to do the same—let’s go directly to the No 1, please. I do know Japanese CEOs do care about end-users. It is usually the middle management stopping issues from getting to them.

There are many other issues they are ignoring—and not addressing. And these issues are causing us to kill the battery unbeknownst to us—and this gives you a “surprise” the next day. And you have to deal with it—that is a pain in the neck we really do not need.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
79 Posts
4) I honestly think this is NOT acceptable. To me--I said it before-to my Dealer salesperson and the managers. I never had a car that I had to start the engine "just 5 minutes" so that I had to re-charge the car battery", if I need to finish cleaning my car. That is ridiculous.
If they were claiming you were actually recharging the battery, that would be ridiculous. That's not what the bulletin says however. It states that running the engine for five minutes or removing the fuse resets the timer that the BCM uses in order to judge the battery. It makes sense that this can be a problem in the dealership showroom with all of the times that the doors, liftgate would be opened/closed and the car not actually started say over a week or more.

5) The fact that some people had killed the battery while washing their cars—I am guessing, because I do not have the specific details, that they failed to see or hear this warning and or ignored it and did not start their engine. That lead us to the next question—I think John can help us here.

6) If we are cleaning/washing our car—and then this warning shows up and we do not start the engine—how long it will take to kill the battery?
The battery has a reserve capacity of approximately 50 amp/hours. That of course means you can pull fifty amps from the battery for one hour (If it was at a full state of charge and 100% state of health when you started) and there "should" still be enough energy left to start the engine. That also means 25 amps for two hours, 12.5 amps for four. and at the six amps that I showed flows when the car wakes up from touching the door handle, about eight hours total.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
If they were claiming you were actually recharging the battery, that would be ridiculous. That's not what the bulletin says however. It states that running the engine for five minutes or removing the fuse resets the timer that the BCM uses in order to judge the battery. It makes sense that this can be a problem in the dealership showroom with all of the times that the doors, liftgate would be opened/closed and the car not actually started say over a week or more.

The battery has a reserve capacity of approximately 50 amp/hours. That of course means you can pull fifty amps from the battery for one hour (If it was at a full state of charge and 100% state of health when you started) and there "should" still be enough energy left to start the engine. That also means 25 amps for two hours, 12.5 amps for four. and at the six amps that I showed flows when the car wakes up from touching the door handle, about eight hours total.
Wow--that is a lot of juice.

Then--we are still in the dark as to what is actually killing some people car batteries--sometimes. Like is the case of Marisela's car (from FB CX-30 owners) --when she remembers just one day--she left the windows down a little and then, next day car was dead. She immediately connected that action with killing the car's battery---and then, when reading about the Intrusion Sensor--that in it, it recommends we close the windows fully because maybe, this sensor could get activated with just wind, isn't that weird? So, in her case---was that sensor activated or get awaken to a point in which it kills her car battery?

·
Administrator
574 Posts
So, in her case---was that sensor activated or get awaken to a point in which it kills her car battery?
I'd have thought the alarm would have been triggered if the intrusion sensors had been activated. :unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
79 Posts
Wow--that is a lot of juice.

Then--we are still in the dark as to what is actually killing some people car batteries--sometimes.
Yes we are.

Like is the case of Marisela's car (from FB CX-30 owners) --when she remembers just one day--she left the windows down a little and then, next day car was dead. She immediately connected that action with killing the car's battery
Which leads me to one of my favorite little anecdotes. "I never noticed it before________" Where does that say that whatever the subject being referred to is in fact new? In most cases the person making the statement didn't have a reason to look or pay any attention to the subject. But then given a reason to and in a technicians case having done some repair now the owner actively looks for any other problems and the rest is easy to figure out.
---and then, when reading about the Intrusion Sensor--that in it, it recommends we close the windows fully because maybe, this sensor could get activated with just wind, isn't that weird? So, in her case---was that sensor activated or get awaken to a point in which it kills her car battery?
Read the rest about the intrusion sensor and what it does if it detects movement and see if that supports "M"s car.
(This is the online Mazda 3 manual with the same system. ) Mazda3 Owner's Manual Scroll down for the link on the intrusion sensor page

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5S Crystal Blue Mica
79 Posts
I bought my car fairly recently and the most annoying thing is the over-sensitive battery warning .... I would have thought by 2021 that all newer cars would have had the software update that is supposed
to make it less sensitive ...ie being able to have doors open while vacuuming car ...cleaning etc ... Why wouldnt they pur in a higher capacity battery if battery drain is that high ?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Hello Joe,

I am with you on this statement (About having a much higher capacity battery instead)--And wonder if we should do so in our own, anyway. Does anyone knows that to be harmful to our vehicles?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello Joe,

I am with you on this statement (About having a much higher capacity battery instead)--And wonder if we should do so in our own, anyway. Does anyone knows that to be harmful to our vehicles?
If you get higher amp hour battery (in the same battery dimensions) shouldnt harm vehicle at all ... The battery would however have a certain internal resistance and dont know how sensitive
battery sensor is to this and even if their computerized system would care what value of that resistance would be. I wonder how folks in bone chilling weather are able to start their car with
perhaps low value cold cranking amps and this low battery warning when battery is near frozen

·
Registered
79 Posts
The CX-30 comes with by spec only a measly 60 Amp-hour battery (lame) this equates roughly to 435 CCA cold cranking amps. Assuming a battery can go dead in 12 hours (by accounts on this forum)
car tends to have a draw of 60 amp-hours/12 hours = is a 5 amp constant draw or with 12 volts.. 60 watts. A higher capacity high-end "die hard" battery (advanced autoparts ) is 640 CCA cold cranking amps or 640/7.25 = 88 amp-hours would give you 88 a-h / 5 amps = 17.6 hours before going dead with system. If mazda has a 5 amp draw when the car if off then they have serious power management issues.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Is there a CCA recommendation for our car Joe? I am willing to give it a shot.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts