Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I get this nag chime whenever I'm in and out of the car for extended periods of time with the engine off. Never had trouble starting the engine afterwards. I'm not worried though I suppose I could pop the hood and check the battery voltage to be sure.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5 S PF AWD Red
50 Posts
I get this nag chime whenever I'm in and out of the car for extended periods of time with the engine off. Never had trouble starting the engine afterwards. I'm not worried though I suppose I could pop the hood and check the battery voltage to be sure.
I have checked my battery voltage. Running/charging at about 13.5. Just after turning off I usually see 12.6-12.7. Whether sitting an hour or a day. With or without alert, I get 12.4 most of the time. From my understanding, the alert has NOTHING to do with the battery actually being low. It's just seeing doors open activating the computer and telling you you MIGHT have run down the battery. It would be so much more useful if it just measured the battery and told you if it was low. From the posts I read, it seems they resolved some actual battery drain issues. The alert is definitely still an issue. mine did it again yesterday after i washed it

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
94 Posts
Summary Request : Is there an actual fix for the Low Battery Risk warning?

Thanks for everyone's time in trying to help all the owner's with this problem, but after reading several hundred posts I still have not come up with what the fix was? I've literally owned my 2021 CX-30 Turbo AWD for 3-DAYS and already have this battery warning issue.
There is no "fix" because it's not broken.

Several posts stated "I no longer have this problem..." What was the fix, or what do you suspect you did that stopped this annoyance? NavyDale
The most likely thing that anyone has done is simply use the car more and/or not leave it sit with the ignition on. Just about every vehicle you can buy today has advanced power supply strategies that can result in these kinds of warnings depending on the batteries state of health and state of charge.

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
677 Posts
@NavyDale - There have been a spate of people who have had this problem - but over the past few weeks this seems to be tailing off, so I think it's as @JohnG says. People are using their cars more and, perhaps, more carefully and don't seem to be suffering as much.

As the car is so new to you, it's possible it has been sat on the lot, not being used, so I expect the car could benefit from some longer drives to fully charge the battery and get everything moving properly again. Try some longer drives (in excess of 50 miles) to see if this helps reduce the frequency of the low battery issues.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mazda CX-30 AWD Turbo Premiun, Soul Red
72 Posts
I drive my CX-30 45 miles to work and 45 miles home, twice a week.

If I park it and do not open anything for 4 or 5 days, I never get the low battery warning.

If I do clean her or open the rear hatch a few times, I always get the low battery warning.

It has never failed to start but I do carry a battery jump box, just in case.

I agree it is way too sensitive and is very annoying but have learned to live with it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I drive my CX-30 45 miles to work and 45 miles home, twice a week.

If I park it and do not open anything for 4 or 5 days, I never get the low battery warning.

If I do clean her or open the rear hatch a few times, I always get the low battery warning.

It has never failed to start but I do carry a battery jump box, just in case.

I agree it is way too sensitive and is very annoying but have learned to live with it.
I have had the car a month now. Driven almost 1000 miles. My daily trip to work is 17miles -about 30 minutes. No, I don't get the alert between normal daily driving, but it has happened multiple times now. This is my first new car in a long time. I understand the need for more battery awareness, but I don't believe other cars give an alert for washing your car or leaving the liftgate open just long enough to load for a trip. It has started every time, but I may get a boost pack for insurance. I park outside, so a battery tender is not practical. (and I really don't think it's going low anyway-just too much open door time and needs reset) I have no intention of taking 50mile rides to nowhere, wasting time and fuel just to charge my battery. I just wish they would reprogram it to actually read if the battery is low.
I completed a survey last night that they emailed me. Gave my 'constructive criticism' on the matter...

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium AWD
14 Posts
I have had the car a month now. Driven almost 1000 miles. My daily trip to work is 17miles -about 30 minutes. No, I don't get the alert between normal daily driving, but it has happened multiple times now. This is my first new car in a long time. I understand the need for more battery awareness, but I don't believe other cars give an alert for washing your car or leaving the liftgate open just long enough to load for a trip. It has started every time, but I may get a boost pack for insurance. I park outside, so a battery tender is not practical. (and I really don't think it's going low anyway-just too much open door time and needs reset) I have no intention of taking 50mile rides to nowhere, wasting time and fuel just to charge my battery. I just wish they would reprogram it to actually read if the battery is low.
I completed a survey last night that they emailed me. Gave my 'constructive criticism' on the matter...
Great replies ... Thanks! Update: I charged my battery for 24 hours on a Tender and still had the warning on Sunday morning (Tender says charged). Left the charger connected for another 24 hours and this morning still had the alarm. Disconnected the tender and took a short 13 mile drive "to nowhere" (LOL) and put the car back in the garage. Locked it, took the fob 200+ feet away. Checked several times today by opening the driver's door and the hatchback. No warning since driving it.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and I will continue to drive and monitor. I'm still going to reach out to the dealer and like KAB will comment on it when I receive my Mazda survey. Thanks again! I love how this car drives and handles. Like KAB commented, this is my first new vehicle in quite awhile AND my first car with technology (I've always been a truck owner). NavyDale

·
Registered
94 Posts
When you charged the battery, did you connect directly to the battery? Or, did you have the negative cable connected to the engine or the jump start terminal?

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you charged the battery, did you connect directly to the battery? Or, did you have the negative cable connected to the engine or the jump start terminal?
One day one I had the negative clip attached to the jump start terminal (as per owner's manual section 7). On day two, I connected the Battery Tender directly to the negative terminal of the battery.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I charged my battery for 24 hours on a Tender and still had the warning on Sunday morning (Tender says charged). Left the charger connected for another 24 hours and this morning still had the alarm. Disconnected the tender and took a short 13 mile drive "to nowhere" (LOL) and put the car back in the garage. Locked it, took the fob 200+ feet away. Checked several times today by opening the driver's door and the hatchback. No warning since driving it.
And that make sense according to the service alert statement. Because it isn’t looking at the battery- no amount of charging will clear it. Needs 5 minutes running.

·
Registered
94 Posts
One day one I had the negative clip attached to the jump start terminal (as per owner's manual section 7). On day two, I connected the Battery Tender directly to the negative terminal of the battery.
The reason that I asked is there is a battery current sensor that is always measuring how much current is entering or leaving the battery. This helps the body computer calculate the batteries SOC (state of charge) and it's SOH (state of health). When the charger is connected directly to the battery the body computer cannot measure how much power is flowing into the battery so it forces the system to have to do an engine off test that takes get four to six hours to complete. The main thing right now is it sounds like the battery should be getting close to full charge and that should make it less likely to cause the warning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
KAB and JohnG, Excellent points. I didn't even consider the computers/sensors looking for current and not just total capacity (full charge). I'm confident I have a good charge, and hope you are correct that I won't get a repeat. I'm intentionally keeping the battery tender disconnected to see if the problem returns. I do not drive my vehicles everyday, but do charge them if they are going to be sitting for awhile. Thanks again.

·
Registered
94 Posts
And that make sense according to the service alert statement. Because it isn’t looking at the battery- no amount of charging will clear it. Needs 5 minutes running.
Chrysler's system also gives us another piece of data to deal with, SOF ( state of function). That is the lowest voltage seen by the engine control module when the starter first engages. In the first .003-.005 seconds of engagement the current flow is usually 600-800 amps and that pulls the battery voltage down relative to the battery's true health. Even though we don't see that data pid with the Mazda system, they are very likely to also be capturing that information on start-up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Chrysler's system also gives us another piece of data to deal with, SOF ( state of function). That is the lowest voltage seen by the engine control module when the starter first engages. In the first .003-.005 seconds of engagement the current flow is usually 600-800 amps and that pulls the battery voltage down relative to the battery's true health. Even though we don't see that data pid with the Mazda system, they are very likely to also be capturing that information on start-up.
I don't now the specific parameters Mazda checks, but I assumed they are monitoring stuff like this. Aside from the alert being annoying, it is disappointing that they base it on door openings when it could be looking at actual battery strength. As I mentioned previously, I measured 12.4v 'resting' voltage on mine. While that is plenty to start it, I'd expect that to be closer to 12.6 on a new battery. I will check it again soon. Maybe I'll run a charger on it and see if it holds a higher level. I measured the same 12.4v after tripping the alert by opening doors.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't now the specific parameters Mazda checks, but I assumed they are monitoring stuff like this. Aside from the alert being annoying, it is disappointing that they base it on door openings when it could be looking at actual battery strength. As I mentioned previously, I measured 12.4v 'resting' voltage on mine. While that is plenty to start it, I'd expect that to be closer to 12.6 on a new battery. I will check it again soon. Maybe I'll run a charger on it and see if it holds a higher level. I measured the same 12.4v after tripping the alert by opening doors.
They don't want the battery at 100% state of charge. At that level it cannot absorb voltage spikes easily. 12.4-12.5 would be the normal range to keep the battery at. There is so much more to power management systems than just about everyone realizes. The updated training classes for professional technicians who are already very knowledgeable about vehicle charging systems is 24 hours in length. That BTW is just the 12v systems, non start/stop. By the time we start talking start/ stop and add in 48v and hybrids it's a staggering amount of information to have to study.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They don't want the battery at 100% state of charge. At that level it cannot absorb voltage spikes easily. 12.4-12.5 would be the normal range to keep the battery at. There is so much more to power management systems than just about everyone realizes. The updated training classes for professional technicians who are already very knowledgeable about vehicle charging systems is 24 hours in length. That BTW is just the 12v systems, non start/stop. By the time we start talking start/ stop and add in 48v and hybrids it's a staggering amount of information to have to study.
Hmmm, well thanks - guess I won't be charging it then...lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update from NavyDale: Took my car to the dealer and they were able to verify by VIN number all software updates are current. Since reading the threads on this post, I ensure the car is in Auto-Lock mode and I keep the key fob well away from the car. When I described the warning to the service writer, his first question was "where was the key fob?" So it appears after a couple days of no more warnings, the battery is charged and the sensors are reset. Hoping it stays that way, even after a good car wash. LOL Appreciate everyone's comments! Love this CX-30!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good News! I got through a thorough car wash without an alert yesterday. I did not vacuum, or do anything interior. But this did include wiping down all door jambs. So they were opened for a while. The one big difference was I laid the key fob down in the garage 20+ feet away. I know when I washed it before and had fob in pocket, the car beeped several times when near/touching doors. Figuring I probably had pretty much used the half hour 'awake' time before I ever opened a door...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was just out putting a seat cover on. Before doing so I was checking some stuff under the hood. So, I was probably at it over the critical 30min. Alert, alert, alert. LOL Yes I had the fob in pocket and offended the battery gods. I get that it's just the way it is, and I say it's ridiculous. Guess I will keep hoping for an update to change it. 😒

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was just out putting a seat cover on. Before doing so I was checking some stuff under the hood. So, I was probably at it over the critical 30min. Alert, alert, alert. LOL Yes I had the fob in pocket and offended the battery gods. I get that it's just the way it is, and I say it's ridiculous. Guess I will keep hoping for an update to change it. 😒
If this is the biggest issue we have to deal with, life's good!! Loving this machine! Put in the Mazda floor mats and cargo liner. Mazda Splash Guards (mud flaps) are next. What seat covers did you go with? I'm going to start with seat cover on the back seats to protect them from "stuff" I throw back there. Won't have passengers, so it's just convenient storage.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts