Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2020 / AWD / Base
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. First Mazda here. I notice on our 30s and some other models that the lower grill is only a few vertical strips to protect the condenser (I believe. Didn't look that closely to see if it is the radiator).

On line, I find one lower grill insert that may or may not fit. And no clue how it attaches. Nothing else. It looks like it mirrors the main grill

Am I missing other options? Anyone else find a good option to add a little more protection?

·
Registered
2020 / AWD / Base
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pic. So that's a pretty big gap in the middle eh?

Your install looks great.
With the zip ties and tape, I imagine you don't hear any rattles.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda Cx30 GT AWD
36 Posts
Prep and cleaning is key.

Nope. I do 200 km per day without issues. You can buy various sizes mesh to make it work.
The aliexpress version supposed to be use with front license plate mount.
I don't have front plate so I used the mesh method.
I would recommend to use painter tape on the black bumper trim and area. Just to prevent scratches when installing the mesh.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts

Click on the 2020 CX30 Accessories link above. My CX30 with the lower inserts. I bought the grills through Amazon. I used small black zip ties for now, although they came with double sided tape preinstalled.

·
Registered
2020 / AWD / Base
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I do have a US front license plate. Certainly does not look as wide as the one in the product photo. But when measured, it looks as those are the right length - 310mm about 12.2 inches. And the reviews sound like they fit.

Ordered off the link above. Thanks again.

Will post back to verify.

·
Registered
2020 / AWD / Base
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They came in. The 310mm version is the perfect size for US (and others, I am sure) license plate size.

The Amazon link I used shows the grill inserts measuring 310mm each.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all. First Mazda here. I notice on our 30s and some other models that the lower grill is only a few vertical strips to protect the condenser (I believe. Didn't look that closely to see if it is the radiator).

On line, I find one lower grill insert that may or may not fit. And no clue how it attaches. Nothing else. It looks like it mirrors the main grill

Am I missing other options? Anyone else find a good option to add a little more protection?
Same here. I found a matching set on Amazon to fill the space. Won't know how they attach till I get them. I'll post pics once I install them.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mazda CX-30 AWD Turbo Premiun, Soul Red
114 Posts
Avid-G
Do you have a link to what you ordered and are you saying they fill the entire void.
I do not have a front plate and would like to install a set that fills the full void.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Avid-G
Do you have a link to what you ordered and are you saying they fill the entire void.
I do not have a front plate and would like to install a set that fills the full void.

·
Premium Member
2021 Mazda CX-30 AWD Turbo Premiun, Soul Red
114 Posts
Thanks for the link but that piece needs a front license plate. There is a gap between the two pieces when installed.

I need a grill insert that covers the full opening.

·
Registered
2020 / AWD / Base
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We had some good weather, so I cleaned it up well, and attached the grill inserts using only the tape that was on them. Drove the car for 2 or 3 days before I got to a place to buy black zip ties.

The regular tape that came on them worked well. Still added two zip ties per side for safe keeping... Really completes the look of the front to my eye. And, certainly an extra layer of protection.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
217 Posts
Looks great, now if they would just make one that fills the full opening for those of us that do not have a front tag!
Might be an imperfect solution, but you might be able to order two sets and the carefully trim the outer parts off the second set to match up across where the plate sits.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I get that the inserts look better.

What I don't get is that the inserts could offer any radiator or whatever protection. First, I'm having a hard time imagining anything with enough force to functionally damage the radiator getting back to it directly or after hitting off some other structure. The object would have to enter the lower opening almost directly/horizontally to not be deflected away before entering. So how does a substantial object travel near-horizontally vs. at a substantial angle? I have to think Mazda designers/engineers took those possibilities into account & concluded they're near zero.

Second, if the object's force is going to damage the radiator, how are plastic inserts going to substantially change the impact force?

1 - 20 of 122 Posts