Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,454 Posts
just saw a report on the news, be careful modifying your vehicle from the original, as it might effect whether you get insurance coverage. Check the fine print in your insurance documents, you may have to contact them to see if it's approved.

Reactions: Txstar

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
109 Posts
I ended up canceling the order (actually they had to custom order which would take a month +). Figured I'll talk to my local race shop about alignment and specifically about the scrub radius (rolling force) mentioned by @JohnG (thanks for that! :) ). I'm not worried about insurance but I am worried about possible instability.

·
Registered
2021 Turbo
47 Posts
Hi, is it possible to just lower the back springs? Or must one do all four? I'm a rookie at this sort of thing.
My thought exactly. Unloaded, the wheel/fender gap is noticeably higher at the rear, and in my case this car will never be loaded up with passengers and gear, so I'd want to lower the rear just to level it out rather than lower it both front and rear. I've done this in the past with pickups that had a ridiculously high rake for payload.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium Hatch polymetal gray over red/blk
273 Posts
It will result in more caster angle at front though I doubt enough to matter much if you only lower the back an inch or so. My bet is you can get away with it fine if you do not carry heavy loads or pull a high tongue weight trailer.

·
Registered
2021 Turbo
47 Posts
It will result in more caster angle at front though I doubt enough to matter much if you only lower the back an inch or so. My bet is you can get away with it fine if you do not carry heavy loads or pull a high tongue weight trailer.
Thanks - that's all it needs really, an inch. This is the wife's daily driver, and her previous car, (CX 3) didn't ever have a backseat passenger for the three years we owned it, and hauled nothing heavier than groceries once a week so it'll be the same for the new ride. Looks like I'll be buying a full set of springs and using only the rears. The rake bothers me that much.

·
Registered
2021 Polymetal CX-30 AWD 2.5L Turbo Premium+
85 Posts
I'm not interested in lowering but along the line of suspension mods, has anyone found gas pressure shocks for the CX30 yet? I thought sure that KYB would have them by now being a Japanese company. I've had either Boge or Bilstein gas shocks on almost every one of my cars since the 1970s and I crave them! I did contact Bilstein soon after my purchase in January and they said CX30 specific shocks were in their development pipeline we we'll have to wait.

·
Registered
2021 Polymetal CX-30 AWD 2.5L Turbo Premium+
85 Posts
Will you do the install? Post pics when you have them installed.
My wife & I pick up our CX30 this evening, lowering springs are something I am considering.
I've done more than a few shock & strut replacements over the years, I'm an old fart. The rears are always easy, just some socket wrench handling. The fronts, however, require a strut spring compression tool most people don't have, you'll have to rent one if you decide to tackle it yourself. I've always done the rears myself and paid someone to install the fronts. There could be some front alignment issues a professional should deal with.

·
Registered
2021 Turbo
47 Posts
Got the H&R Lowering Springs installed last month and finally getting around to updating this thread. I think it looks “normal” now. Handling was already amazing before the springs but corners much better with no body lean post install.

Honestly though, I didnt get the springs for the handling, just to fix the awkward lifted look which I wasnt a fan of.

Before
View attachment 1075

After

View attachment 1076
Thank you for these two pics. I've just ordered 19" rims and tires, and seeing the bigger diameter wheels and thinner sidewall tires on your car makes the fender/tire gap even more objectionable when switching to thinner rubber. I'll be going lower. I'm guessing your on 20's?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone lower there cx30 and experiencing rubbing noises from front when turning? usually in reverse when wheel turned most of the way in either direction. does also happen when making normal turns at about 75% turned. thanks in advance for any help on how to fix.

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
206 Posts
Thanks - that's all it needs really, an inch. This is the wife's daily driver, and her previous car, (CX 3) didn't ever have a backseat passenger for the three years we owned it, and hauled nothing heavier than groceries once a week so it'll be the same for the new ride. Looks like I'll be buying a full set of springs and using only the rears. The rake bothers me that much.
Curious if you ended up going through with lowering just the rears.... if so, how did it turn out? Anything noticeably different with handling intestate turns? Do you have any photos?

I measured the height difference from front to rear and my measurements came to less than an inch difference, even though it appears to be much more. With the 1.3" lowering springs, my concern would be the rear ending up lower the front. 🤔

·
Registered
9 Posts
41 - 57 of 57 Posts