Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium FWD in Machine Gray Metallic
56 Posts
Handsome. Same circumfrence so no height increase . . . would it hold a tire with greater height?

Don't suppose you have a before photo? Thanks . . congrats!

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 Deep Crystal Blue Mica - Premium
83 Posts
Looks good! 👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Handsome. Same circumfrence so no height increase . . . would it hold a tire with greater height?

Don't suppose you have a before photo? Thanks . . congrats!
Thanks! - sure thing - here are some before pics with stock wheels and tyres.
Yep, same circumference so no height increase . I did consider 245/45r19s which would give an extra half inch on the height. Not sure if they would fit though - as the inner sidewalls are quite close to the suspension struts, and there might be rubbing on the front wheel wells when steering at full lock.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium Hatch polymetal gray over red/blk
226 Posts
Thanks! - sure thing - here are some before pics with stock wheels and tyres.
Yep, same circumference so no height increase . I did consider 245/45r19s which would give an extra half inch on the height. Not sure if they would fit though - as the inner sidewalls are quite close to the suspension struts, and there might be rubbing on the front wheel wells when steering at full lock.
Looks great. How does it affect ride and handling?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Yeah the handling feels slightly better, and the noise levels are better than with the stock tyres (one of my criteria when choosing the Eagle F1s, as they're quite a quiet tyre). They're also quite comfortable, just a little less ride comfort considering there's less tyre-wall. And gas mileage is no different. So generally good all round. Very happy.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 Premium AWD Polymetal Grey
13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
That does look good!

I don't know if it's just me, but for whatever reason the stock wheels and tires look too small for the CX-30. Maybe it's just the cladding, or the big gaps between the fenders, or perhaps it's a combination of a few things, but the 19" rims definitely help.

In theory the stock 18" inch rims will work with taller tires too (215/60/18, or maybe even 215/65/18). 215/60/18 = 28.2" diameter, 215/65 /18 = 29.0". This is a person who has 235/60/18, which is 29.1" diameter, and it fits but he gets a very slight rub on steering lock...but also has a wider tire. There may not actually be any rub on steering lock with the narrower 215/65/18 despite it being 29.0" in diameter!

All that said, I'm betting a 215/55/19 (28.3" diameter) would look awesome! It would have the added benefit of both the larger rims AND taller tires -- all without any rub. Hell, 225/55/19 would be even better (28.7" diameter, smaller and narrower than the guy with 29s).

Tire Size Comparison

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
186 Posts
That does look good!

I don't know if it's just me, but for whatever reason the stock wheels and tires look too small for the CX-30. Maybe it's just the cladding, or the big gaps between the fenders, or perhaps it's a combination of a few things, but the 19" rims definitely help.

In theory the stock 18" inch rims will work with taller tires too (215/60/18, or maybe even 215/65/18). 215/60/18 = 28.2" diameter, 215/65 /18 = 29.0". This is a person who has 235/60/18, which is 29.1" diameter, and it fits but he gets a very slight rub on steering lock...but also has a wider tire. There may not actually be any rub on steering lock with the narrower 215/65/18 despite it being 29.0" in diameter!

All that said, I'm betting a 215/55/19 (28.3" diameter) would look awesome! It would have the added benefit of both the larger rims AND taller tires -- all without any rub. Hell, 225/55/19 would be even better (28.7" diameter, smaller and narrower than the guy with 29s).

Tire Size Comparison
Keep in mind that his CX-30 is a European model and sits lower in stock form than the ones in North America (I think the Euro stance is much nicer than the jacked up NA stance). There are aftermarket lowering springs, but they appear designed to lower based on stock European height and as a result, lower it more than I'd like. What I need are OEM European spec springs that are designed for the 2.5 gas engine. Anyway, here's what those same wheels look like on a NA version:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ah, I had no idea suspension height varied between international variants, good to know! For me, I actually do want that extra height...I just don't want it to look funky as a result 🤣

I believe the NA variant has an 8" ground clearance, and with the right tires/wheels, could be increased to 9" - 9.5" and look more proportional to the rest of the car. For context, that's on par or better than the Subaru Outback and Forester (including the new Wilderness editions), Subaru Crosstrek, RAV4, Jeep Cherokee, Toyota 4Runner and Land Cruiser.

For whatever reason, I keep seeing car reviewers saying that the CX-30 won't actually be used for off-roading or over-landing by consumers, to which I say that they clearly do not live in Colorado!

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus in Snowflake White Pearl
38 Posts
Hope to change the "CX-30 for off-roading? Nah!" mentality by doing it myself. Just posted a YouTube video of dashcam footage of my most recent trek. Clearly, they don't live in Utah, either!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts