Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
432 Posts
Seems a little .. higher than it should be? Hmm. Not sure on the look.

Any more information at all @Kijk ?

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 Deep Crystal Blue Mica - Premium
310 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems a little .. higher than it should be? Hmm. Not sure on the look.

Any more information at all @Kijk ?
No more information, just stumbled upon the pictures somewhere online. They seem pretty official, that's why I shared.

·
Administrator
432 Posts
Reactions: Tommieremix

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mazda EV direction is troubling. First the expensive, short range, underpowered cork lined MX 30 and now this silly thing. Better no effort at all than such an embarrassing one. They are going to need help from outside. I think they jacked it up to get some batteries under it and that left it without useful ground clearance.
Ugly half- assed electrification of a car designed for gas.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How do you charge this or any EV overnight if you live in an apartment complex with a mega surface parking lot?

·
Administrator
432 Posts
How do you charge this or any EV overnight if you live in an apartment complex with a mega surface parking lot?
That's going to be a Global issue before long - until there's infrastructure to support street charging like there is an infrastructure that supports fossil fuel distribution...

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 Soul Red Select AWD
133 Posts
I will purchase this cx30 electric if it has duel motors and a 300 mile range. Really happy we are getting a real Mazda electric instead of that stupid MX-30 with a short range and 2 doors.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ground effects should be great for the track with 141 hp to whisk you around.
Gotta be some kind of record for the ratio of what is above the base of the window vs what's below.

They are 20 days late introducing this.

·
Registered
SE-L Lux SkyActiv G
51 Posts
I'll only consider an electric car when I can get a usable 400 mile range in bad weather for c. £20-25k.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
99 Posts
It's not about the range per se but rather the charging times. Once it is close to about 10 min to get to 80% then the EVs will be a viable option. Otherwise you only drive in a city or have to calculate how many more hours you would need for a long distance trip to charge. Or have a second car. The novelty wears out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
SE-L Lux SkyActiv G
51 Posts
It's not about the range per se but rather the charging times. Once it is close to about 10 min to get to 80% then the EVs will be a viable option. Otherwise you only drive in a city or have to calculate how many more hours you would need for a long distance trip to charge. Or have a second car. The novelty wears out pretty quickly.
That's fine provided fast 10 minute chargers are widely available, accessible when you need them and affordable

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 2.5L AWD Pearl White
45 Posts
I won't be buying step bars anytime soon. Yuck
Neither would I. One of the first things I look at is what it takes to put the car on a hoist for service. Things like that often get in the way of doing it easily and potentially could make a vehicle less safe when it is on the hoist.

·
Registered
2020, CX-30 Sports Tech SkyActiv-X - Machine Grey
126 Posts
Ah, no.

Nope not a fan of that design either and steps? No, just no. Apparently the interior is a darker MX30 Cork and all as well.

See, I know weight is an issue with EVs and so is finding room for the battery (structural battery design & solid state may resolve that in the next few years) but my big gripe isn't range (although <100 miles real world in a wet damp cold climate like the UK for £37,000+ is not going to fly to replace a normal family car) no, its the positioning and the interior.

With the exception of the uber fast ones (more of that in a mo) EVs all drive in a similar way, no gears, no torque curve, simple. Not engaging, fast acceleration (mostly) but little passion or involvement. But that's ok it'll come.

My issue is market segmentation and buying audience, we have the £45,000 up ranges and we have models like the MX30 or VW id3/4 with "new design" touch everything (VWs mess of an OS infotainment system and capacitance touch everything is a whole separate issue) and - this is my issue - ECO appeal. No luxury interior, comfort trim and design from ~10 years ago and selling on recycling and eco terms.

I'm no enemy of the idea and my next car in ~2024 will be electric, government ban on ICE or no - it was only Covid stopping me having a driveway rebuild and the necessary electrical point installation that stopped me this time (would have been a Tesla most likely) but I want something like my CX30 or a Mazda 3 Turbo with an instrument binnacle and fair to very nice interior. I don't want it to look like a reject star trek shuttle pod or have brittle or nasty plastics just because they've been recycled. "Faux" Leather, fine. 1994 Renault Laguna seats and door panels are not.

My issue is that we need more variety back in the market, in the race to innovate more all the firms seem to be copying each other and delivering the same touch screen, "frog eye" binnacle and ECO credentials for their "mainstream" models - I'm ruling out Jaguar, Polestar and Tesla here, they've gone a more hybrid interior look barring Tesla's 3 and its all iPad controls. I understand it on its marketing to the Green oriented buyer of course and on the ease of dash reuse for left / right hand markets but EVs now need to entice the mainstream market as well (or they will if new car sales don't want to fall off a cliff in 9 years). It's so depressing to look at the choice in the ~£30k UK ICE market and realise there's literally nothing to compete with the trim levels at a similar bracket in EVs, yes those costs will come down a little but given the issues in ramping up manufacturing which wont be easily overcome due to materials required I don't see we'll have anything like the trim or model choices come 2030.

The MX30 and CX30-E here (which is clearly a sibling) are not the answer, not even the start of the answer, they are products to say to those already on an ECO trajectory that there is a Mazda offering. A second car isn't something that costs £37,000 (its something that costs £12,000 or normally under £10,000 as a run around) yet that's how Mazda is positioning it. Maybe with a range extender it could work but then who will buy it, EV purists / those who want EV won't and Im guessing if it even makes the UK the price wont be much under £40k, may as well get a Tesla model 3 and be done.

In 2023 when I start looking I really want to have a choice but as it stands it will be the end for me and Mazda if they don't bring something that looks and feels more like a cross between a CX30 or Mazda 3 and a Polestar 2/Jaguar i-Pace/Tesla rather than a 2CV and a beach buggy.

I don't like or buy quirky "fun" design cars, they always get old... fast, and the designs are only humorous for the designer. I've seen the ID3 the inside is absolutely awful with some nice design cues such as the lighting but god-awful dash design, accident waiting to happen controls, an infotainment that seems buggy being polite and a cabin that feels more 90s Laguna than 2000 Golf GTI.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts