Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GT
37 Posts
hmm OK then what are suggestions people? This is my first car while in Canada and before i never thought of this issue. Any known ways to mitigate the risk, esp when travelling?

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 SkyactivX GT Plus FWD AT - Polymetal Grey
40 Posts
You can put the key to sleep which disables hands-free operations.

·
Registered
Mazda Cx30 Skyactiv X GT Sport tech fwd 6mt polymetal grey
12 Posts
Put the keys in a Faraday pouch. Stops the signal being picked up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought 2 Faraday pouches from Scorpeon. I put the spare key to sleep in a pouch and put my main key in the other as soon as the car is locked. The car doesn't pick up the signal even if I touch the door handle. I used to have trouble with my alarm going off and the battery going flat. Touch wood, no problems since buying the Faraday bags.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
382 Posts
...also don't leave your keys near the front door when you vehicle is parked in a short driveway
....make use of your garage for your vehicle instead of having it filled full of junk that you can't get your vehicle into it :D

Reactions: imnamak

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GT
37 Posts
So as I understand from the methodology of this exploit, you just need not to keep car outside and keys near to outside. The effective working distance of the fob i would assume is pretty short so if its not right near your front door there should be no chance to pick up its signal.

·
Registered
2020, CX-30 Sports Tech SkyActiv-X - Machine Grey
122 Posts
I agree, cant use my garage as its too narrow as with many designed for hillman imps in the 50s :p

But keys are always kept upstairs out of the way at night, will be in a metal keys box at night shortly with spare key turned off as I did with the cx5

·
Registered
2020 Premium, AWD; Soul Red Crystal
43 Posts
Another problem is, thieves cruising shopping parking lots -- a real treasure trove for scanners!

·
Registered
122 Posts
yes planning on a pouch for that, havent found one as yet in the UK that fits and I like

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought 2 pouches and 2 credit card blockers from Scorpeon on line. Excellent. I keep my disabled spare key in one in the house and I carry my other key in the other pouch when I leave the car. My mazda does not pick up the signal unless I take the key out. I found my car picked up the signal from quite a distance.

·
Registered
CX30 GT SPORT. A Road cyclists who drives a CX30 on the odd occasion...
339 Posts
I don't know what the max range is for the manual remote open.. but mine worked today from about 50m.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GT
37 Posts
OK, if smb can capture your short-range signal then they can also capture your long range signal, then what is the benefit of disabling short-range? The only situation is if you leave it near the door then smb at night captures your signal, otherwiase if you use long-range in mall parking they will still capture it as you press the button, or am I wrong?
Another aspect is if you carry it in a safe pouch then you need to pick it out every time you come, go or in the car while driving then whats the point of that hands free if you take it in and out every time - its not hands free then.
Though I understand we all worry about our beautiful cars!

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GT-AWD, Soul Red
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don’t think there is a way for a person to prevent thefts 100%. The only way to get 100% security is if car companies like Mazda add encryption or extra measures to their key fobs.

As long as you know the key fob is your car’s weakest link, do your best to keep the fobs guarded at home and be aware of your surroundings whenever you use them. I don’t think a car owner can be expected to do much more than that.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 SkyactivX GT Plus FWD AT - Polymetal Grey
40 Posts
OK, if smb can capture your short-range signal then they can also capture your long range signal, then what is the benefit of disabling short-range? The only situation is if you leave it near the door then smb at night captures your signal, otherwiase if you use long-range in mall parking they will still capture it as you press the button, or am I wrong?
Long range is broadcast only when you press a button on the key fob, short range is broadcast at regular time intervals without you doing any button press.
When the keys are at home near the door, all a thief needs to do is to relay the signal to the car, and the car will open, start and be driveable until engine is switched off.

Long range can be jammed so you think you locked the car but the car will actually remain unlocked. The car can then be towed or hot wired to start, or if you have a BMW you can start it with a dedicated diagnostic tool.

Having the key in a Faraday cage or pouch at home, with the spare key put to sleep is the best option.

·
Registered
122 Posts
*Im not a lawyer or an insurance expert

But

Some insurers will complain if theres a keyless issue theft but if your policy states the car has the standard alarm and immobiliser and you followed manufacturer instructions they really dont have much of a case except to not insure you in the first place or contact you and nullify the cover when they learn of shortcomings.

If you have a valid policy then yes they should pay assuming you have theft cover (e.g. not just third party cover or cover via a comprehensive policy but the car that gets stolen isnt yours or some other circumstance)

If youre covered youre on the hook for your agreed excess and they should pay out - NB they will pay the current value of the car in most cases, hence why gap insurance exists.

Thats in the UK, in other countries I dont know. Once again Im not an expert so if in doubt contact your insurer. :)
Ed

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Select FWD, Deep Blue
1 Posts
I am putting my key fobs in tin Altoids boxes which I believe acts like a Faraday cage, blocking signals

·
Registered
AWD GT CX-30 ceramic coated
336 Posts
My dealer installed somesort of police tracking thing where on all the vehicle panels etc have a engraved serial number with anti theft warning stickers on the passenger and drivers side.. lol im not sure how effective it might be but it might scare someone away from trying to steal it .. i rent the upstaris out of my house so i live in the basement appartment unit which is concreate with drywal so that should block the key fob anyhow

1 - 20 of 24 Posts