Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are we about to loose our title for having the fastest mainstream subcompact crossover (0-60 in 5.8 seconds) ?

In my limited research we are the champs, but it looks like a new contender is on the horizon.

With premium fuel our CX-30 turbo comes in at 250HP 2.5L with 320 lb-ft of torque.

The new 2022 Hyundai Kona N comes in with 276-hp 2.0L turbocharged GDI 4-cylinder engine and 289 lb-ft of torque.

Not sure if that will overtake us or not but I'm thinking its pretty close....

Any thoughts?

Key1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are we about to loose our title for having the fastest mainstream subcompact crossover (0-60 in 5.8 seconds) ?

In my limited research we are the champs, but it looks like a new contender is on the horizon.

With premium fuel our CX-30 turbo comes in at 250HP 2.5L with 320 lb-ft of torque.

The new 2022 Hyundai Kona N comes in with 276-hp 2.0L turbocharged GDI 4-cylinder engine and 289 lb-ft of torque.

Any thoughts?

Key1
i don't think the new N is 2.0 L .at least i couldn't find it anywhere.
the new one is 1.6 L 195hp.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't think the new N is 2.0 L .at least i couldn't find it anywhere.
the new one is 1.6 L 195hp.
Check this link... It has to be the new Kona N which is different than the N-Line

Key1

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
220 Posts
The official 0-60 is 5.1s, which is lower than the CX-30 turbo's 5.8. Apparently it's really stiff too so it'll probably handle better on the track (why people would take a CUV to take on the track is beyond me, especially since Hyundai also sells the Elantra N).

Perhaps in a realisitic situation the fact that it lacks AWD will bring it down a bit.

·
Registered
2022 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium Soul Red
53 Posts
The Kona N is slightly lighter (the CX-30 Turbo is around 3,470 pounds while the Kona N is around 3350). The extra horsepower and the DCT make up for a lot on the Kona N. It doesn't have AWD but it does have a real limited slip diff. It also has fatter, stickier tires on its 19 inch wheels. It also has a track-oriented susension. It'll beat the CX-30 in the curves AND the straights.

There's also reports that the engine in the Kona N and Elantra N are both underrated in the specs and make more horsepower/torque at the wheels.

But you'll face $5K+ markups and a terrible dealer experience. It's also even less practical than the CX-30 (somehow), with worse back seats and cargo area.

I do applaud Hyundai for actually making the Kona N legitimately track ready. It's not as good as the Elantra N but it's probably the closest thing on the market today to the old 2010-2013 Mazdaspeed 3.

·
Registered
21 cx30 premium awd
299 Posts

Any thoughts?

Key1
There is more than 0-60 times to jusge a vehicle worthy...i have, of course , not driven the kona n, but if other kona models are anything to go by the cx30 , besting the kona or not, will be a more relaxed, serene ride with a far higher quality interior. Imo, i take that any day over a second faster to sixty time

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the statement below on the Hyundai website. Looks like the official 0-60 is 5.5 seconds and that's only when the boost button is pressed (which boost the engine by 6HP for a few seconds)....

Equipped with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine making a 280-hp (boostable to 286 briefly via a button on the steering wheel) mated to a high-performance eight-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission with rev-matching function, the Kona N ...is a riot to drive. Front-wheel drive will be the only configuration, presumably to keep weight down — the hot hatch crossover weighs in at just about 3,300 pounds, and Hyundai says it can run from 0-to-60 mph in 5.5 seconds with launch control activated.

Land vehicle Vehicle Speedometer Car White

Key1

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo Polymetal Gray
31 Posts
Someone just achieved 4.7 seconds (with 1ft rollout) 0-60 with their JB4 tuned turbo Mazda 3. Since JB4 is also compatible with the CX-30, I can foresee 4.9 seconds for the CX-30 (with 1ft rollout). This is faster than a stock challenger 5.7 V8, civic type R, and golf R manual (from Car and Driver figures), which is absolutely nutty given that this is a CUV. We're not out of the woods yet and this platform has a lot of potential ; )

·
Registered
38 Posts
Someone just achieved 4.7 seconds (with 1ft rollout) 0-60 with their JB4 tuned turbo Mazda 3. Since JB4 is also compatible with the CX-30, I can foresee 4.9 seconds for the CX-30 (with 1ft rollout). This is faster than a stock challenger 5.7 V8, civic type R, and golf R manual (from Car and Driver figures), which is absolutely nutty given that this is a CUV. We're not out of the woods yet and this platform has a lot of potential ; )

This is super exciting to see. Not sure why it shifted at 4500 rpm from 1st to 2nd though. I can’t wait for the aftermarket support to start pouring in for the turbo. This is exciting.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Any thoughts?

Key1
The Kona N is a pretty cool car for what it is. It has more HP but we produce more torque. I was looking at it before I bought my cx30 turbo. I’ve just never been huge on the looks. It’s not terrible, I just feel like the cx30 is a much sharper / classy looking car inside and out.

The Kona N in its high performance trim definitely has a better suspension, breaks, and transmission from a performance stand point. The cx30 would ride smoother, quieter, and is more luxurious all around. It’s just more polished.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo Polymetal Gray
31 Posts
This is super exciting to see. Not sure why it shifted at 4500 rpm from 1st to 2nd though. I can’t wait for the aftermarket support to start pouring in for the turbo. This is exciting.
Very exciting indeed! I think it short-shifted because it was traction limited (TSC kicked in). This was with 92 octane. Imagine with 94 octane and a drag-prepped surface!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very exciting indeed! I think it short-shifted because it was traction limited (TSC kicked in). This was with 92 octane. Imagine with 94 octane and a drag-prepped surface!
That makes sense, if it hadn’t done that it may have shaved another 1/2 second off or so. Either way that’s impressive from just a tune. Imagine a full turbo back exhaust and a tune. I bet it will be around 4 seconds flat. I’d be very happy with that kind of performance. With 94 and a track maybe even better either way that’s very exciting. What a beast of a engine we have in our cars! 😁

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It's interesting or coincidental that the Kona N trim MSRP is almost exactly the same as the top of the line CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus at a little over $34K USD. Below is a window sticker for the Kona N. Looks like we (CX30 Turbo Premium Plus have more creature comforts...sun/moon roof, AWD, etc)
Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Pattern

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium Hatch polymetal gray over red/blk
264 Posts
Kona N may be faster down a drag strip or around a race course, otherwise, forgetabout it.
Kona N gets worse fuel economy than a Genesis GV70 (4) with more hp and 1/2 ton more weight !

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
175 Posts
Any thoughts?
I wouldn't call the N a CUV with 6.8" of ground clearance. This is 1.1" higher than a Camry and 1.2" higher than a Golf lol. I cut the CUV ground clearance standard at a firm 7.5" with preference of 8" or higher. Anything lower has no practical "utility" use in the real world. The N is a hatchback trying to be a CUV and the CX-30 2.5T is still the CUV power champ.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a link of a comparison of the Kona N versus a base Mazda Turbo (without all the bells and whistles)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts