1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 SP 2021
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
This is my first post here.

I bought a Mazda CX30 and it's 2 weeks old now and 600km on it.

So far I'm so much enjoying driving it. It's a nice car to drive. But it's 2 weeks already and I have some concerns..

I know Mazda in Thailand is not the same as in Europe or in the USA but have few questions which maybe you guys can help or make me feel better about these:

1) First thing I noticed is brakes. It feels like the car doesn't want to stop. I took the car to the place where I bought it and told them the issue or how I feel about the brakes. He started to drive the car with me next to him and the brakes worked perfectly. Stopped in emergency or else no problem. So I'm kind of ok with this brake feeling but tbh it still feels like the car doesn't want to stop at all and it is giving me the feeling of I will hit without stopping in an emergency. Like I said at the Mazda service he stopped the car without any problem. And he explained to me it's normal for Mazda brakes to act like this but rest assured that it will stop in an emergency. I said ok. So, does this brake thing feeling normal? Does everyone or most of the people have this feeling?
2) This i-stop.. is it good or bad? So far happened to me in.. let's say strange situations. 1 happened when I was trying to park at my garage. I halted the car then take the gear R. While doing that the car stopped and started again. I was shocked and scared. Never witnessed i-stop before. Then it happened 2nd time again in the same situation. Then when I mentioned this to my friend who has Mazda 2 told me that its i-stop n need to panic. So far I have never witnessed i-stop happening when I'm driving in traffic or traffic jam. It's always when I'm parking the car and when the time I'm changing the gear(knob) from D to R. I also know I can check the i-stop from the info screen. Can someone tell me the i-stop trigger conditions, please such as the gear must be on P or D or when the car is on Hold Brake or Hand Brake, etc.?
3) Today I heard a sound when changing the gear. Did a short drive. I halt the car in my garage and I was on R so I took it to P and then I heard a sound coming from the front part of the car. I don't know how to describe the sound but it's more like from the brakes. Something like GRRRCCHHHhhh. Then I wanted to test if it will do again, and yes. This time from P to R and did the same sound but from the back of the car this time and the same sound. So it's repeating like this. It is probably normal but still wondering. I'm pretty sure this sound is new. Any ideas?
4) I also noticed that the inside of the car is very kind of fragile. I was adding some extra part to the car, and I touched the place under the AC controls, and then scratched it. it was really a soft touch not hard or pushing anything. The same thing happened with the front bumper when I tried to add something extra to the car, a small scratch to the bumper under the number plate. Also another scratch around the roof opener hand. Because sometimes my hand slips and touches the area. is it normal that to get a scratch even from a small touch??
5) I found out that there is no navigation SD card for Mazda in Asia. it's only for Turkey, Russia, and the USA. I must say I'm seriously shocked and don't know why my seller did not tell me about it. So I'm using some mobile app for the map but it's not ok. My car has this option and I want to use it! Although Mazda Thai website has Mazda Toolbox and maps to download. So my plan is to buy a micro sd card and format it in my car then use this Mazda toolbox on it. Do you guys think it will work? If so, do you think 128GB is enough for the micro sd card?
6) After I drive the car smells like.. burned plastic. Not sure from the tyres or from the brakes or from the car itself. Not inside of the car but from outside. I think it's getting less and lesser. Is it normal with new cars?
7) a too late question, but does Mazda cx30 better than her equals? I felt like that tbh.

I know it's long to read but I thought it's better to tell all within 1 post. Thank you all of you

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
719 Posts
Lots of issues here, @ThaiMeow and you may find if you get any replies that the thread becomes confusing. However.

1. I too have noticed the brakes seem 'less willing' than my previous cars, but I have now done almost 4,000 miles (almost 6,500km) and just don't notice the issue any more. Maybe, if your car is new, the brake pads are still bedding in?
  2. iStop is a technology that stops the engine to conserve fuel and reduce emissions when the car is at a standstill. Opinions on this function in the car vary, but I found that it works and works well, although, when the car was new, starting and pulling away with iStop needed attention to avoid the car stalling. Again, now I have some miles on the car iStop is fine and just works. On a manual, iStop engages if the car is stationary and you have your foot on the brake with the car in neural and you release the clutch. It restarts if you put the car into gear and release the brake, so when you release the clutch you start to move forward.
  3. As I drive a manual I cannot comment on this.
  4. The plastics used in the car are soft as others have commented. Just be aware of this and be careful when cleaning or modifying the interior.
  5. I have SD-card navigation in my CX30 (UK-based) but I cannot comment if Navigation is available on particular CX30 models in Thailand. We have other members from Thailand so perhaps they can comment
  6. I would expect a new car to have 'new car' smells when you first use the car as some of the delivery protection finishes on the car wear off as the car is used.
  7. I found the CX30 compared favourably with the other cars I was looking at (like the BMW X1 and the Audi Q3)

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT Turbo
8 Posts
Savcom answered almost everything except number 3 so here i go :

3. I think you are hearing the Electric Parking Brake. It applies the parking brake using an electric motor and the sound of the parking brake being applied or released can be heard. This does not indicate a problem, i hear mine too.

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
270 Posts
My car is just a little over a week old with 101 miles (~160km?). The brakes feel very different than the Sonata I traded. They do feel like less braking but they do brake just as well. I believe it is just a quirky characteristic of these cars and something to get used to.

Many cars have that smell in the beginning as engine parts heat and cool and some of the coatings from manufacturing cook away. It is normal and goes away after a few hundred miles usually.

+1 The sound is probably the parking brake system setting itself.

The rest I can't comment on but others have covered for you. I think it is all just getting used to a new car and the quirks that come with each one. Enjoy your drive.

·
Registered
Arriving soon: SE-L Lux e-Skyactiv X, Deep Crystal Blue Mica + detachable tow bar
25 Posts
Still waiting to collect ours next week but can add +1 to the braking, when we test drove it was the 1st thing I noticed compared to our current T roc, the brakes are a lot more “gentle” and I had to apply a lot more force to get the same stopping power.

I do, however, find the brakes in the VW a little too much sometimes so looking forward to living with the opposite for a while!

·
Registered
Mazda CX 30 Turbo (Engine? Year?)
14 Posts
Hello, I can chime on a couple.

I know what you meant with the brakes. I felt that way one time with my car, then I realized the brakes was setup as somewhat of a sporty car. I had a Mercedes suv and a Ford mustang. The brake on the Mazda felt more similar to the Mustang in that the more you press on the brake pedal the harder it will brake. Whereas on my Mercedes SUV, the brake feel are more linear no matter how far you press the pedal.

What car did you drove before this? I think you will get used to the brakes eventually and find that it's actually really good especially if you're going faster on a turn.

As for the inside, YES the shiny black plastic pieces are very fragile. It scratches easily and have to be mindful on how you clean it.

·
Registered
Preferred FWD / Deep Crystal Blue Mica
189 Posts
"...As Mazda’s highly-nerdy engineer Dave Coleman explained in a article about the CX30, the brake pedal operation was simplified to use just calf muscles instead of weaker shin muscles. The pedal operation is a short push, but a stiff one with more effort required than usual. It feels positive and progressive without the long soft pedal most cars are known for. It’s difficult to explain, but it’s really good..."

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 SP 2021
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of issues here, @ThaiMeow and you may find if you get any replies that the thread becomes confusing. However.

1. I too have noticed the brakes seem 'less willing' than my previous cars, but I have now done almost 4,000 miles (almost 6,500km) and just don't notice the issue any more. Maybe, if your car is new, the brake pads are still bedding in?
  2. iStop is a technology that stops the engine to conserve fuel and reduce emissions when the car is at a standstill. Opinions on this function in the car vary, but I found that it works and works well, although, when the car was new, starting and pulling away with iStop needed attention to avoid the car stalling. Again, now I have some miles on the car iStop is fine and just works. On a manual, iStop engages if the car is stationary and you have your foot on the brake with the car in neural and you release the clutch. It restarts if you put the car into gear and release the brake, so when you release the clutch you start to move forward.
  3. As I drive a manual I cannot comment on this.
  4. The plastics used in the car are soft as others have commented. Just be aware of this and be careful when cleaning or modifying the interior.
  5. I have SD-card navigation in my CX30 (UK-based) but I cannot comment if Navigation is available on particular CX30 models in Thailand. We have other members from Thailand so perhaps they can comment
  6. I would expect a new car to have 'new car' smells when you first use the car as some of the delivery protection finishes on the car wear off as the car is used.
  7. I found the CX30 compared favourably with the other cars I was looking at (like the BMW X1 and the Audi Q3)
Savcom answered almost everything except number 3 so here i go :

3. I think you are hearing the Electric Parking Brake. It applies the parking brake using an electric motor and the sound of the parking brake being applied or released can be heard. This does not indicate a problem, i hear mine too.
My car is just a little over a week old with 101 miles (~160km?). The brakes feel very different than the Sonata I traded. They do feel like less braking but they do brake just as well. I believe it is just a quirky characteristic of these cars and something to get used to.

Many cars have that smell in the beginning as engine parts heat and cool and some of the coatings from manufacturing cook away. It is normal and goes away after a few hundred miles usually.

+1 The sound is probably the parking brake system setting itself.

The rest I can't comment on but others have covered for you. I think it is all just getting used to a new car and the quirks that come with each one. Enjoy your drive.
Hello, I can chime on a couple.

I know what you meant with the brakes. I felt that way one time with my car, then I realized the brakes was setup as somewhat of a sporty car. I had a Mercedes suv and a Ford mustang. The brake on the Mazda felt more similar to the Mustang in that the more you press on the brake pedal the harder it will brake. Whereas on my Mercedes SUV, the brake feel are more linear no matter how far you press the pedal.

What car did you drove before this? I think you will get used to the brakes eventually and find that it's actually really good especially if you're going faster on a turn.

As for the inside, YES the shiny black plastic pieces are very fragile. It scratches easily and have to be mindful on how you clean it.
"...As Mazda’s highly-nerdy engineer Dave Coleman explained in a article about the CX30, the brake pedal operation was simplified to use just calf muscles instead of weaker shin muscles. The pedal operation is a short push, but a stiff one with more effort required than usual. It feels positive and progressive without the long soft pedal most cars are known for. It’s difficult to explain, but it’s really good..."
Guys, thank you so much. Great answers. I feel better now.
And also thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 SP 2021
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still waiting to collect ours next week but can add +1 to the braking, when we test drove it was the 1st thing I noticed compared to our current T roc, the brakes are a lot more “gentle” and I had to apply a lot more force to get the same stopping power.

I do, however, find the brakes in the VW a little too much sometimes so looking forward to living with the opposite for a while!
You are going to enjoy your car, trust me. Just don't get shocked or surprised by few different things. As you can see they are all normal. :)

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 SP 2021
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have SD-card navigation in my CX30 (UK-based) but I cannot comment if Navigation is available on particular CX30 models in Thailand. We have other members from Thailand so perhaps they can comment
Hi again,
So do you think I can use a normal micro sd card, format it on my car and download the Mazda toolbox and follow the instructions and download the map to sd via pc, and can use it on the car nav? If I can, do you think 128 or 256GB enough? Because thailand mazda website has the tool and map update, all.
OR this navigation sd card is something different than normal sd cards?

thanks

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium Polymetal Gray Metallic
115 Posts
I am quite confident that you can NOT use any SD card and download a map to it. The software will only work with a Mazda Navigation SD card that comes with a valid map already on it that is correct for your CX-30. Fortunately for those of us in the US, there are Navigation cards available on eBay and Amazon at much more reasonable prices.
I got mine in December of 2020 for around $45 US and it works normally. I’ve updated the maps at least two times since purchasing. It’s a decent navigation system but when I test it in areas that I know my way around, I’ve found the phone based apps are much better at selecting “the best route” that the Mazda navigation system.

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 SP 2021
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am quite confident that you can NOT use any SD card and download a map to it. The software will only work with a Mazda Navigation SD card that comes with a valid map already on it that is correct for your CX-30. Fortunately for those of us in the US, there are Navigation cards available on eBay and Amazon at much more reasonable prices.
I got mine in December of 2020 for around $45 US and it works normally. I’ve updated the maps at least two times since purchasing. It’s a decent navigation system but when I test it in areas that I know my way around, I’ve found the phone based apps are much better at selecting “the best route” that the Mazda navigation system.
Thnx for the info.
Then i will probably fail but will try just in case.. i will update.
Damn its really shame for mazda...

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
944 Posts
from the Navigation owners manual:

"To use the navigation system, the SD card containing the map information needs to be inserted in the SD card slot."

"This SD card is valid for use in only one vehicle. Never use it in another vehicle. If the SD card is used first in one vehicle and then in another, the navigation system for either one of the vehicles may become inoperable. "

Reactions: ThaiMeow

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 SP 2021
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
from the Navigation owners manual:

"To use the navigation system, the SD card containing the map information needs to be inserted in the SD card slot."

"This SD card is valid for use in only one vehicle. Never use it in another vehicle. If the SD card is used first in one vehicle and then in another, the navigation system for either one of the vehicles may become inoperable. "
thanks
tho my plan is to buy a new sd card... when you put it into the car it asks for format. Now if the car formats it, it means that it's formatted as the car needs. Example: most pc format C: as NTFS. So it's the same. Then I will use the Mazda toolbox program downloaded from the Mazda Thailand website. It will auto-install the map and other things.

Well, we will see the result in 2-3 days. I just ordered a 256kb new micro sd card. I will update the result. If it doesn't work out.. then there is nothing else to do but to hate Mazda lol.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 i Sport - Sonic Silver
40 Posts
Just want to share my experience; as I am not expert on the navigation system, the best way to see if your idea works is just trying as you are doing. Anyway: 1) my CX-30 did not come with the navigation card. 2) I purchased a Mazda Connect SD card on an eBay-like site, stating is original and will allow 3 year free update. 3) once received the card, the instructions indicated to first input on the car. I did not do and tried to update first with Mazda Toolbox: I was not able as Toolbox indicated that there was no VIN associated to the card. Please note the SD card was not empty. It contained several system files and an empty license folder. 4) after unsuccessful update attempt I input the SD card in my car and navigation system recognized the maps 5) tried again to update it with toolbox and this time the app recognized the card as associated to my VIN; and was able to update maps on SD and start the 3 year period for updates. This time, before updating with Toolbox, there was a binary file in the license folder that was not before. So, when inserted the SD card, my CX-30 wrote that file to the card.

The point of all this speech is that when I input the SD card on the car, did not format it, but created a “license” file that later was recognized by Mazda Toolbox and used to tie updates to my VIN. The SD card was not empty, it already had maps, and the “license” file was created by the car into the SD card.

After that I was able to create a backup that in my opinion can be used to restore to a generic SD card in case the original is damaged; but I have the feeling that this can be done only if you used in first place an SD card with all the maps and system files on it.

As said before, not an expert and the best way to validate if it works is to try, just wanted to share my experience.

Best regards, and please share your results once you try; I think would be helpful for the community to know if an original card is required at first place or it works with an empty card.

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 SP 2021
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just want to share my experience; as I am not expert on the navigation system, the best way to see if your idea works is just trying as you are doing. Anyway: 1) my CX-30 did not come with the navigation card. 2) I purchased a Mazda Connect SD card on an eBay-like site, stating is original and will allow 3 year free update. 3) once received the card, the instructions indicated to first input on the car. I did not do and tried to update first with Mazda Toolbox: I was not able as Toolbox indicated that there was no VIN associated to the card. Please note the SD card was not empty. It contained several system files and an empty license folder. 4) after unsuccessful update attempt I input the SD card in my car and navigation system recognized the maps 5) tried again to update it with toolbox and this time the app recognized the card as associated to my VIN; and was able to update maps on SD and start the 3 year period for updates. This time, before updating with Toolbox, there was a binary file in the license folder that was not before. So, when inserted the SD card, my CX-30 wrote that file to the card.

The point of all this speech is that when I input the SD card on the car, did not format it, but created a “license” file that later was recognized by Mazda Toolbox and used to tie updates to my VIN. The SD card was not empty, it already had maps, and the “license” file was created by the car into the SD card.

After that I was able to create a backup that in my opinion can be used to restore to a generic SD card in case the original is damaged; but I have the feeling that this can be done only if you used in first place an SD card with all the maps and system files on it.

As said before, not an expert and the best way to validate if it works is to try, just wanted to share my experience.

Best regards, and please share your results once you try; I think would be helpful for the community to know if an original card is required at first place or it works with an empty card.
thanks. great info. And actually kind of stronger my point but also weaken my point too. It makes my point stronger because it shows that if I put my sd card into the car then it will create something that's for sure and that might help me for the map... but on the other hand.. you mentioned that the card already had some files belongs to Mazda.. i wont have them with the new sd card...
I said format because I read in many places they say when you put the navigation card or any sd card the car asks for format or not.
so with your info, my plan is first put the card inside then see what will happen.. i will update.

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
270 Posts
Which U.S. trim level(s) does this SD card apply to? Thanks.

·
Registered
Mazda CX30 SP 2021
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Well tested today,
Car didn't even recognize or read the sd card. So yes, I need that recognition program for Mazda. Then I can do it.
So any ideas where I can get that program? thanks

1 - 20 of 47 Posts