Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
‘17 CX-9 Signature & ‘19 Mazda 3 GT
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know or noticed if there’s an extra layer of film or like a screen protector on the 8.8” infotainment screen that came with vehicle as standard? Reason I asked is that my new Mazda 3 (would have same screen on the CX30) has a portion of the screen (about 2-3” in diameter) near top left corner that has a “bubble” that seemed underneath the film that I can’t seem to get rid off and I tried rubbing it off when cleaning with a microfibre cloth but nothing. I am tempted to peel away whatever film or layer there is but am afraid it might get worse!
Display device Rectangle Gadget Tints and shades Material property
Display device Gadget Multimedia

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,520 Posts
it's probably this:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately it’s not as mine doesn’t have a monitoring camera...as mentioned it’s an odd bubble shape that appears to be beneath the protective film or layer similar to like when a liquid or oil was spread out. Must have been there after the screen protector was applied from the factory or dealership? I’ll try to take a photo of it and post it when I get the chance...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I got mine it had a protective film on the screen that I peeled off, thinks it's protection until it gets to the end user.
So when you peeled that layer off, did that “bubble” disappear? It feels like the protective layer doesn’t scratch which is a good thing but even when I try to clean or buff it with microfibre cloth it still looks a bit dull and not very clear

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
219 Posts
So when you peeled that layer off, did that “bubble” disappear? It feels like the protective layer doesn’t scratch which is a good thing but even when I try to clean or buff it with microfibre cloth it still looks a bit dull and not very clear
Could you possibly take a photo to show us the bubble? The protective covering that comes from the factory is pretty obvious and not likely to be left on either through the pre-delivery inspection or even by the owner. Did your dealership install some kind of screen protector of their own? Honestly, this is not a touch screen and I don't know that would need such a thing (if that's the case).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could you possibly take a photo to show us the bubble? The protective covering that comes from the factory is pretty obvious and not likely to be left on either through the pre-delivery inspection or even by the owner. Did your dealership install some kind of screen protector of their own? Honestly, this is not a touch screen and I don't know that would need such a thing (if that's the case).
Here are photos..focus closely on the top left corner of the screen
Display device Rectangle Gadget Tints and shades Material property
Display device Gadget Multimedia

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
219 Posts
That looks quite strange. Unless your dealership installed something over it, it looks like the screen itself is damaged. Was it like that at delivery? I can't see why that wouldn't be a warranty issue.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That looks quite strange. Unless your dealership installed something over it, it looks like the screen itself is damaged. Was it like that at delivery? I can't see why that wouldn't be a warranty issue.
was like that after delivery...I can tell judging by the edge of the screen that there’s a thin layer of plastic or screen protector similar to cellphones I guess intended to avoid scratches. I can attempt to peel it off but I just wasn’t sure if all the infotainment screens found in Mazda 3s/CX-30s came like that from the factory and after delivery or whether dealer installed it. I asked the salesman who sold me the car and he said that they thought they removed the film during PDI but now they weren’t sure if this was omitted

just for comparison,can you take a close up photo of your screen focused on the corner so I can clearly see what the actual screen would look like without any film/protector? Appreciate this...thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the photos! Hard to tell based from the photos but do you notice if there’s a layer or film over the screen? Or is the screen itself down to the base screen? I think you’ll be able to tell on the very edge-corners if there’s an indent using a fingernail. On mine I can tell there’s obviously an extra layer...btw nice interior colour dash!

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,520 Posts
I looked close at mine and also tested the edge and could not see or feel any extra layer. I would think it would have a cover when the vehicle is built and shipped and then normally removed at the dealership when they do the PDI.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked close at mine and also tested the edge and could not see or feel any extra layer. I would think it would have a cover when the vehicle is built and shipped and then normally removed at the dealership when they do the PDI.
Yes I totally agree and have a hunch that the dealer just failed to remove this protective layer upon delivery. Not that I’m really upset or anything but I just didn’t want to damage or mess it up without really being 100% sure. Other challenge is I didn’t want to drive 35+ kms to bring car back to dealer just for this and would be nice to have a point of comparison hence the reason I reached out to fellow Mazda owners. I will try to figure this out during the holidays as it’s not that annoying at the moment. Thanks for the responses on this!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just a follow up to this thread, my dealership said they already removed the plastic layer on the screen prior to delivery so I am thinking that this is a defect as portion of the screen has delaminated but I am still doubtful they removed it. I’ll try again from my to see if I can remove the film myself and update it on here on the outcome.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a follow up to this thread, my dealership said they already removed the plastic layer on the screen prior to delivery so I am thinking that this is a defect as portion of the screen has delaminated but I am still doubtful they removed it. I’ll try again from my to see if I can remove the film myself and update it on here on the outcome.
Came from dealership today so they took photos of the infotainment screen and will file a warranty claim with Mazda...they had to order a new screen for a replacement with part expected to arrive in the 1st wk of January. Not particularly pleased for a brand new car but it is what it is and at least Mazda will replace the screen under warranty. Turns out there is an anti-glare film on the screen that a small portion may have started to peel off!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Came from dealership today so they took photos of the infotainment screen and will file a warranty claim with Mazda...they had to order a new screen for a replacement with part expected to arrive in the 1st wk of January. Not particularly pleased for a brand new car but it is what it is and at least Mazda will replace the screen under warranty. Turns out there is an anti-glare film on the screen that a small portion may have started to peel off!
just to cap off this thread, got a call yesterday from my dealership and Mazda has approved the replacement of my infotainment screen under warranty. Will be dropping off my vehicle early next week for the service as they requested couple of hours to complete the work. In case this happens to anyone, the anti glare film peeling off is indeed covered by Mazda’s warranty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.