Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Sport Tech (UK, RHD), Skyactiv-X
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having issues with my cx-30, namely vibration when I brake over 55-60km/hr. The dealer simply changes both the disk brakes (rotors for Americans) and brake pads in order to solve this. Pass 4-5 months, and the vibration comes back. This has already happened twice. The dealer states that the disk brakes have been warped due to sudden braking or due to getting the disk brakes wet when they're hot.

Finally my dealer opened up a case with Mazda around 4 weeks ago. Today I received a call that Mazda are sending over some new brake pads with a different material. Did anybody hear anything of the sort? I feel like I am being taken for a ride by my dealer to be honest, as if it's different material pads, wouldn't all cx-30 be effected by this?

Many thanks!

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
829 Posts
You may find that the pads fitted to your vehicle are for the UK and that they may not be the ones specified for Malta. Have you asked this of your dealer?

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GS AWD 2021 CX-30 GS FWD
100 Posts
My guess would be run out on one of your wheel hubs, probably a front hub. Unless Malta roads have changed since I was there some years ago it is possible to have hit a pot hole or a curb on a narrow street.
I have not had any issue with brakes on my CX30 GS AWD, driven thro snow, ice, slush and rain.

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Sport Tech (UK, RHD), Skyactiv-X
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess would be run out on one of your wheel hubs, probably a front hub. Unless Malta roads have changed since I was there some years ago it is possible to have hit a pot hole or a curb on a narrow street.
I have not had any issue with brakes on my CX30 GS AWD, driven thro snow, ice, slush and rain.
that was a thing of the past, with Eu funds, malta has come a long way in terms of road infrastructure.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo premium
9 Posts
My research over the years shows that rotor "warpage" is far more uncommon than people think. We have many divided highways where you can be cruising (often 70 mph), then encounter a stoplight going yellow necessitating a long hard stop, especially if on a long downhill stretch. If you stop and wait through the entire light, without creeping forward ever so slightly, maybe 2-3 times, the section of the rotor under the pads literally "cooks", moving carbon molecules around, forming VERY hard spots in the metal, which, over time, wear less than the rest of the rotor, causing a thickness variation, not side to side warpage. Once such stop can do this, but it doesn't show up for a long time, so you never associate the braking event with the ensuing vibration.

·
Registered
Current Mazdas: 15 Mazda3, 16 Mazda2, 19 Mazda3 and 3 prior Mazdas
113 Posts
If Mazda is covering the cost under warranty, I would be thankful they are trying to address your problem.

I had a similar problem with my 2015 Mazda3. Brakes would be fine for 5,000 miles and start to drive like I had warped rotors. The local mechanic finally replaced the pads and rotors with different products and never had the problem again. My repairs were all at my expense. Sorry I don’t have the specifics, it was a few years back. This was the only problem I had with the Mazda3.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually, while stopping at a light with hot rotors can be a cause of vibration, it is not because of “moving carbon molecules around” or by making ‘hard spots’ in the metal. What actually happens is the transfer of excess pad material from the stopped pad onto the very hot rotor. The resulting “lump” will alternately grab the pad under braking and cause the pedal vibration. Sometimes this can be cured by rebedding the pads, depositing an even coating of pad material onto the rotor. Alternately, a more abrasive pad can be installed for a short time to physically remove the eneven deposits - labor intensive. Regardless, a huge number of rotors are replaced annually when they were not warped; they simply had an uneven coating of pad material…

THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT WARPED BRAKE ROTORS..

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo premium
9 Posts
Sorry if I mis-spoke. I'll have to contact the current publishers of Carroll Smith's (late, great, race car engineer) three classic books: "Prepare to Win", "Engineer to Win", and "Drive to Win", to find that information and remove it in future versions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.