Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"So why should you spend the extra coin for a CX-30 over a Mazda3 aside from its higher seating position and pseudo off-roader looks?

For starters, there's more room for rear passengers. Its 36.3 inches of rear legroom provides 1.2 inches more than the 3, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's definitely noticeable. Cargo room behind the rear seats is on par with the Mazda3 hatchback, but interestingly enough, the CX-30 provides 1.9 cubic feet less space than the Mazda3 with the rear seats folded down. It can also be optioned with roof rails for your outdoor gear, and the CX-30 debuts Mazda's new Connected Services system (standard across the lineup), which includes Wi-Fi hotspot and over-the-air updates for the infotainment system. Mazda Connected Services also interacts with the CX-30 via your personal device, allowing you to start the engine remotely, lock/unlock doors, send destination details to the navigation system, and monitor vitals like oil levels, tire pressures, and more.

With sharp styling, fun driving dynamics, loads of tech, and an impressive interior, the 2020 CX-30 should have no problem attracting would-be Mazda3 buyers who are better suited for a crossover. The automaker thinks it can snag Lexus UX and Buick Encore prospects, too. And based on our time with the small Mazda, that goal should be fairly easy to reach." ~
MotorTrend

In short, fork over $400 more to get a CX-30 over the Mazda3, unless you really like compact sedans!

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
373 Posts
not sure where $400 comes from but Canadian MSRP is:

2020 CX-3 FWD 6-spd manual - $21,045
(n/a in CX-30)

2020 CX-3 GX FWD auto - $22,345
2020 CX-30 GX FWD auto - $23,950
($1,605 difference)
(+ $2,000 for AWD on either model)

2020 CX-3 GS FWD - $23,345
2020 CX-30 GS FWD - $26,650
($3,305 difference)
(+ $2,000 for AWD on either model)

2020 CX-3 GT AWD - $31,045
2020 CX-30 GT AWD - $33,850
($2,805 difference)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I was looking at U.S. pricing to keep a consistent theme with where the quoted text was sourced (a U.S. publication)
In Canada I can see how someone looking at the Mazda3 would be discouraged to get the CX-30 just looking at the monthly payment breakdown. Its not a realistic jump for the average car buyer.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
373 Posts
my error as I should have put the MSRP for the M3 not the CX-3,

·
Registered
103 Posts
"... there's more room for rear passengers. Its 36.3 inches of rear legroom provides 1.2 inches more than the 3, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's definitely noticeable. Cargo room behind the rear seats is on par with the Mazda3 hatchback, but interestingly enough, the CX-30 provides 1.9 cubic feet less space than the Mazda3 with the rear seats folded down. …"
This is something I find really odd about the CX-30. They took a Mazda3 platform and turned it into a crossover SUV, but somehow ended up with less cargo space than the original hatchback?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry Fuji, I unknowingly started the same comparison thread sometime after this one. I have asked admin to delete that thread and have referred users of that thread to yours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but it probably belongs here:
for the record, I MUCH prefer The 3 Hatchback's looks to the CX-30 (it looks way too much like the CX-5 for my tastes. I wish it had a sportier look), but...
I decided on going w/the CX-30 over the 3 hatch. Sad day; I love the 3 hatch - leased the 2014 and 2017 versions.

I chose the CX-30 over the 3 Hatch for these reasons:
  • More head room in the back for sure (I'm 6'2, my brother 6'3. my head was just touching the roofline in the backseat)
  • Cargo space seemed larger (maybe due to the height?)
  • Better driving sightlines
  • interior was a lot brighter (I have NO IDEA why they made the 3 with the all black interior, including the pillars and headliner. the 3's interior is just too dark)
  • The cabin just feels a lot more spacious overall.
  • For some reason the lease payments were LOWER for the CX-30!!!
For me, the 3 Hatch looks absolutely incredible (seeing the polymetal gray 3 Hatch with the blacked-out wheels in person.... damn, the pics don't do it justice)!!! But.... the CX-30 seems more functional. That, and the lower lease payments sealed the deal.

I'm really gonna miss driving the 3...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts