Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
829 Posts
I can't help wondering what effect the wider tyres might make on the fuel consumption. If it's not significant I'd consider putting wider tyres on mine.

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
743 Posts
Ahh yes the black wheels, i had the alloy wheels painted gloss black when i bought the car, threw it into the loan View attachment 1370
its like what they put on the cx 30 turbo and it looks real nice :) just remember use a shinell wash mit when cleaning your wheels when you wash your cx 30 cus those blacked out wheels will scratch real easy and show it like a sore thumb if you want to keep them looking new that is :)

·
Registered
'22 2.5T JBM Stealth
230 Posts
Why did you go with a smaller diameter wheel as stock are 18s?
Smaller diameter wheels have more benefits than drawbacks for a daily driver. Smaller wheels are generally lighter which results in a reduction of unsprung weight. This has the potential to improve fuel economy and acceleration. Smaller wheels generally have improved comfort and a reduced likelihood of wheel damage due to a taller tire side wall. Taller side wall tires usually cost less to replace in the future as well. The 2 major benefits of larger wheels are improved aesthetics and better performance through cornering (debatable), but most daily drivers are not racing around a track so it doesn't matter. The advantages for larger wheels just don't add up, unless your primary focus is looking better.

·
Registered
2020 CX30 Preferred
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Smaller diameter wheels have more benefits than drawbacks for a daily driver. Smaller wheels are generally lighter which results in a reduction of unsprung weight. This has the potential to improve fuel economy and acceleration. Smaller wheels generally have improved comfort and a reduced likelihood of wheel damage due to a taller tire side wall. Taller side wall tires usually cost less to replace in the future as well. The 2 major benefits of larger wheels are improved aesthetics and better performance through cornering (debatable), but most daily drivers are not racing around a track so it doesn't matter. The advantages for larger wheels just don't add up, unless your primary focus is looking better.
You hit the nail on the head. These tires even with studs are lighter than the stock 18s. Even as squishy winter tires, the car handles much better when cornering than the pizza cutter 215s. The back end doesn’t want to hop out if there’s a bump in the turn. Plus, a 17 is cheaper and more durable like you said. Eventually, once these are worn out I want to switch over to a more off-road tire. I just need to find a size that will fit. I want something that’s a light truck tire, like a Terragrappler but it’s hard to find tires like that in smaller sizes that aren’t 10 inches wide for a jeep

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.