Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 hp / 400 lb⋅ft
222 Posts
I know for me, the sweet spot of the CX-30 was largely found in the power increase of the turbo'd version. That extra performance really made it stand out from competitors in that price range. I consider it a niche vehicle, with the CX-5 being more of the mass appeal counterpart.

The chief complaints were always the tight backseat space and the older 6-speed transmission -- despite it being leaps and bounds better than the CVTs that are commonly found in this segment. And there is only so much you can do about the space in a subcompact (hence CX-5 for those who need more, duh!)

·
Registered
CX-30 GT Turbo
236 Posts
Everyone has different opinions, it seems like the reviewer here wanted to be driving a sports car with the carrying capacity of a Mid-size SUV. For me, the CX-30 is at a sweet spot for be between being small enough to fit anywhere around the city and big enough to fit almost anything I want in it. If I had kids I would have bought the CX-5. The Turbo does go a long way in negating any deficiencies the 6-speed transmission might have, however I've driven a Forrester extensively and can say the CVT in that is much slower from a stop.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know for me, the sweet spot of the CX-30 was largely found in the power increase of the turbo'd version. That extra performance really made it stand out from competitors in that price range. I consider it a niche vehicle, with the CX-5 being more of the mass appeal counterpart.

The chief complaints were always the tight backseat space and the older 6-speed transmission -- despite it being leaps and bounds better than the CVTs that are commonly found in this segment. And there is only so much you can do about the space in a subcompact (hence CX-5 for those who need more, duh!)
Agreed! I have also "heard" about the "inadequate" 6-speed auto, but having just sold my 2020 Kia Soul with a CVT, I would rather have a 5-Speed Auto than a CVT.

Reactions: Sebas9999

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,390 Posts
when I read it I thought mine must be a completely different vehicle

"We grew tired of apologizing to passengers for the buzz-prone powertrain, the transmission's sloppy shifts, and inconsistent stops due to a mushy brake pedal. "
I've never experienced this, the engine is powerful (2.5L) and the 6-spd auto is smooth and shifts great, and the brakes feel solid.

"We've also found Mazda's infotainment system difficult to use while driving, requiring far too much time looking at screens and twiddling a knob than is safe to do while on the road."
Yes there is a learning curve, but once you get past that it is quite straight forward, I find I very rarely do any changes while driving and any that I do (like say switching between the nav screen and my music screen), I can do it without even looking at my control and simply do it by feel. Also (as they complained in the linked article) it can be more easily solved by saving your choices to favourites.

"We spent about $375.00 maintaining our Mazda (we say "about," because a careless former employee neglected to file the paper work for our CX-30's second service)."
They said it was more than three other vehicles (2020 Soul, 2018 Crosstrek, 2020 Mazda 3), but also does not tell us much as we've no idea specifically what was done on all four vehicles to make a more fair comparison. For example was synthetic oil used on one vehicle and not another, and as they lost the paper work.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Auto Machine Grey
63 Posts
Bizarre review in my opinion. It reads as though the reviewer had had a bad day and took it out on the next car on their books, just happening to be the CX30. No idea what is meant by a "buzz-prone powertrain". Mine is smooth and quiet. The accusation of "sloppy shifts' is even more odd. I happen to like the 'old fashioned' auto box which I find no issue with whatsoever and hugely better than a CVT. Again, the "mushy brake pedal" is nowhere to be seen on my CX30. The infotainment system is easy to use and well designed in its simplicity and I can use it without having to look at anything and poke a screen when I should be looking at the road ( I am defo with Mazda on that one). The review is, in any event, very different in emphasis to every other review of the car that I have read (and I have read heaps), even those levelling criticism at the car (usually about boot and rear seat space). Every car has its critics which is fair enough and what makes the world go around but this one is odd and not one I would pay any attention to if I had the CX30 on my list of possible purchases. In fact, one wonders what car they were actually reviewing 🙄

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 AWD, Carbon Edition (CE)
185 Posts
A fun & spirited review of the 2020 CX-30 by a real person. Should hold true for 2021/2022 as well, since the vehicle is in the same build-gen still, with some minor tweaks/improvements since 2020 model year, if anything.

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
562 Posts
The sound system couldn't be easier. The stations I listen to are in favorites. I toggle the volume knob left or right to change stations. I don't need to see what station it is. My ears tell me if it's the one I want by hearing what they are playing. Not even a glance away from the road.

Want to check traffic or weather? Press big knob to get source menu. Turn knob once to go from FM to AM. Press big knob once. Now the 4 acceptable AM stations are a toggle of the volume knob away. Not even a glance away from the road.

Back to music? Press big knob. Press big knob again. Toggle volume knob to find best music at the moment. Not even a glance away from the road.

So any complaints about music may mean not using the system properly.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX30 GX AWD
13 Posts
I really wanted this vehicle to live up to the hype. I followed it to North American market but alas it has disappointed. I have given it a negative review on JD Power and Associates. Nothing but problems:(:cry:

·
Registered
2022 CX-30 AWD, Carbon Edition (CE)
185 Posts
I really wanted this vehicle to live up to the hype. I followed it to North American market but alas it has disappointed. I have given it a negative review on JD Power and Associates. Nothing but problems:(:cry:
I had various problems with my (Japan built) 2020 Toyota Corolla SE sedan that prompted me to trade it early with only 9000 miles after 2.5 years. So far, zero objective issues with my 2022 CX-30 CE (subjective preference issues are another story though), but who knows really since it is still pretty new with only 5 months & 1300 miles on it thus far. Seems like there is a serious potluck quality/reliability issue with newer cars today coming out of the factory for any manufacturer, & just a general decline in quality/reliability/materials across the board due to increased corner cutting for cost savings, loads of added tech bloat, etc. Was yours a turbo? Seems like turbo engines are a problem waiting to happen on various levels (IMO), regardless of automaker brand, so that might be another surprise coming your way at some point if you decide to keep your CX-30.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX30 GX AWD
13 Posts
I had various problems with my (Japan built) 2020 Toyota Corolla SE sedan that prompted me to trade it early with only 9000 miles after 2.5 years. So far, zero objective issues with my 2022 CX-30 CE (subjective preference issues are another story though), but who knows really since it is still pretty new with only 5 months & 1300 miles on it thus far. Seems like there is a serious potluck quality/reliability issue with newer cars today coming out of the factory for any manufacturer, & just a general decline in quality/reliability/materials across the board due to increased corner cutting for cost savings, loads of added tech bloat, etc. Was yours a turbo? Seems like turbo engines are a problem waiting to happen on various levels (IMO), regardless of automaker brand, so that might be another surprise coming your way at some point if you decide to keep your CX-30.
Mine is a GX Model. Didnt want turbo for gas mileage but a good choice not to get it for other reasons apparenlty. Yeah thats too bad about your Toyota experience. I was actually thinking of trying Toyota next if this vehicle continues to give me trouble. Keep me posted about any issues you have. I have had 7 issues :rolleyes: and since I signed on this site have discoved an 8th (the instrument panel plastic cover).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts