Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my CX-30 because I liked the styling; it has a great interior; it drives well, has decent power, has a good sound system, and supports Andriod Auto. Overall, it has good value for the money.

My other care is a 2018 Honda Accord EX 2.0 turbo which I think is a near-perfect car for its class so I can't help but use it as a benchmark for comparison to the CX-30, and yes, I know that I'm comparing cars from two different classes.

• Both cars ride well and are comfortable to drive although the Accord is a bit quieter.
  • The Honda infotainment system with a touch screen is more intuitive to use but I've gotten used to the Mazda knob and Andriod Auto adds a common approach to both cars. I do like the 'Favorite' feature on the Mazda which makes it easy to select common choices.
  • The Honda driving assist is far superior to the CX-30. Its dynamic speed control is smooth, no unwanted acceleration or rapid breaking. The Accord lane-keeping assist gently keeps the car in lane on highways and navigates bends in the road nicely, not an autopilot but it makes for very relaxed driving. The CX-30 speed control is jerky. It accelerates too quickly and breaks too harshly, and while I've grown accustomed to it, it does not inspire confidence. The CX-30 lane-keeping is rudimentary at best. If the car drifts to the edge of the lane, it gives a quick jerk back. It does not navigate bends in the road as the Accord does. The driving assist is the biggest disappointment.
  • Door auto-lock. I have the CX-30 to auto-lock the doors when I walk away. I've found this system to be unreliable. About one out of three times, the car fails to lock which means I always have to check. I'm due for an oil change soon and I plan to ask the dealer to check this, maybe a fixable problem.
  • I'm slightly annoyed by the parking brake always being set when I turn off the car. This should be a set-able option
  • I wished the rear seats would fold flat. I used to own a Honda Fit which had rear seats that folded flat making for a very useable cargo area

Overall, I'm pleased with the car. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. With a few improvements, it could be a 10 out of 10.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium Hatch polymetal gray over red/blk
273 Posts
Good review. Perfectly describes all the shortcomings in my 3's "driver aids" electronics as well. Let us know if the inconsistent walk away locking gets fixed. I just assumed it's baked in just like the poor response of the radar cruise and lane assist which make them good only for frightening myself and passengers. 7 out of 10? I agree with that too but to get 10 out of 10 a lot of faults on my 3 hatch need be addressed, chief among them , jarring big bump response and flimsy shutting rear doors. Front doors barely pass. Maybe the 30 does not suffer from those?

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 Select AWD
109 Posts
I concur with some of your observation on the driving assist feature. I don't understand why Mazda's ACC is so rough. This is my first ACC so I sort of assumed that most are the same way, aside from maybe Tesla. But it looks like it's just Mazda's short coming. As far as lane keep, it is passive. So, if Honda has an active lane keep system, where the car will steer for you to keep you in a lane, it wouldn't be a good comparison. That said, Mazda could have and should have offered an active lane keep system.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,523 Posts
depending when your vehicles was built, there is a software update (at least in Canada) with regards the MRCC system. It applies to 2019-2021 M3 produced from Sept 25, 2018 to Sept 10, 2020 and certain 2020-2021 CX-30 vehicles produced from Sept 26, 2019 through Sept 10, 2020. It is called a "Special Service Program".

"On the subject vehicles, the MRCC may accelerate or decelerate the vehicle more rapidly or abruptily in response to slower vehicles entering or exiting the MRCC field of operation. Some drivers may feel these conditions uncomfortable. The MRCC will be updated with improved software that will make the speed changes feel more natural or gradual for improved comfort."

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
1,523 Posts
the op hasn't told us which specific model he has (needs to fill out his drive info) it would give us a better idea how it compares

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 Deep Crystal Blue Mica - Premium
86 Posts
I'd say that's a pretty fair review Charlie, I'd pretty much agree with your observations on the shortcomings.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30, 2.5, FWD, Astina
6 Posts
I had the same issue with doors not locking randomly until I read the manual and understood the locking system. Haven't had a single issue since then. It's all about being within the detectable distance when the final door is closed.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 Deep Crystal Blue Mica - Premium
86 Posts
I had the same issue with doors not locking randomly until I read the manual and understood the locking system. Haven't had a single issue since then. It's all about being within the detectable distance when the final door is closed.
Thanks, I'll have to keep this in mind. It's good to know that there is someone that actually reads the manual. :)

·
Registered
G25 Touring - 2020 - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
114 Posts
Yah the safety systems are rather basic. If some car moves infront of me (most drivers think a safety distance of sitting on someone's ass is perfectly acceptable) my car will brake hard and I worry the guy sitting on my ass will collide so I don't use the cruise control as much as I would like.

Also when driving in heavy rain I've had the safety system tell me it's too difficult and it is disengaging and I should drive safe. Granted the rain was really heavy.

·
Registered
Preferred FWD / Deep Crystal Blue Mica
191 Posts
depending when your vehicles was built, there is a software update (at least in Canada) with regards the MRCC system. It applies to 2019-2021 M3 produced from Sept 25, 2018 to Sept 10, 2020 and certain 2020-2021 CX-30 vehicles produced from Sept 26, 2019 through Sept 10, 2020. It is called a "Special Service Program".

"On the subject vehicles, the MRCC may accelerate or decelerate the vehicle more rapidly or abruptily in response to slower vehicles entering or exiting the MRCC field of operation. Some drivers may feel these conditions uncomfortable. The MRCC will be updated with improved software that will make the speed changes feel more natural or gradual for improved comfort."
Mazda send me two notices last week about this, had the updates and feel that the accelerate & decelerate is more natural or gradual then before. The updates took about 1 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX 30 Premium in Soul Red
2 Posts
My wife's CX30 is just over a year old with nearly 12k miles. Overall it's been very good without any issues except one. When in traffic or accelerating when the engine is cold (both cases) the car seems jerky is the best way to describe it. The dealer feels they all do this. Anyone else have this issue? If it's already been discussed, my apologies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased my CX-30 because I liked the styling; it has a great interior; it drives well, has decent power, has a good sound system, and supports Andriod Auto. Overall, it has good value for the money.

My other care is a 2018 Honda Accord EX 2.0 turbo which I think is a near-perfect car for its class so I can't help but use it as a benchmark for comparison to the CX-30, and yes, I know that I'm comparing cars from two different classes.

• Both cars ride well and are comfortable to drive although the Accord is a bit quieter.
  • The Honda infotainment system with a touch screen is more intuitive to use but I've gotten used to the Mazda knob and Andriod Auto adds a common approach to both cars. I do like the 'Favorite' feature on the Mazda which makes it easy to select common choices.
  • The Honda driving assist is far superior to the CX-30. Its dynamic speed control is smooth, no unwanted acceleration or rapid breaking. The Accord lane-keeping assist gently keeps the car in lane on highways and navigates bends in the road nicely, not an autopilot but it makes for very relaxed driving. The CX-30 speed control is jerky. It accelerates too quickly and breaks too harshly, and while I've grown accustomed to it, it does not inspire confidence. The CX-30 lane-keeping is rudimentary at best. If the car drifts to the edge of the lane, it gives a quick jerk back. It does not navigate bends in the road as the Accord does. The driving assist is the biggest disappointment.
  • Door auto-lock. I have the CX-30 to auto-lock the doors when I walk away. I've found this system to be unreliable. About one out of three times, the car fails to lock which means I always have to check. I'm due for an oil change soon and I plan to ask the dealer to check this, maybe a fixable problem.
  • I'm slightly annoyed by the parking brake always being set when I turn off the car. This should be a set-able option
  • I wished the rear seats would fold flat. I used to own a Honda Fit which had rear seats that folded flat making for a very useable cargo area

Overall, I'm pleased with the car. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. With a few improvements, it could be a 10 out of 10.
I totally agree with your review. I’ve had mine for 6 weeks and have all the same issues. It does the simple things badly and the complicated things quite well.

·
Registered
2021 cx30 (100 yr edition)
174 Posts

Yes I agree with you @Charlie
The infotainment system is NOT intuitive and you have to take your eyes off the road to use it. I haven't tried the Favourites option yet but that may help.
I've found the auto-door lock intermittent in being effective.

All in all, I like the car and will keep it.
What frustrates is the tendency for some posters on here to have rose-coloured spectacles when it comes to answering posts on reader's comments or problems. Only a few, the majority are helpful and I've had good advice from them.

·
Registered
Enter your CX30 year, model and engine.
64 Posts
Yes I agree with you @Charlie
The infotainment system is NOT intuitive and you have to take your eyes off the road to use it. I haven't tried the Favourites option yet but that may help.
I think that depends on what you're used to... coming from the BMW iDrive, I find touchscreens incredibly more distracting. And also the ACC, I have the chance to test-drive a lot of cars and I've seen better, but also much much worse:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30
6 Posts
I think that depends on what you're used to... coming from the BMW iDrive, I find touchscreens incredibly more distracting. And also the ACC, I have the chance to test-drive a lot of cars and I've seen better, but also much much worse:ROFLMAO:
I’ve listed some things that I don’t like earlier in response to a question on accelerator not reacting…but I will mention others that have also been submitted:
No USB in rear
Back too small for 16-year old girl
Automatic locking unreliable
Speed control jerky and hard to set on a specific number
Sometime parking brake puts itself on and sometimes it doesn't
I’ll look for the Special Service Program update
Have to take eyes off road to adjust eg fan speed for aircon. A knob would be better
Outside mirror is in a very poor position. Needs driver to lean forward or back to look around it
When try to get cruise control back to speed after braking, it’s very slow to return.

·
Registered
Enter your CX30 year, model and engine.
64 Posts
I’ve listed some things that I don’t like earlier in response to a question on accelerator not reacting…but I will mention others that have also been submitted:
No USB in rear
Back too small for 16-year old girl
Automatic locking unreliable
Speed control jerky and hard to set on a specific number
Sometime parking brake puts itself on and sometimes it doesn't
I’ll look for the Special Service Program update
Have to take eyes off road to adjust eg fan speed for aircon. A knob would be better
Outside mirror is in a very poor position. Needs driver to lean forward or back to look around it
When try to get cruise control back to speed after braking, it’s very slow to return.
The USB chapter is so annoying. Not only no USB in rear. No USB-C at all, only one outlet in the console, not enough power...

For automatic locking, are you sure you wait for the beep before leaving? I found out that was the problem most of the times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.