Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.

I've just joined this forum. I ordered a CX-30 last weekend and in the meantime I've been reading more details about it.

I'm 42 (close to 43), single, living in The Netherlands (but I'm from Portugal).

I'm not new to Mazda: I currently drive a 2014 Mazda 3 Sedan, Skyactiv-G 120, top trim (called GT-M over here). I also have a 2002 Mazda 3 hatchback in Portugal, which is still running perfectly, that I use when I go there for vacations and visit family - it is also used by my dad on small errands around town (he has a bigger car for longer drives).

About my 3... after 7 years and 90.000 km (56.000 miles), I've decided to look for a new car. I don't drive that much and usually I'm alone in the car, so it is in great condition (I have more fingers in my hands than the number of people who sat in my passenger's seat). However, I'm starting to feel a bit tired about it and it's starting to show its age in some details, as well as equipment and design. I've also been struggling more and more with getting in and out of the low seat, even though I'm a fit person and don't really have any chronic issues. I've therefore decided I wanted an SUV/CUV this time.

Because cars are getting really expensive, I started by looking at a smaller size to save some money: in reality, I don't need a big car. So I snooped around the CX-3, but quickly dismissed it since it feels very much like my own 3, but smaller and taller. I then looked at the competition, and booked 4 test drives for the following: Renault Captur, Ford Puma, Peugeot 2008 and Volkswagen T-Roc. All of them were a huge disappointment in their own ways - in general, way too expensive for what they offer and all equipped with crap 3-cylinder turbo engines that make a lot of noise and a lot of horsepower, but aren't necessarily more pleasant to drive. The build quality was abysmal.

So I've then decided to look at the new generation Mazda 3. The main reason was price: much more in reach of what I was willing to spend, ending up cheaper than those tested before - I was basically avoiding the "fashion" tax of the CUVs. It wouldn't solve the low seat issue, but at least I'd have a much nicer car that I could enjoy. Consequently I decided to visit my Mazda dealer and get an offer for the new 3, and how much they would give me for my trade-in. I had already offers from the other brands I tested, so I had a reference and some numbers and boundaries in mind. After confirming the details of the new car and his "traditional" discussion "in the back" with his boss (dealers in Europe are not the stereotypical charlatans from Hollywood movies, but they still make a bit of theater), he came back with a WAY BETTER offer for my trade-in than I had received from the other brands. It was so good that, suddenly, even the CX-30 was within my pre-determined boundaries!

So yes, we went back to the drawing board and made the configuration of the CX-30 (I had tested it about 1 year ago, when I brought in my 3 for service, so I knew the car already quite well). I settled for the top engine available here (the Skyactiv X with 186 hp, including the mild hybrid thingy) and top trim because that was the only option to get the iActive Sense package (which is a must for me). I could've done without the 18" wheels and leather seats (I have them on my current car and they're just a nice-to-have) but since they are included in the top trim, I'm getting them.

I was struggling with a color decision: I love the Machine Grey metallic color, but I also love the Soul Red Crystal (that's the color I wanted for my 3, but I would have to wait more than 6 months to get it so I went with Titanium Grey, which was available). I went back home to sleep over it and decided that I was going to follow my heart: Soul Red Crystal!! Went back to the dealer next day to sign the papers, and I'm currently waiting for delivery - they told me 2-4 weeks, since the car is reserved for the dealer in the Port of Antwerp and needs to be transported and prepared, so I'm 1 week into the waiting.

Now it's time to explore the forum a bit more (I've read a few topics already as guest) and hopefully I'll be able to share pics very soon, when I have it.

Feel free to shoot any questions or tips!

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 SP (Sport Plus)
752 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Thailand, Congratulations on your new Mazda. I too had a 2014 Mazda 3 with 60k kilometers which I sold it to the Mazda sales manager as he was looking for a car for his nephew to drive to school. He made a good dealer on my new 30.

·
Registered
Current Mazdas: 15 Mazda3, 16 Mazda2, 19 Mazda3 and 3 prior Mazdas
113 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your purchase. While the CX-30 gives you the extra height you are looking for it won’t have the truck like drive of most SUVs.

Good luck. I am looking forward to hearing how you like it when you bring it home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.