Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as requested by other members on the forum I am doing my in depth comparison review so hang on with is going to be long.. lol and grammar is going out the window..
One week almost of having my Brand new Mazda 3 100th anniversary edition sport and i am in love with it... in fact allot more then when i first got the cx-30 i had and best of all This car is MADE IN JAPAN!
The mazda 3 sport feels allot more refined then the cx-30 I have no creaks or rattles... It jsut feels so well put together.. much more then the cx-30 and both are AWD with only a 1.4 inch ground clearance difference.
The Turbo engine is fantastic... so much so i have to watch my speed all the time LOL gets up to speed like nothing.
I don't know why but the transmission is so much better by far.. something is different with the software on it or something.. The shifts are always smooth with no shift shock and almost CVT smooth..the correct gear is used all the time.. Downshifts quickly when you need to accelerate.. I found the CX-30 you would really have to drive your foot into the accelerator or it would just sit in the wrong gear giving a very slow lax slow acceleration and now i know I now have a huge HP difference now but that shouldnt have anything to do with the transmission behavior.
I have never felt a transmission shift so smoothly like it dose on the mazda 3. turbo sport... I found the the Shift shock pretty bad at times on the cx-30 and it was never consistent right from day one and even with a PCM software update which helped fix some of the transmission glitches it is night and day better on the Mazda 3 sport and btw i tested drove a non turbo.. and it was still better..
I now have full 360 camera view with front parking sensors which OMG are amazing! so easy to park and get in and out of hard spots and can see places tou cant see looking our the front windshield.
I can only speak for the Re-tuned AWD system on the turbo mazda 3 sport from a summer perspective but i can say it really throws allot more power to the rear around corners and really tucks the back end in while taking it at a higher spirited driving speed making it effortless going around the corner with little to no under steer corrections. I tried it in the pouring rain and it did absolute wonders throwing more then enough power to the rear to help it rotate with the front so whatever they re tuned on the turbo mazda 3 is allot better then what i experienced on my past cx-30.
Fuel mileage appears to be about the same but i cant fully tell yet as I haven't had the new car for to long but the tank of gas from the dealer is at just slightly under half 250 something odd KM with 260 km on the ODO so still super brand new but with the 250 HP and huge torque increase i have to say I am fairly happy the gas mileage is barely any different.
In my opinion the mazda 3 feels like it is built allot better quality for some reason over the cx-30 and im not sure weather its the fact its made in japan or its because i had the first year the cx-30 came out... but it just feels better.. I started to get a creaking noise from my drivers side door over sharp turns when the suspension would have weight on one side or any articulation.. and i went to visit a friend a couple of times.
I was alarmed when i went to open my drivers door and their driveway is kinda wavy so the suspension was pressed little bit more on one side with weight then the other and my driver door was sticking to open... I am like what.. flex in the sub-frame or something ..just was not a good impression... the door should not stick on such scinario.. I have tried the exact thing on the new mazda 3 I have and absolute no issues .. door opens and closes like a luxury well built car.. its solid
the car also has much sportier feeling suspension which is allot more stiffer then the cx-30 which is what i like and tires are allot lower profile.
the tire pressure also is set slightly different front the back to front and its supposed to be like that as per the drivers side door sticker.. its something like 38 front and 36 back.. or something like that i cant recall exact numbers rn haha. But every time i see member's on here complaining about the stiff ride of the cx 30 I chuckle as its soft to me in comparison to the stiff sporty suspension of the mazda 3 sport turbo and it hugs the road like a boss around corners.. and little to no body roll I love it.

I did also learn this time to suck it up and get the entire front end with PPF for stone chips which to me was well worth the 1300 bux and with the ceramic coating I got a deal at the shop i always deal with and it came to 1800 bux for both full frontal PPF and full vehicle ceramic coating and well worth the money to me.. the PPF is self healing to.

Overall the mazda 3 sport Turbo with AWD is the better choice for me.. cargo space is just as good if not little better then the cx 30 as its a little wider it feels like to me.
I hope i didnt miss anything in my review but any question... Please comment away!

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX-30 GS AWD Crystal Blue Mica
65 Posts
Glad you're enjoying the 3. I've had several 3's over the years and it certainly is a great car, especially the new one which I'm sure beats the CX-30 as a driver's car, but I've never experienced any of the problems you mention with my CX-30. Maybe I'm not as sensitive to you to driving differences, but it makes me think you just got a bit of a lemon with your CX-30. Anyway sorry you no longer have the 30 as I've enjoyed your posts on it.

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you're enjoying the 3. I've had several 3's over the years and it certainly is a great car, especially the new one which I'm sure beats the CX-30 as a driver's car, but I've never experienced any of the problems you mention with my CX-30. Maybe I'm not as sensitive to you to driving differences, but it makes me think you just got a bit of a lemon with your CX-30. Anyway sorry you no longer have the 30 as I've enjoyed your posts on it.
Hey thx 😊 don't get me wrong I liked my CX 30..I was ok with some of the .. I will call them defects... But yah in comparison the 3 feels allot more refined right to the way the doors close ... And I will continue to be a part of the CX 30 forum and contribute as the Mazda 3 is built on the same platform.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Maybe something has changed for 2021 vs my 2020 3 premium. I cannot compare the CX 30 directly with the 3 as you can having never owned the 30. But I can say the front door closing solidity of the 3 hatch is mediocre at best and back doors when closed impart a much flimsier feel as compared to my 2006 3 sedan and my 2017 CX5, but similar to my 2014 3 sedan. A real turnoff is way the entire panel around the fuel filler door flexes with only enough pressure on the door cover to open or close it against the latch.

The ground clearance difference between the 30 and the 3 hatch in North America is 2.5 inches not the 1.4 you mention. I suspect you are comparing the Euro 30 with N.American 3.
Euro 30 has 6.9 inches of clearance vs N.Amercan's 8 inches. I have seen this mistake stated by "journalist" on more than one publication/video, so perhaps you were misinformed there.

I love the red carpets and mats of the anniversary edition, but prefer the red dash and door panels in my the 3 premium hatch.
Overall I prefer the interior of the 3 over the 30 which though more airy feeling is not as intimately sporty or premium feeling (door panels, especially in the back, dash panels, speaker grills). And no red available. Its all pretty close and subjective though. I prefer the brown/white/black CX 30 interior to the all back 3 interior so I can be swayed by colors alone.
Rear air vents in the 30 are a big plus.
A few guys over on the 3 forum are knocking themselves out trying to adapt Euro 3 rear vents to their N. American versions

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah for a driver's car especially with the turbo is much better and for some reason the transmission is way way more smooth out.. buttery smooth not like the CX 30s jerky behavior.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The entire front end of the car is PPF too .. done with stone chips no more.. also got the door sell the ppf so that way when passengers get in and out they don't scratch that and the entire car has a ceramic coating on it. At least my cx-30 so I didn't want to spend the money on it for complete paint protection just the ceramic coating but this car I bought it out right because I don't want to have to worry about mileage limits anymore.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30
10 Posts
I had a 2020 Mazda 3 for a year before getting the CX-30. The 3 was more fun to drive as expected but the quality control was about the same with the exception of the paint. The paint on the 30 is almost flawless where the 3 had a few issues under the clearcoat. To my surprise, I'm happier with the 30 even though I've given up a bit of the driving experience from the 3. Hard to go wrong with any Mazda if we know our priorities from the start.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a 2020 Mazda 3 for a year before getting the CX-30. The 3 was more fun to drive as expected but the quality control was about the same with the exception of the paint. The paint on the 30 is almost flawless where the 3 had a few issues under the clearcoat. To my surprise, I'm happier with the 30 even though I've given up a bit of the driving experience from the 3. Hard to go wrong with any Mazda if we know our priorities from the start.
Having a professional detailing experience and training I found more paint defects like a dust nib on the CX 30 that I had on the front quarter panel then what iv found on the Mazda 3 made in japan... The paint seems better done with barely any imperfections.. I'm not really sure what else to say in regards to that other then I had creaking and rattling noises on th CX 30 from new .. it was made in the newer Mexico assembly plant and I'm not sure if that really makes a difference or not but the Mazda 3 I have is built right in the main plant on japan and have none of the issues I had with creaking and rattles that I did on the CX 30.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having a professional detailing experience I found more paint defects like a dust nib on the CX 30 that I had on the front quarter panel then what iv found on the Mazda 3 made in japan... The paint seems better done with barely any imperfections.. I'm not really sure what else to say in regards to that other then I had creaking and rattling noises on th CX 30 from new .. it was made in the newer Mexico assembly plant and I'm not sure if that really makes a difference or not but the Mazda 3 I have is built right in the main plant on japan and have none of the issues I had with creaking and rattles that I did on the CX 30.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30
10 Posts
Having a professional detailing experience and training I found more paint defects like a dust nib on the CX 30 that I had on the front quarter panel then what iv found on the Mazda 3 made in japan...
I detailed both vehicles so I was comparing apples to apples. A lot of factors go into vehicles. Where it's built is one of them but by no means, the most important. I've owned Japanese built vehicles that had issues including paint. You're happy with your car and I'm happy with mine. That's all that matters.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I detailed both vehicles so I was comparing apples to apples. A lot of factors go into vehicles. Where it's built is one of them but by no means, the most important. I've owned Japanese built vehicles that had issues including paint. You're happy with your car and I'm happy with mine. That's all that matters.
Yah I was just trying to compare and hopefully I wasn't talking down to anyone.. not my intention but I find it interesting to compare tho ☺ you would think with paint being done by robotics now that it would almost make paint imperfections non existent but that's not the case as there is just to many variables that can happen... I recall on my CX 30 there was a paint sort of blob on the one edge just above the lift gate ..the size of a bread crumb.. I was surprised to see that .. but yah glad we are both happy with our cars and I wanted to share my experience.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Having a professional detailing experience I found more paint defects like a dust nib on the CX 30 that I had on the front quarter panel then what iv found on the Mazda 3 made in japan... The paint seems better done with barely any imperfections.. I'm not really sure what else to say in regards to that other then I had creaking and rattling noises on th CX 30 from new .. it was made in the newer Mexico assembly plant and I'm not sure if that really makes a difference or not but the Mazda 3 I have is built right in the main plant on japan and have none of the issues I had with creaking and rattles that I did on the CX 30.
I couldn't believe all of the junk in the factory clear coat on my 30. I posted a pic or two in another thread, of all of the wet sanded spots on my 30 as I was prepping it for ceramic coating.

·
Registered
G25 Touring - 2020 - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
88 Posts
The 3 is a beautiful car. I like the clearance of the CX30 as well as the higher riding position. Yah I prefer the style of the 3 but for peace of mind I got the 30. SUVs are the way to go.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan SE (6-MT)
8 Posts
I'm considering a 2022 CX-30 in the near future, as I want a compact-class vehicle (I prefer smaller vehicles) with a higher, softer ride, plus a hatch again. I admit that I am not a fan of the weird "hunchback" styling of the latest Mazda3 hatch, not to mention it's lower ride height & stiffer/rougher ride on all but good roads (my 2020 Corolla SE 6-MT sedan has the same issues with it's 18" wheels & 40 profile tires). I'm at the age (56) where I want something more relaxed & practical, plus I'm finally ready for an automatic after having driven nothing but manual since my first vehicle in 1982. The regular 6-speed automatics of Mazda is one of the biggest selling points for me on their vehicles, since I just don't trust a budget-oriented push-belt CVT design to last much longer than an extended powertrain warranty.

Reactions: detailcarguy

·
Registered
2021 CX-30
10 Posts
I'm considering a 2022 CX-30 in the near future, as I want a compact-class vehicle (I prefer smaller vehicles) with a higher, softer ride, plus a hatch again. I admit that I am not a fan of the weird "hunchback" styling of the latest Mazda3 hatch, not to mention it's lower ride height & stiffer/rougher ride on all but good roads (my 2020 Corolla SE 6-MT sedan has the same issues with it's 18" wheels & 40 profile tires). I'm at the age (56) where I want something more relaxed & practical, plus I'm finally ready for an automatic after having driven nothing but manual since my first vehicle in 1982. The regular 6-speed automatics of Mazda is one of the biggest selling points for me on their vehicles, since I just don't trust a budget-oriented push-belt CVT design to last much longer than an extended powertrain warranty.
If you're going to finance, waiting for the 2022 is a good strategy. Mazda finance (Toyota) has dialed back the incentives due to the vehicle shortage. By the time the 22's come out, things may be better sorted out.
I didn't find the difference in ride quality very different between my 3 & the 30. A bit softer with the 30 but not something I'd notice day to day.
The beauty of the 6-speed auto is it's reliability. It's been around several years and the kinks, if there were any, have been all ironed out. Some folks think it hunts too much but I haven't found that to be a problem. I have the non-turbo which is the one folks complain about the most.
Post back when you have your new wheels.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol rn I'm fighting a bit with th dealership for their poor washing technique and they oh joy installed swirl marks to no surprise and I pointed that out on delivery day .. so they can't say it's my fault lol and I told them to be careful haha so they are now sending it to a professional body shop for paint correction and have to pay to have the professional cernaic coating put back on .. and they know to not polish the PPF .. lol as the shop that did the PPF did paint correction before they did the PPF and it looks great but the rest of the vehicle ouch swirl marks city lol . I'm not settling till its fixed lol .. may this be a lesson for them 🤣

1 - 16 of 16 Posts