Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Preferred Snowflake AWD
53 Posts
I have a question...

Can the card not be updated to the latest maps BEFORE connecting to the vehicle?

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium Polymetal Gray Metallic
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a question...

Can the card not be updated to the latest maps BEFORE connecting to the vehicle?
When I first put in my Navigation SD card in mine, I somehow misread the instructions and put the sliding switch on the card to the locked position. Navigation worked despite what I did, but later when I tried to update the maps it wouldn’t allow me to. Then I realized my mistake with the lock switch on the card, I moved it to the unlock position, but it still wouldn’t update.

I then put the card back in my car (switch in the correct, unlocked position), started the car up and drove around the block. I then tried to update the map and it worked. So, based on my experience, I would say it won’t update the maps before it’s “connected” to the vehicle. My guess is the car writes to the SD car information such as the vin number to prevent it from being used in multiple vehicles. I’m still curious why Navigation worked in my car initially when I had the switch in the locked position.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I first put in my Navigation SD card in mine, I somehow misread the instructions and put the sliding switch on the card to the locked position. Navigation worked despite what I did, but later when I tried to update the maps it wouldn’t allow me to. Then I realized my mistake with the lock switch on the card, I moved it to the unlock position, but it still wouldn’t update.

I then put the card back in my car (switch in the correct, unlocked position), started the car up and drove around the block. I then tried to update the map and it worked. So, based on my experience, I would say it won’t update the maps before it’s “connected” to the vehicle. My guess is the car writes to the SD car information such as the vin number to prevent it from being used in multiple vehicles. I’m still curious why Navigation worked in my car initially when I had the switch in the locked position.
That makes sense. Thank you.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So you're updating the maps right from the car? I was told by my dealer I'd need to put it in a PC to run updates. They also mentioned we only get a limited number of free map updates (3 maybe?)… but now I'm not sure my dealer knows what they're talking about. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
So you're updating the maps right from the car? I was told by my dealer I'd need to put it in a PC to run updates. They also mentioned we only get a limited number of free map updates (3 maybe?)… but now I'm not sure my dealer knows what they're talking about. :)
The SD card can only be updated via a PC. And we get 3 years worth of updates for free. Right now, the latest version is as of Dec 2019.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 Premium Polymetal Gray Metallic
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Sorry about any confusion (edit: and my not seeing the previous response) I didn’t update the Navigation SD card in my car. There is a update program you download from the Mazda web site that you install on a PC, then use a SD card reader attached to your PC. Follow the instructions in the program to update the card. I believe you get 3 years of map updates and there are typically updated twice a year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got the SD card today via eBay. "Locked" it to the vehicle and updated to the latest maps. Not the fastest process in the world, but everything seems to work properly.

·
Registered
CX30 2020 Premium Jet Black Mica
28 Posts
thanks for the info (have you got the link), I don't know what Mazda US wants for their SD nav card but in Canada they want a staggering $569 for the card - that's insane - how can they justify that!
Around $400.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts