Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium (Polymetal Gray)
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My name is Mark and I'm retired Navy living in Virginia Beach. I'm picking up a 2021 CX30 Turbo Premium sometime this week and have some questions. I've driven Mazdas for years and have the utmost confidence in their reliability. I currently have an ND2 Miata that is flawless, but back problems are forcing me to make a switch. It's a sad day because nothing comes close to a Miata for driving fun, but this looks close. I've only even seen the CX-30 on the website, so I'm going to look at one and order the color I want this morning.

Are there any concerns with this new engine and the turbo?

Do you need to leave a turbo car running for a few minutes before you shut it down......like we had to in the past?

Does this new DI engine dual port a little fuel to the back of the intake valves to mitigate buildup concerns like in normal DI engines? I know Mazda conquered that by running higher temps on the Skyactiv, but this engine is new, right?

They're wired for remote start, but do I need to buy the FOB and have it programmed or do I just have to use Mazda Connect forever (and pay the monthly fee) if I want to remote start?

Are there any serious gripes about any issues with these cars? Consumer Reports says they're solid. Every review I can find says the same. I'm leery of Turbo'd cars, so I'm just asking. The interior looks amazing. I know the back seats are very small, that's ok. I hear they are amazingly quiet and noise control is quite well done. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated!

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium Hatch polymetal gray over red/blk
273 Posts
Hello, My name is Mark and I'm retired Navy living in Virginia Beach. I'm picking up a 2021 CX30 Turbo Premium sometime this week and have some questions. I've driven Mazdas for years and have the utmost confidence in their reliability. I currently have an ND2 Miata that is flawless, but back problems are forcing me to make a switch. It's a sad day because nothing comes close to a Miata for driving fun, but this looks close. I've only even seen the CX-30 on the website, so I'm going to look at one and order the color I want this morning.

Are there any concerns with this new engine and the turbo?

Do you need to leave a turbo car running for a few minutes before you shut it down......like we had to in the past?

Does this new DI engine dual port a little fuel to the back of the intake valves to mitigate buildup concerns like in normal DI engines? I know Mazda conquered that by running higher temps on the Skyactiv, but this engine is new, right?

They're wired for remote start, but do I need to buy the FOB and have it programmed or do I just have to use Mazda Connect forever (and pay the monthly fee) if I want to remote start?

Are there any serious gripes about any issues with these cars? Consumer Reports says they're solid. Every review I can find says the same. I'm leery of Turbo'd cars, so I'm just asking. The interior looks amazing. I know the back seats are very small, that's ok. I hear they are amazingly quiet and noise control is quite well done. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated!

Thank you very much!
Don't frett.
This is not a new engine. Maybe you mean new to the CX-30? Every CX-9 since 2016 has been delivered with it. Consumer Reports gives it 5 out of 5 for reliability. That engine will never be worked as hard in the CX 30 which weighs a whopping 900lbs less. Somehow I doubt most soccer moms idle cool their CX 9 turbos after arriving back from the games. At only 250 hp (93 octane) with 2.5 liters displacement, and a low RPM power peak , it is inherently stressed less than the 1.5 and 2 liter turbos most companies would put in a car of this size.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't frett.
This is not a new engine. Maybe you mean new to the CX-30? Every CX-9 since 2016 has been delivered with it. Consumer Reports gives it 5 out of 5 for reliability. That engine will never be worked as hard in the CX 30 which weighs at least a whopping 900lbs less. Somehow I doubt soccer mom's idle cool their CX 9 turbos after arriving back from the games. At only 250 hp (93 octane) with 2.5 liters displacement, and a low RPM power peak , it is inherently stressed less than the 1.5 and 2 liter turbos most companies would put in a car of this size.
Thank you! It's reassuring. Like I said, I have nothing but good things to say about Mazda products. I've owned two Mazda 3's and two Miatas (ND1 and ND2). Can't wait! They have to find my Polymetal Gray and get it shipped here. Turns out they're not easy to find. Do the cars come with the remote start FOB, or should I call the dealer now and buy them so they can be programmed?

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
829 Posts
Welcome to CX30Talk. I hope we've answered your questions for you.

Please take a moment and update your profile. This helps you if you ask questions about your car and helps others know what car you have so they can give you the best answer. Complete your profile like this:
  1. Go to top right, click on your avatar then click on Account Settings
  2. Then in Location field, enter your ‘Location’ (The town and country you live in).
  3. In Vehicle Details: enter your CX-30 details.
  4. Scroll down to the bottom and click on Save
If you are new to forums, or the format of this forum, then read our introduction here.
For reference, here are our Forum Rules

The main areas of the forum are shown here with a short explanation of how they are used:
There are many other forums all of which can be seen by clicking on the Forums icon to the left of your Avatar.
If you want the latest posts on the forum, click on the New icon to the left of the Forums icon.
Look across the banner at the top and you'll see three vertical dots on the right. Click there for fast access to the forum sections

Above all - enjoy yourself.

Martin (Administrator)

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 SP (Sport Plus)
752 Posts
I would call your dealer regarding the remote start. That option is not available here in Thailand. Regarding the turbo,
unless you are tracking your car and driving at the limit for several laps there is no need to let your turbo spool down. If you are tracking a turbo car I would give about 15-30 seconds for the turbo to spool down and cool.

Happy motoring from a Vietnam veteran living in Thailand. Thank you for your service brother.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would call your dealer regarding the remote start. That option is not available here in Thailand. Regarding the turbo,
unless you are tracking your car and driving at the limit for several laps there is no need to let your turbo spool down. If you are tracking a turbo car I would give about 15-30 seconds for the turbo to spool down and cool.

Happy motoring from a Vietnam veteran living in Thailand. Thank you for your service brother.
And thank you for your service, brother! The US versions are all wired for remote start. I've been through this before with GM products. All of their trucks are "wired" for remote start, but you soon learn you have to buy the FOBs and have them programmed (about $300). Mazda connect is listed as coming with the car for three years, and you can remote start with your cell phone and monitor many things. It becomes a subscription at that point and I don't want to fiddle with my cell phone to remote start my car. I'd rather have the button on the FOB.

The question of the day right now for me.....before I go to the dealer this morning and put down my deposit so they can find my car (the turbo premium in poly metal gray isn't easy to find, as it turns out), is DOES THIS CAR HAVE CYLINDER DEACTIVATION? If it does, it's a NON-starter with me and I won't buy it. Internet research indicates it's something Mazda is quiet about, it's not on the spec sheet either. But then again, it wasn't on the spec sheets for previous model year Mazdas that actually had it. Even the dealer I'm working through couldn't answer that question for me yesterday. So, it will be interesting this morning to hear what they have to say and I'll want that in writing. I've had horrible issues with this type of "deactivation" system with my GMC Sierra gumming up cylinders and fouling plugs.....at 48K miles no less. And from what I understand, it cannot be turned off by the owner.

·
Registered
Current Mazdas: 15 Mazda3, 16 Mazda2, 19 Mazda3 and 3 prior Mazdas
113 Posts
I currently have 3 Mazdas, two with the 2.5 non-turbo and the other with a 1.5 also non turbo. They are as reliable as they come. My 15 Mazda3 with 100,000 miles is as good as new. The 2.5 turbo is as reliable as the non-turbo from everything I have heard from those who have owned them in CX-5s and CX-9s for a few years.

Drive sensible for a few minutes before you park and you should be fine. I wouldn’t rev it to 5,000 as you are pulling into the driveway but otherwise you should be fine.

Did you look at the turbo Mazda3? That might be a little closer to your MX-5 for driving dynamics.

In the US, the app for remote start (and a dozen other features (my front tire pressure is 38 and 36 in the rear and I have 38% of a full tank of gas, the doors are locked and the trunk is closed as I type)) is worth having. I have no idea what it will cost after 36 months but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.