Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

New CX30 Owner from Thailand

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Rdrokit 
#1 ·
Hello to all. Just traded in a 2014 Mazda 3 for a new CX30 top spec model which in Thailand is a SP model (Sport Plus). Unfortunately in Thailand we are limited on engine choices. The only engine available here is the Japan spec 2 liter motor with 165 hp.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello to all. Just traded in a 2014 Mazda 3 for a new CX30 top spec model which in Thailand is a SP model (Sport Plus). Unfortunately in Thailand we are limited on engine choices. The only engine available here is the Japan spec 2 liter motor with 165 hp.
View attachment 580
Welcome to the forum , it’s strange that you don’t have the choice of 2.5 ltr. Engine as Australia cx30 which has both engines are made in Thailand

#4 ·
The 2.5 engine is only available in the top spec CX5 and it's the turbo engine. The base CX5 here has the 2 liter engine same as the CX30. Has to do with the way they tax car makers here....they tax by the size of the engine. Most other brands like Nissan and Toyota are running 1.6 and 1.8 liter engines.

#6 ·
I was real happy during the 6 years I had with my 2014 Mazda 3 so Mazda was my first choice. I looked at the top spec CX5 with the 2.5 liter turbo engine but it was 650,000 baht (about $21,000 US) more that the top spec CX30. I could not justify the price increase as the only differences, at least here in Thailand, were cooled seats, AWD and the engine. MY wife actually likes the CX30 over the CX5 as it is more like driving the 3 in size.
Cars are NOT cheap in Thailand as cars NOT assembled in Thailand are subject to a 328% import tax. Cars assembled in Thailand are also expensive as the parts are charged a 30% import tax. My CX30 cost 1,199,000 + 10,000 for the white paint which is about $39,000 US. The top spec CX5 is 1,850,000 + 10,000 or about $60,000.
Another thing here in Thailand is there are no trade ins as new car dealers only sell new cars. So if you want to sell your present car you need a private buyer or take a beating with the price a used car dealer offers you. I was lucky as the manager of the Mazda dealership had a niece who was looking for a car and she bought mine for $14,500 US, it only had 58,000 km (about 36,000 miles).

#9 ·
Up until Dec 31, 2019 you could import a used car at a discounted tax. The older the car the less the tax, Flatten out after 10 years old at 100%. Starting this year no one can import a used car anymore, only new cars. Here is a listing for a 2020 Ford Mustang which is not assembled in Thailand so it is hit with the 328% import tax plus dealer markup. The price is in Thai baht which is about 31 baht to the dollar so a 6 cylinder Mustang costs $117,741 US dollars. Only very rich Thais can afford a car not assembled in Thailand.
If that's for the V6 I'm afraid to see what a V8 Mustang would go for. :oops:

#10 ·
If that's for the V6 I'm afraid to see what a V8 Mustang would go for. :oops:
Nope that's the Ecoboost 4 cylinder. The V8 is about 5 million baht (about $150,000 US). This is why all except the extreme rich drive cars assembled in Thailand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.