Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

New Mazda cx30 owner / battery charging /e skyactiv x engine .

7K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  PeterK 
#1 ·
Hi All

I’m in the UK and the owner of new cx30. Only had a few months . It’s the e-skyavtiv x model 2l engine . It’s a lovely car and very comfortable . Mazda have done a great job with this car.
Are the models there mild hybrids too , sorry if a bit of a silly question .Does the battery actually charge whilst engine on and on park position .Or is it only charged whilst pressing break. How can you see how much charge the battery has ? It’s the first time I’ve driven a mild hybrid 😑. Do you guys have the e skyactiv x engine there and what does everyone think ?

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new CX-30. Happy to help discuss the MHEV I have with my SkyActivX engine, but first:

If you are new to forums, or the format of this forum, then read our introduction here.
For reference, here are our Forum Rules

The main areas of the forum are shown here with a short explanation of how they are used:
  • The General Discussion area is for questions and discussions about your CX-30
  • The DIY area is for full instructions with pictures to guide other members carrying out their own servicing.
  • The Modification area is for discussions about making your car different.
  • The Complaints, Issues And Problems area is for you to address a specific issue with your CX-30
  • The CX‌-30 News area for the latest news and updates for the CX‌-30
There are many other forums all of which can be seen by clicking on the Forums icon to the left of your Avatar.If you want the latest posts on the forum, click on the New icon to the left of the Forums icon.

Look across the banner at the top and you'll see three vertical dots on the right. Click there for fast access to the forum sections

Above all - enjoy yourself.

Martin (Administrator)

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new CX-30. Happy to help discuss the MHEV I have with my SkyActivX engine, but first:

Please take a moment and update your profile. This helps you if you ask questions about your car and helps others know what car you have so they can give you the best answer. Complete your profile like this:
  1. Go to top right, click on your avatar then click on Account Settings
  2. Then in Location field, enter your ‘Location’ (The town and country you live in).
  3. In Vehicle Details: enter your CX-30 model, engine and year.
  4. Scroll down to the bottom and click on Save
If you are new to forums, or the format of this forum, then read our introduction here.
For reference, here are our Forum Rules

The main areas of the forum are shown here with a short explanation of how they are used:
  • The General Discussion area is for questions and discussions about your CX-30
  • The DIY area is for full instructions with pictures to guide other members carrying out their own servicing.
  • The Modification area is for discussions about making your car different.
  • The Complaints, Issues And Problems area is for you to address a specific issue with your CX-30
  • The CX‌-30 News area for the latest news and updates for the CX‌-30
There are many other forums all of which can be seen by clicking on the Forums icon to the left of your Avatar.If you want the latest posts on the forum, click on the New icon to the left of the Forums icon.

Look across the banner at the top and you'll see three vertical dots on the right. Click there for fast access to the forum sections

Above all - enjoy yourself.

Martin (Administrator)
Hi Martin
Have I set up my profile correct or am I not active yet ?

#5 ·
Hi All

I’m in the UK and the owner of new cx30. Only had a few months . It’s the e-skyavtiv x model 2l engine . It’s a lovely car and very comfortable . Mazda have done a great job with this car.
Are the models there mild hybrids too , sorry if a bit of a silly question .Does the battery actually charge whilst engine on and on park position .Or is it only charged whilst pressing break. How can you see how much charge the battery has ? It’s the first time I’ve driven a mild hybrid 😑. Do you guys have the e skyactiv x engine there and what does everyone think ?
The Hybrid battery charges on braking and when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal, go to the info screen , from main menu select info and there's a screen that actively works as you drive to show you the hybrid battery charging and status (y)

#6 ·
Thank you again for your comment . Oh I see . So it charges when you put your foot off the accelerator as well . I thought only charges when you stop and the I stop comes on and when you apply the break. I went into that info thing you said and it shows picture of car . Where it shows the battery it’s like 3 bars on battery , should it be more? I’m really terrible with understanding all these things . Therefore thank you for explaining. Do you have the e skyactiv x as well , the updated 2021 model . How do you find it .

#8 ·
your welcome ! ive managed to get it to fill all bars , just through the way you drive. Mines the Sktactiv G had her a year in august, due to the pandemic i only use the car 3 to 4 times a month at the moment as i have the use of a company vehicle ( for work hours only ) this will be my 9th Mazda now since 2009
Thank you . How do you find the G. So what is your driving style to be able to get the battery to fill all the bars. Also I know a silly question but when does the car actually drive via electric. How do you know ?

#9 ·
Thank you . How do you find the G. So what is your driving style to be able to get the battery to fill all the bars. Also I know a silly question but when does the car actually drive via electric. How do you know ?
It doesn't drive via electric as such, the Hybrid part really powers the electrics of the car so its not a bigger push on the engine, i let off the accelerator early, brake slower so it regens etc, i love Mazda, to be honest I've loved all of my Mazda's and have a fantastic relationship with my dealers ( same sales guy for 9 years ) my biggest gripe is the wing mirror position, they need to be further forward to the front of the car. been getting fantastic MPG and managed 289 miles on just over half a tank

#16 ·
It seems there are 2 separate issues here. Actual charging of the hybrid battery and the alert for low battery risk. From everything I have seen, they have nothing to do with each other.
First, until I saw this thread, I didn't even know about the 'hybrid' charging. Was that ever available in US? Apparently it was on 2.0 both G and X systems. Current models only have 2.5 here.
Does that use one battery or 2? What I read elsewhere said one larger 24volt - is that correct? Non hybrid cars don't have a battery level indicator as some posts here mention. (at least I have not found it on mine). If the battery is low on the indicator does it have enough reserve to start? I understand the regen and charging, but not sure how it uses it differently than the non-hybrid system.
The second issue from last post is the 'low battery RISK' warning. This is not specific to the M-hybrid. I have this warning and also find it very annoying. It is not saying your battery is low. It is completely based on time doors were open and computer being woke up. Running to clear it is not to charge the battery, just to satisfy a 5 minute run timer. Not going into it any further here as there is already a large thread going - Low Voltage Risk-Start Engine alarm | Mazda CX‌-30 Forum (cx30talk.com)

#17 ·
It seems there are 2 separate issues here. Actual charging of the hybrid battery and the alert for low battery risk. From everything I have seen, they have nothing to do with each other.
First, until I saw this thread, I didn't even know about the 'hybrid' charging. Was that ever available in US? Apparently it was on 2.0 both G and X systems. Current models only have 2.5 here.
Does that use one battery or 2? What I read elsewhere said one larger 24volt - is that correct? Non hybrid cars don't have a battery level indicator as some posts here mention. (at least I have not found it on mine). If the battery is low on the indicator does it have enough reserve to start? I understand the regen and charging, but not sure how it uses it differently than the non-hybrid system.
The second issue from last post is the 'low battery RISK' warning. This is not specific to the M-hybrid. I have this warning and also find it very annoying. It is not saying your battery is low. It is completely based on time doors were open and computer being woke up. Running to clear it is not to charge the battery, just to satisfy a 5 minute run timer. Not going into it any further here as there is already a large thread going - Low Voltage Risk-Start Engine alarm | Mazda CX‌-30 Forum (cx30talk.com)
Hi,

yes, they are two different things. The center display in the car shows the charge and use of the Mild Hybrid (in this case e-Skyactiv X). Battery low warning is separate issue and has nothing to do with this "Hybrid battery", as you correctly mentioned.

Here is short description of Mazda CX-30 M-hybrid:
"When you decelerate, the integrated starter motor generator produces electricity which is stored in a 24 volt battery. This electricity is used for a number of purposes including starting the engine and providing motor assistance when you pull away. It can also power the car’s electrical systems."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.