Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 2021 GS AWD LP MGM
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just got my own 2021 CX-30 GS AWD with Luxury Package in the colour Machine Grey Metallic!!! It's my first new car, and I got the 100th Mazda anniversary, Military and Newly Graduate rebates! I love the dual-coloured (blue/black) interior. From more experienced car owners in general, please let me know what I need to know. I would really appreciate any help with regards to maintenance as in which synthetic oil do you use, which products for this and that, etc. I used to do the mechanical works on the cars (old Honda Civic, old Honda CR-V and about 5 y-o Toyota Rav4) at home with my dad when I still lived with my parents (basic wheel change, brakes and brake pads change, putting more oil, putting distilled water in for the radiator), but I now live at the other end of the country now (Canada), so I gotta do a lot without my dad. I briefly went through the Owner's Manual and mostly read about the Break-In Period and quickly glanced through the Maintenance Schedule section.

With regards to why I chose the CX-30

I knew I wanted a crossover because a compact car is fine but I needed the extra ground clearance and SUVs are too big for me (and also too expensive for my budget now and too expensive on gas). I did my own research on which car I wanted and how to negotiate at dealerships by watching countless Youtube videos and read a multitude of car reviews, Reddit and different forums. I had test-driven the Kia Seltos, the Hyundai Kona and the Honda HR-V as well as the Mazda CX-30. I was also interested in the Subaru Crosstrek, but decided in the end that I didn't like the form factor (very soccer-mom vibes). I didn't bother with the Toyota C-HR because it didn't offer a version with AWD, which was a must for me as I live in Canada and I like to do outdoor activities that sometime require me to drive on some off-road. I did some research on CVTs and Dual-Clutch transmissions and concluded that 6-Speed-Automatic transmissions were better (more reliable and cheaper to repair in the long run). I also did some research on the different AWD systems (i-Activ AWD from Mazda vs HTRAC AWD from Hyundai vs Dynamax AWD from Kia vs Real Time AWD from Honda, and concluded that they were honestly about the same; Subaru's AWD was a bit more proven and that was the reason why I was a bit interested in the Crosstrek at first. I first test-drove the CX-30, and I loved everything of it, but had to shop around to see if there were betters deals. The Kia Seltos was less expensive and spatious, but felt cheap in the cabin and very unexciting when driving. The Hyundai Kona was good (I also managed to negotiate down to the invoice price with two different dealerships), but on my test-drive, I tested the acceleration and could smell the transmission fluid heating up, so... eliminated. The HR-V was great (I was leaning towards the Sports trim in orange colour) with so much space (especially with the Magic Seats) and so many features on the Sport trim, but it felt a bit cheap and the 1.8 L engine made me grimace a bit (I was imagining the difficulty when going up some high percentage asphalt/off-road slopes). After my experiences with different cars, I just came back to the CX-30 and tried it again. I loved how sitting in it and driving it felt. Yes, the backrow is a bit cramped, but I bought the car for me, not for others. I also checked the safety ratings (NTHSA and IIHS) and the CX-30 is very safe indeed (top marks). So yeah, my research brought me to get the CX-30!

With regards to which trim/option I chose

The GX trim only had a 2.0 L engine, and the GT trim just had too many features I didn't need (real leather seats, Bose sound system, SiriusXM) and the Adaptative Front-Lighting System (AFS) only on the GT trim was apparently deemed too bright and unsafe by the IIHS so I went with the GS trim. Also, from what I read, Cylinder Deactivation hurts your engine a bit in the long term and that was on the GT trim. The Luxury Package was a last minute decision (I can afford it kind of thing). As for the colour (it's personal taste of course), I really like the Soul Red Crystal, but thought there was too much of a clash with the wheel arch cladding (also thought of insurance premiums for red cars in some Canadian provinces). I went with the Machine Grey Metallic because it was more toned down and camouflaged the cladding the best! Jet Black Mica or Polymetal Grey Metallic would have been good too, but the dark grey colour was truly the best IMO. I am not a fan of the other colours, although Sonic Silver Metallic would have been okay. I don't like blue (Deep Crystal Blue Mica) or white (Snowflake White Pearl) cars, and the Titanium Flash Mica just looked plain too old to me (sorry to those who like it).

With regards to cheap significant upgrades, I've been reading that you can buy a Mazda Navigation SD card from Amazon/Ebay. I think the right code for the 2021 CX-30 is BDGF 66 EZ1. Can anyone confirm/share their experience? Would this void any warranty whatsoever?

Here are some pictures (it was rainy the day I got it):

Thanks for reading everyone!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making a great decision.

I recommend going with the synthetic oil recommended in your manual. Change it as recommended in the manual which I believe is 5,000 miles. Regular oil changes is the most important thing for a long vehicle life. Beyond that, follow the manual for maintenance. Have the brake fluid changed every other year. This was not in my manual but it is important for safety.

For the winters in Canada, I recommend buying a second set of wheels and winter tires. AWD helps you go but winter tires will help you stop. While a big up front cost, your tires will last twice as long. If you do it yourself, buy a good jack and jack stands

I am a huge fan of the Mazda SD card navigation system you can get from Amazon for almost nothing. While Waze and other phone based systems are better systems, the Mazda system is so easy to use, I have it on 100% of the time. No problem with the warranty.

Enjoy your new Mazda. It should last many years and serve you well.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda CX30 SP (Sport Plus)
112 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your nre ride. Thanks for the pixs, good looking car.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
486 Posts
welcome and congrats from an "old" CX-30 GS owner from south eastern Ontario. I just recently got the SD card from Amazon - $75 + tax. Works great, same system in the 2021 model.

I considered many of the vehicles you mentioned and the finish of the interior won it over for me as well the whole vehicle just seemed a class above all the others in the similar size. The Seltos was a close second but your comments mirrored mine.

Been to Victoria and have friends on Vancouver Island.

Reactions: Patagucci_X

·
Registered
2020 CX 30 FWD Preferred
18 Posts
Hey Patagucci,

Great write-up! You described in detail why you chose the CX-30 compared to other options, the trim level and even the color that works best for you. We can all relate going through the same process and I enjoy reading others’ opinions comparing the CX-30 to competitors, why they chose a certain trim level, etc..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello all,

Just got my own 2021 CX-30 GS AWD with Luxury Package in the colour Machine Grey Metallic!!! It's my first new car, and I got the 100th Mazda anniversary, Military and Newly Graduate rebates! I love the dual-coloured (blue/black) interior. From more experienced car owners in general, please let me know what I need to know. I would really appreciate any help with regards to maintenance as in which synthetic oil do you use, which products for this and that, etc. I used to do the mechanical works on the cars (old Honda Civic, old Honda CR-V and about 5 y-o Toyota Rav4) at home with my dad when I still lived with my parents (basic wheel change, brakes and brake pads change, putting more oil, putting distilled water in for the radiator), but I now live at the other end of the country now (Canada), so I gotta do a lot without my dad. I briefly went through the Owner's Manual and mostly read about the Break-In Period and quickly glanced through the Maintenance Schedule section.

I knew I wanted a crossover because a compact car is fine but I needed the extra ground clearance and SUVs are too big for me (and also too expensive for my budget now and too expensive on gas). I did my own research on which car I wanted and how to negotiate at dealerships by watching countless Youtube videos and read a multitude of car reviews, Reddit and different forums. I had test-driven the Kia Seltos, the Hyundai Kona and the Honda HR-V as well as the Mazda CX-30. I was also interested in the Subaru Crosstrek, but decided in the end that I didn't like the form factor (very soccer-mom vibes). I didn't bother with the Toyota C-HR because it didn't offer a version with AWD, which was a must for me as I live in Canada and I like to do outdoor activities that sometime require me to drive on some off-road. I did some research on CVTs and Dual-Clutch transmissions and concluded that 6-Speed-Automatic transmissions were better (more reliable and cheaper to repair in the long run). I also did some research on the different AWD systems (i-Activ AWD from Mazda vs HTRAC AWD from Hyundai vs Dynamax AWD from Kia vs Real Time AWD from Honda, and concluded that they were honestly about the same; Subaru's AWD was a bit more proven and that was the reason why I was a bit interested in the Crosstrek at first. I first test-drove the CX-30, and I loved everything of it, but had to shop around to see if there were betters deals. The Kia Seltos was less expensive and spatious, but felt cheap in the cabin and very unexciting when driving. The Hyundai Kona was good (I also managed to negotiate down to the invoice price with two different dealerships), but on my test-drive, I tested the acceleration and could smell the transmission fluid heating up, so... eliminated. The HR-V was great (I was leaning towards the Sports trim in orange colour) with so much space (especially with the Magic Seats) and so many features on the Sport trim, but it felt a bit cheap and the 1.8 L engine made me grimace a bit (I was imagining the difficulty when going up some high percentage asphalt/off-road slopes). After my experiences with different cars, I just came back to the CX-30 and tried it again. I loved how sitting in it and driving it felt. Yes, the backrow is a bit cramped, but I bought the car for me, not for others. I also checked the safety ratings (NTHSA and IIHS) and the CX-30 is very safe indeed (top marks). So yeah, my research brought me to get the CX-30!

The GX trim only had a 2.0 L engine, and the GT trim just had too many features I didn't need (real leather seats, Bose sound system, SiriusXM) and the Adaptative Front-Lighting System (AFS) only on the GT trim was apparently deemed too bright and unsafe by the IIHS so I went with the GS trim. Also, from what I read, Cylinder Deactivation hurts your engine a bit in the long term and that was on the GT trim. The Luxury Package was a last minute decision (I can afford it kind of thing). As for the colour (it's personal taste of course), I really like the Soul Red Crystal, but thought there was too much of a clash with the wheel arch cladding (also thought of insurance premiums for red cars in some Canadian provinces). I went with the Machine Grey Metallic because it was more toned down and camouflaged the cladding the best! Jet Black Mica or Polymetal Grey Metallic would have been good too, but the dark grey colour was truly the best IMO. I am not a fan of the other colours, although Sonic Silver Metallic would have been okay. I don't like blue (Deep Crystal Blue Mica) or white (Snowflake White Pearl) cars, and the Titanium Flash Mica just looked plain too old to me (sorry to those who like it).

With regards to cheap significant upgrades, I've been reading that you can buy a Mazda Navigation SD card from Amazon/Ebay. I think the right code for the 2021 CX-30 is BDGF 66 EZ1. Can anyone confirm/share their experience? Would this void any warranty whatsoever?

Here are some pictures (it was rainy the day I got it): View attachment 1033 View attachment 1034 View attachment 1035 View attachment 1036 View attachment 1037 View attachment 1038 View attachment 1039

Hello all,

Here are some pictures (it was rainy the day I got it): View attachment 1033 View attachment 1034 View attachment 1035 View attachment 1036 View attachment 1037 View attachment 1038 View attachment 1039

Great review on the mid-level trim model, Patagucci. Like you, I drove all of the comparo models as rentals on my biz trips, also including VERY nice KIA Niro (!) Ford Escape, Volvo XC60 and XC40, Mazda 3, et. al.. Dream car was a Porsche Macan, for which I created a US $50K CD four years ago...(Yeah, I'm old). What completely sealed the deal for me was opening the door and looking in. What a classy interior...that two toned color scheme, so nicely designed!

Then, the driving experience (once that I had the dealer adjust the tire pressure from 41 to 36 PSI...) On the two day test drive, I kept commenting, "This SUV should NOT handle this well!" Negotiations weren't hard. Dealers aren't fleecing us on these cars versus Euro competition...Fr'instance...I have the US "Premium" edition, including lane keep assist, blind spot warning, adaptive cruise control, Bose, sunroof, partial leather, active headlight package, aluminiun roof rails (US $470 for Macan!), keyless entry and drive, et. al.... Just those "accessories" on a Macan would cost more than US $ 10K.

The value proposition on this car is IMHO unbeatable, regardless of make, or if you're a douche, "marque."

So, thanks for the photos. I was taken by the rear shot, between parking stripes. I own several Japanese cooking and pocket knives, all of which exhibit beautiful reflective patterns. That "parenthesis" on your trunk is neat. The designers of this car sculpted the lines in the tradition of their knives. Mazdas slice their way through air the way Japanese knives cut through whatever's on my cutting board.

I really wanted Machine Gray, but none available here in NC when I needed a car. I've grown to really like the Polymetal Gray, as it incredibly seems to change color (hence polymetal?) depending on the light. Whatever, keep it clean with the best waxes or ceramics and Poorboy's "Spray and Wipe" or Griot's "Speedshine" as needed. Spend the money you saved to buy a ton of microfiber towels.
Glad you're young and don't (cough) require the adaptive LED lighting. That said, the package includes automatic dimming. It has worked without fail. I always beat the oncoming car in the duel to dim the headlights. Plus, I've probably saved a dozen roadside effin' DEER. The lights really are bright. I live in a an area with hilly, twisty roads. Headlights that swivel in the turns are plus.
Bose audio came with the package, so...not bad. I'm an audiophile. My initial impression...meh...mid-fi for the masses. BUT, applying the same formula as for home systems...break-in period! I took some joyrides and cranked The Who's "Live at Leeds (Amazing Journey track)" to 11 for a couple of cycles. Now A-OK for "good" mid-fi...good punch and transients.
Thanks for your erudite review!
Faux Paws,
PS: RUN, don't walk to get the online navigation chip. Search earlier posts for instruc's. It works, and I like it better for local rides...better road names in real time. Google for longer trips into the unknown...
PPS: Spring for the Mazda rubber mats. Winter is coming...

·
Registered
2020 AWD GS with lux pack in Snowflake white
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum, we have the same model but in white and also live in Victoria. Recently had a few days in Tofino, on the 830km trip we got approx. 41 mpg (6.85 l/100km) which I think is amazing. Love the car and have added a couple of items to it from Amazon like the lower front grille and center console organizer tray, I also got the Nav SD card but returned it as it never worked as it should i.e. random shut downs. Enjoy your CX30 (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
BC plates, military and new graduate rebate?

Sounds like you're on OJT... Westies? 39 svc brigade? Discovery?

I bought a 2021 cx-30 as well, im on OJT at cfrc pacific (new west)

Seems like 2Lts think alike...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wait that's Esquimalt...

DON'T TELL ME UR A11 LOL

Savenko? Bobrov? Zhou?

Please tell me you are not bobrov

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BC plates, military and new graduate rebate?

Sounds like you're on OJT... Westies? 39 svc brigade? Discovery?

I bought a 2021 cx-30 as well, im on OJT at cfrc pacific (new west)

Seems like 2Lts think alike...
Not on OJT! I graduated in May 2019, so I was still eligible to the newly grad rebate :) I’m posted to CFB Esquimalt (Navy engineer) :p

·
Registered
‘17 CX-9 Signature & ‘19 Mazda 6 GS
15 Posts
Hello all,

congrats on the new ride and on being a Mazda owner! You can just search in Amazon.ca the Mazda SD card for Nav - bought mine last March for $89 all in and worked after 1min after plugging it in and so far works fine. Saved almost $500 than buying it from the dealer!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
congrats on the new ride and on being a Mazda owner! You can just search in Amazon.ca the Mazda SD card for Nav - bought mine last March for $89 all in and worked after 1min after plugging it in and so far works fine. Saved almost $500 than buying it from the dealer!
I did! I got it for about $80 off Amazon.ca. I also just updated it to the latest version yesterday, and it still works, so I'm quite happy.

·
Registered
Mazda CX-30 GT
39 Posts
1. Great colour to hide minor dust and dirt - congrats!
2. Do NOT touch your instrument cluster glass with anything (almost)y, it scratches easily.
3. Navigation is nice if you have HUD on your windshield, BUT it's super annoying to enter addresses as voice recognition on this car is nonsense, also lots of things are missing on the map - just connect your phone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts