Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GT Polymetal Gray
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t speak to other markets that do not get the Mexican built CX-30.

If you have them, get rid of the gawdawful Bridgestone Turanza stock tires.

Ride quality, steering and handling with better tires transforms an already good car to a great one.

·
Registered
'21 CX-30 2.5 Sky G Pref AWD Red
157 Posts
Maybe it's cause my last car was a hunk of junk, but I have no issue with these tires. I am curious though for future reference - what did you switch to?

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 3 Premium Hatch polymetal gray over red/blk
222 Posts
I can’t speak to other markets that do not get the Mexican built CX-30.

If you have them, get rid of the gawdawful Bridgestone Turanza stock tires.

Ride quality, steering and handling with better tires transforms an already good car to a great one.
The Toyos on my 3 were equally awful, really compromised the car as a whole. The car being pretty good anyway you do not realize how much better it can be until the crappy tires are scrapped.
I went with Vredesteins 225/45/18. They are much quieter, better riding, and grippier, especially in the wet. Had I known the difference, I would had changed them soon after delivery instead of waiting for ruining of one the Toyos at 10,000 miles.

I am stumped by why Mazda would sell them this way. If it saves them 500 dollars per car, it ain't worth it.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
944 Posts
that's all good and well, but what does this cost? I have no problems with the OEM tires so far and will wait till actual replacement is required and then I will switch.

Reactions: KAB

·
Registered
222 Posts
that's all good and well, but what does this cost? I have no problems with the OEM tires so far and will wait till actual replacement is required and then I will switch.
That makes the best economic sense if you are not so particular. I think the changeover cost in total for me was about $750 U.S. For me it was money well spent, but for others I can see why they would rather use the money elsewhere, or just save it and that is probably the smart thing.. That is why I did not opt for changing the wheels as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Another consideration is winter driving. We don’t get really bad snow here, so all-season tires are generally all year here. I work second shift, so a few inches accumulation on the roads is not uncommon. I expect the AWD and stock tires will handle that just fine. But for snow, wider is not better.

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
270 Posts
I'm interested in the new Firestone Destination LE3, or something LE3. They are very highly rated, 2nd in the ratings on tirerack.com and well over $100 a set less expensive than the slightly higher rated Michelins.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

In my case mine came with snow tires on the stock mags. Normally I’ll buy smaller diameter /narrower snow tires and inexpensive mags (or steel wheels) but this was not an option.

So the obvious choice was to leave the (excellent X-ice) on the stock wheels and put the stock all season tires on new wheels.

I like to have 2 sets of wheels to avoid the higher cost of seasonal changeover and bead wear. I had no experience with the Turanzas but the difference with the Michelins was dramatic.

So part of the problem was being spoiled by really good tires. Since I had 8” wheels for the summer I was easily convinced to go for wider lower profile rubber. Ideally I would have gone for Michelin Pilot Sport but too expensive and I was less interested in pure sport but in a good compromise.

The Continentals I found on liquidation was an offer I could not refuse and with the rebate and road hazard with roadside assistance was hard to beat.

So all said and done, I paid to buy the mags, TPMS sensors and mounting and balancing for the stock tires. It was a bit of a premium from the dealer but I got really good advice about the wheel choice.

Hated the setup, did some research and found the Contis on liquidation. So then I had to have them mounted and balanced them a wheel alignment for good measure.

Given our legally mandated snow tire legislation and the fact I plan on keeping the car (that I bought outright) for at least 8-10 years made it worthwhile. (I probably would not have done this on a leased car).

Your case is likely different. But with over 40 years of car ownership I’ve learned to never skimp on tires. OEM tires are not warranted adequately so if you have a road hazard issue the cost to replace can be ridiculous. To replace a crappy tire you will have to replace in pairs of the same type or opt for aftermarket when you are less likely to be prepared for the expense.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Any issues with the smaller diameter vs the 215/55-18 OE? Tire Size Comparison
I Have a Mazda 3 not 30 so my experience does not translate directly to my forum mates here. I hope you guys do not mind me hanging out here, as I have an interest in CX30s and have learned things helpful to me as a 3 owner here as well. I am also active on the 3 forum.
So in my case diameter is actually increased vs the 215/45/18 stock. With a 1.6% difference, it can only have a negative if very small effect on acceleration and unsprung weight, and theoretically ,speedo error.
I cannot detect those negatives, seat of the pants. The positives are much more apparent, plush ride, better grip and slightly better wheel well fill.
I have not checked speedo error, but traditionally factory errors make speeds read a little fast. Heck, it might have improved accuracy. That is something I need to check.
I have a steep driveway entrance. An extra 3/10s inches ground clearance is not much, but for my situation, it helps. As you know 3s do not have an overabundance of ground clearance. A turbo 3 , with its low air dam, could not get up my driveway.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I Have a Mazda 3 not 30 so my experience does not translate directly to my forum mates here. I hope you guys do not mind me hanging out here, as I have an interest in CX30s and have learned things helpful to me as a 3 owner here as well. I am also active on the 3 forum.
So in my case diameter is actually increased vs the 215/45/18 stock. With a 1.6% difference, it can only have a negative if very small effect on acceleration and unsprung weight, and theoretically ,speedo error.
I cannot detect those negatives, seat of the pants. The positives are much more apparent, plush ride, better grip and slightly better wheel well fill.
I have not checked speedo error, but traditionally factory errors make speeds read a little fast. Heck, it might have improved accuracy. That is something I need to check.
I have a steep driveway entrance. An extra 3/10s inches ground clearance is not much, but for my situation, it helps. As you know 3s do not have an overabundance of ground clearance. A turbo 3 , with its low air dam, could not get up my driveway.
Didn't catch that it was a 3, but no prob. Good to see the differences. Maybe get your vehicle details in so it pops up with screen name... I saw a 3 hatchback in a parking lot before I got the 30. Loved the look, but there is a good chance we could move near my son's place in Western PA in the coming years. Lot's of rough and/or unpaved roads, ups and downs.. Decent ground clearance was high on my requirements list.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Didn't catch that it was a 3, but no prob. Good to see the differences. Maybe get your vehicle details in so it pops up with screen name...
Good advise taken.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good advise taken.
I liked that 'feature' here first time I got on the site. I'm on other car forums that don't have that and it definitely saves a lot of confusion and re-stating what we have. Actually just edited mine, while correct, the S seamed to cause confusion. I guess that is for the 'sport' function/switch?, but there is an S model and mine is Preferred. The flag helps greatly as well as I had no idea how much the model names and options vary by country/region.

·
Premium Member
2021 CX-30 S 2.5L white/black
270 Posts
According to the tirerack website the lightest 18" wheel is about 1.5 pounds heavier than the lightest 16" wheel. The two top rated tires in 18" are 2 pounds heavier than the 2 top rated tires in 16". So someone with an S like mine could save 3.5 pounds per corner, 14 pounds of unsprung weight, by working with lightest 16" options. Fourteen pounds isn't a huge amount but when it is unsprung it's kind of a big deal.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm interested in the new Firestone Destination LE3, or something LE3. They are very highly rated, 2nd in the ratings on tirerack.com and well over $100 a set less expensive than the slightly higher rated Michelins.
I haven't ran the LE 3's yet. I have run the original LE and currently have the LE 2's on a 2013 CRV. I have no complaints with them.

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD Turbo - Build 3/21
6 Posts
In my case mine came with snow tires on the stock mags. Normally I’ll buy smaller diameter /narrower snow tires and inexpensive mags (or steel wheels) but this was not an option.

So the obvious choice was to leave the (excellent X-ice) on the stock wheels and put the stock all season tires on new wheels.

I like to have 2 sets of wheels to avoid the higher cost of seasonal changeover and bead wear. I had no experience with the Turanzas but the difference with the Michelins was dramatic.

So part of the problem was being spoiled by really good tires. Since I had 8” wheels for the summer I was easily convinced to go for wider lower profile rubber. Ideally I would have gone for Michelin Pilot Sport but too expensive and I was less interested in pure sport but in a good compromise.

The Continentals I found on liquidation was an offer I could not refuse and with the rebate and road hazard with roadside assistance was hard to beat.

So all said and done, I paid to buy the mags, TPMS sensors and mounting and balancing for the stock tires. It was a bit of a premium from the dealer but I got really good advice about the wheel choice.

Hated the setup, did some research and found the Contis on liquidation. So then I had to have them mounted and balanced them a wheel alignment for good measure.

Given our legally mandated snow tire legislation and the fact I plan on keeping the car (that I bought outright) for at least 8-10 years made it worthwhile. (I probably would not have done this on a leased car).

Your case is likely different. But with over 40 years of car ownership I’ve learned to never skimp on tires. OEM tires are not warranted adequately so if you have a road hazard issue the cost to replace can be ridiculous. To replace a crappy tire you will have to replace in pairs of the same type or opt for aftermarket when you are less likely to be prepared for the expense.
What rims did you get for the DWS06s, and what is the offset?

Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
After a fun ride on some wet roads today, I can honestly say, I see little reason to upgrade my tires. I suppose there could be some 'comfort' gains as it does feel the imperfections in the road. But, I thought it had great traction through turns. Had one spot I was at a stop on an incline and it was very sure footed in an uphill launch. Now that said, I don't have the turbo. So, with an extra 64 hp if I'm not mistaken- yeh I can see where the OP could use a bigger footprint.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What rims did you get for the DWS06s, and what is the offset?

Thanks!
Fast FC04 18x8, 40mm offset in Titanium. This added 5mm inboard and 15mm outboard which makes them more flush to the wheel opening (but barely noticeable honestly). They are 8 lbs lighter than stock, however the Contis added back 3lbs.

Still, 5lbs less unsprung weight per corner is nothing to sneeze at.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts