Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While tracking fuel efficiency over the last few tanks, I noticed something quirky about the fuel gauge. Specifically, the the first quarter tank will usually yield around 200kms of driving, second quarter around 140kms, third quarter 120kms, etc...

The overall trip calculator and trip averages seem to work as intended, however this is definitely unexpected behaviour for a fuel gauge. Ideally, I would like each tick mark increment to represent the same amount of fuel/distance (assuming constant efficiency).

I've controlled for other variables here by driving on the highway (same sustained speed) in the same direction for long stretches of time over several tanks so it's definitely the fuel gauge here. 2020 GS FWD in Canada. Curious if other owners have noticed something similar or is my gauge just uncalibrated?

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's asymmetric to be sure. I pushed it the other day, to get some idea as to range available. The main gas gauge was reading less than 1/8th tank, and the mini-gauge said it had about 50 miles to go at current usage before empty. Then the warning light came on, right after the 50 mile mark, and was down to 28 miles left at the gas station, which actually WAS about 22 miles down the road. The mini-gauge and warning light are the ones to trust...

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
705 Posts
sounds normal to me, but haven't checked that close on my CX-30 as it takes many weeks to use up one tank, but from what I recall it was the same in all past vehicles I've owned.
I just wait for the low fuel light to come on and fill it up. I notice that the range indicator drops in 10 kim intervalls but when it gets to below 50 km it shows each individual km change.

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GT - Skyactive G - 2.5 L AWD
284 Posts
It's asymmetric to be sure. I pushed it the other day, to get some idea as to range available. The main gas gauge was reading less than 1/8th tank, and the mini-gauge said it had about 50 miles to go at current usage before empty. Then the warning light came on, right after the 50 mile mark, and was down to 28 miles left at the gas station, which actually WAS about 22 miles down the road. The mini-gauge and warning light are the ones to trust...
I know what you mean by mini gauge but it is more a visual display of km/mi range. If you change it to a type 2 display you just get the km/mi

·
Registered
2019 Mazda CX-30 2.5 base USA
3 Posts
Colleagues, I also see that the fuel gauge is not working properly. A specific case, I refueled almost with an empty tank, filled 20 liters, and got 2/3 of the tank on the devices !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts