Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda CX-30 Turbo Premium (Polymetal Gray)
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my 2021 CX-30 Turbo Premium tomorrow. I've never owned a Turbo but all of a sudden two people I know told me to get a catch can installed when I get the car because it's a Turbo. Mazda has control of this, from what I can find. Any thoughts on the catch can issue or is this another gimmick that doesn't really help anything? Thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
A “catch can” is an aftermarket device installed in the PCV line, it’s essentially a small collection vessel to keep blow-by oil out of the intake and must be emptied regularly. Some swear by them, some swear at them. The fact it’s a turbo engine shouldn‘t matter, and to me it’s a wonderful device designed to separate you from some of your cash. YMMV.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda Cx30 GT AWD
37 Posts
Prevent pvc from clogging and prevent carbon build up. Also help with crack pressure issues.

Had it on my 2013 speed 3 and at 210k km plus. Didn't have pvc issues or dirty valves. Mine was pretty clean before I sold it. Still does 22 psi boost on the stock ko4.

Driving distance, climate and elevation plays a big role.
Summer I have to drain it ever end of month. Winter I had to drain it every week with a heater pad mod. Damn -40 Canadian winter

Either there is a perm plate design out there. Installing the OCC is a good preventative maintenance for the turbo engine.

·
Registered
2021 Polymetal CX-30 AWD 2.5L Turbo Premium+
86 Posts
At the least I would consider a turbo timer. A post lube kit wouldn't be a bad idea.
I forgot about turbo timers. If I recall correctly, they're supposed to keep your hot turbo spinning after you shut down so it cools down slowly. The very early Saab & Volvo turbos back in the day ran very hot. Not sure if a timer is as essential these days.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda Cx30 GT AWD
37 Posts
Turbo timer is good to circulate the hot oil from the turbo.

Usually what I do is drive gingerly for 10 min before heading home. Then let it run for 30 second and then turn off.

Don't run cheap oil also.

·
Registered
PAST OWNER OF A AWD 2020 GT CX-30 ceramic coated-curently have a 100th Anniversary edition mazda 3
743 Posts
Turbo timer is good to circulate the hot oil from the turbo.

Usually what I do is drive gingerly for 10 min before heading home. Then let it run for 30 second and then turn off.

Don't run cheap oil also.
speaking of cheep oil.... I dont have much confidence in the Oil Our Canadian Ontario dealers use from petro canada... I think castrol or penzoil platnum plus is allot better.. I will be useing that in my new 100th aniversery mazda 3 sport and not the Cheep petro crap the dealer gets in bulk... whats your option on the petro canada oil if you know anything about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.