Mazda CX‌-30 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the winter tires put on today. Those glossy black rims look really great on the CX-30. The service advisor came up to me and said...they're taking a little longer than expected because one of the tires is pretty stiff and not going on easily. When I got home I put the summer tires in the shed. I took a look at the new Michelin tires. Very nice. Not too noisy at all. But the rims. The RF rim has scratches through the black glossy paint and you can see the under paint. So I ran my thumb nail across the scratches and you can feel that each scratch is pretty deep as it caches the thumbnail.
I now have 150 kms on this car and not owned it a full week yet. So I called the service manager who directed me to send a photo and I did. He wants the rim into the shop to see if it's going to be fixed or replaced.
...What should I have been smart enough to do? Buy steel rims. So that the nice summer rims would not get so much torture during each change over. That's what I get for being cheap. These rims on the CX-30...are not cheap!
What should the technician have done? Applied copious amounts of lubricant to the tires. The other three rims are fine. I took a look at the other rims available for this suv at my local dealer and the ones it came with look nicer than any of those.
Well I guess I'll go over there tomorrow and I'm certain that those scratches are far too deep to make look nice again. What a shame. But on the upside, I'll get a nice new rim compliments of the dealer.

·
Registered
'20 CX-30 AWD, 2000 Millenia & 2006 Mazda3
87 Posts
I'd invest in a second set of wheels & TPMS sensors to cut down on the number of times the wheels get on a tire machine. You might could find a set of Mazda wheels at a discount on Ebay or similar. That would also make it an easier swap from summer to winter tires

·
Registered
2021 CX-30 GT AWD - Machine Grey Metallic
135 Posts
Buy a dedicated set of winter wheels. If you have the space to swap them around yourself in the spring and fall you can save having to schedule time at the shop for that. If storage space is an issue, many dealerships store winter tires/rims for their clients as well.

If a shop damages a wheel like that, then at the very least they should pay to have it repainted/finished. I don't know that it always warrants an entire new rim depending on the depth of the scratches (in your case, you said they were fairly deep).

·
Registered
2020 CX-30 GS FWD, Snowflake White
705 Posts
couldn't you put a more appropriate title to this thread problem, to better help other members - just a suggestion

·
Administrator
2020 CX-30 Skyactiv-X MHEV GT Sport Tech
432 Posts
couldn't you put a more appropriate title to this thread problem, to better help other members - just a suggestion
I've edited the thread title with the agreement of the OP. (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts